Software
Houzz Logo Print
ajrmcr

Pocket door for everyday use?

9 years ago

We are in the process of planning for a master bathroom renovation. The idea of a pocket door has been floated. Not as a necessity, but rather to allow a better visual field. When the door is currently opened it opens toward the bathtub. The pocket would allow for a "prettier" view of the tub. LOL. The pocket door would come at a cost as we would have to move electric. For those of you with pocket door experience, is it worth the added cost? Is it functional to use daily? How about moisture?


Thanks!

Comments (18)

  • 9 years ago
    I have one pocket door in my home. It is for my powder room and I HATE it! There is always a problem with it. Heavy. Hard to close and noisy. I am going to replace it. My experience .
    ajrmcr thanked Tammy Smith
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you so much! This is exactly the type of advice I'm looking for!

  • 9 years ago

    I have a few pocket doors in my home an they are there because there is an issue with space on the other side of the door (re furniture placement) and they are always closed hidden. I agree, wouldn't spend any extra $$ just to have a better view of the tub spend that money somewhere else.

    ajrmcr thanked Angel 18432
  • 9 years ago
    I have a pocket door between my master bedroom and bathroom. We really like it. It's 13 years old and functions perfectly. I sometimes feel a draft coming from the frame but it's only a slight draft.
    ajrmcr thanked Christina Anderson
  • 9 years ago

    We have a pocket door between kitchen and office. Usually it's left open to benefit from natural light in office. I love it, personally. I like the way it slides to close - feels good to me. Upstairs in master bath, we recently switched to barn door. I know most people don't like barn doors so I'm not necessarily recommending that but I do really enjoy the view of the tub/window from the master when the door is partially open. I didn't anticipate that benefit. LOL - I get to admire all the $$$ I spent on the master bath remodel that way!

    ajrmcr thanked m_gabriel
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    how about if you replaced your bathroom door with a glass one, with a blind inside of it? you could leave the blind up most of the time, or down, tilted level, you'd only need to tilt it *up* for privacy.

    but i'm thinking if you are in the planning stage for a renovation, moving the electricals to allow for pocket doors would be the very least of your expenses.

    or keep trying on the layout to allow the door to swing the other way.


    ajrmcr thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Thanks everyone! I'm leaning toward a no but I want to make a rational decision. The door swings in now and we will be actually gaining space because we are replacing a tub with surround with a free standing tub. Given the comments I've read from people having problems with their pocket door, I think I'll for go the costs and use a door stop! Thanks again!

  • 9 years ago
    I have a barn door to the master bath. Electrical didn't have to change. Another option for you.
    ajrmcr thanked simstress
  • 9 years ago

    Are you sure you need a door at all? We have two in our master bath and never use either one. After 30 years, its not a big deal and we have other bathrooms.

    ajrmcr thanked suzyq53
  • 9 years ago
    I have lived with pocket doors and truly disliked them. Had to have them because there were no other options that would work well. When designing my new house, pocket doors were to be avoided at all costs (along with corner sinks). In an area where they are used daily, they are annoying. Double pocket doors for entrance into a dinning room or living room is a different story though. A pocket door into a regularly used bathroom just doesn't cut it imo.
    ajrmcr thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    We have solid core pocket doors on either side of our bed in the master and love it. We added some hardware from Baldwin on the door and a pull on the side that gave them an elegant feel. One of them opens to the ensuite with a view of the tub and shower. We bought a Panasonic Whisper Ceiling 150 CFM bathroom fan to help with moisture and have had no problems. Plus it's pretty quiet. Pocket doors were worth it for us. No regrets. We can close them when we want but rarely do.

    ajrmcr thanked tmcorkum
  • 9 years ago

    We have several pocket doors in our house, including into the master bathroom - and we have no issue at all with them. They're sturdy, the mechanisms are fine, and we can leave them open or closed as we choose. The one for the bathroom is closed when the bathroom is in use, open when it's not; the ones for the walk in closet and pantry are open most of the time. We put them in purely for space-saving, though, not for aesthetics.

    ajrmcr thanked jmm1837
  • 9 years ago
    I am researching pockets doors, too. There must be a big difference in quality. Thinking of putting one between master and future sunroom, want bigger than 36" but less than 70"., so I think it will have to be custom. Thanks for all the input.
    ajrmcr thanked jonio
  • 9 years ago
    Ours was here when we bought the house. It is 20+ years old and still works perfectly.
    My only complaints are that it isn't kind to little fingers, and it doesn't lock to keep those little fingers out when I am in the shower.
    ajrmcr thanked Casandra383 Dean
  • 9 years ago

    We have a pocket door to our walk-in closet and it works fine -- easy to open and close, keeps the cats out. Not sure I'd like to have to use the privacy lock on one in the bathroom, though, just because they're fiddly.

    ajrmcr thanked acm
  • 9 years ago

    We recently redid our master bathroom and replaced a very cheap 1970's pocket door with a new better one. We used Johnson 2000 series hardware (which cost a little bit more than the usual stuff you see, but is much better made), and a door with a frosted glass panel. Our carpenter found it all to be easy to install and was impressed with how sturdy the tracks and slides were. The door slides effortlessly and looks great. We are very happy with it.

    ajrmcr thanked disfromage
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    A pocket door is often the best solution. The heavy duty Johnson hardware is good but there is much better by other companies. 2 superior sources with soft close hardware https://www.richelieu.com    http://www.sugatsune.com

    ajrmcr thanked Lehman Design Studio