Software
Houzz Logo Print
chriswj2

Mantle

9 years ago
Need some help with my mantle.. looks a little sad??

Comments (15)

  • 9 years ago

    Remove all the decorative items from mantel and fireplace area. Add red candlesticks the color of your ottoman and a red vase. Or add two new plants in bright decorative pots. Or remove everything and replace the mirror with colorful artwork the same size. Add a picture light above or below, battery operated ones are on amazon.com.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Your mantel needs color. Find a bright painting that makes you smile. Then, pull out accent colors from the painting to use on the mantel.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I agree regarding a painting instead of the mirror. Also, it's better not to line items across the mantel. Groupings are better. Whether you use the mirror or art work, you don't need much more. Something I've learned, when it comes to mantels, less is more.

  • 9 years ago
    I completely agree with @felizlady- your mirror needs to go as it isn't reflecting anything worth viewing. A large piece of art would be better. I also believe you need to rethink what is on your mantle, or at least how you have the items arranged. An odd number of items would look more appealing I think, and you need to cluster them in groups so as to create a vignette. I would keep the candles where they are and maybe have the vase, a framed photo and the other item grouped together on the other end? Good luck!
  • 9 years ago
    Awww.. I thought a mirror would be ok, I have seen it a lot on Houzz and Pinterest. I had a picture but took it down and replaced with mirror:(
  • 9 years ago
    Across from the mirror is an empty wall that I planned on putting some art work or family pictures..
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    The fan will still be what one sees in the mirror. It would be great to have art over the mantel and on the wall on the opposite side.

  • 9 years ago
    Hi, difficult to advise with decor. Remove everything from mantle, and take pics of mantle, and room.
  • 9 years ago
    I like that mirror, it's a good proportion to the mantle. The arrangement of the items are off, though. Find someone, a friend that's good with placement. The mantle is beautiful.
  • 9 years ago

    Ayanna, it's definitely a lovely mirror and sized right for the mantel. Just not the best thing to have it reflect the ceiling fan.

  • 9 years ago
    No, I don't think it looks sad. Rather it looks too carefully staged. Try again with just a few items on the mantle. Maybe just a picture and the two small candles. Try a few changes and post pictures.
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks Guys.. so I moved the mirror down and now I can see myself lol.. I will work on some color for I definitely can use that. What about something colored that will go in the vase?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Other photos of space would be helpful in determining what would look best in your space. What style of decor do you prefer and colors?

  • 9 years ago

    Here is a few ideas I found on Pinterest....good luck!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH