Software
Houzz Logo Print
emccarron

Valor Heat Shift with TV above

9 years ago

I am getting a Valor gas fireplace installed and would like to put a TV above it. I understand that it's better to also purchase the Valor heat shift technology. However, I was told that if I do that, I cannot recess my TV behind a cabinet. I am not required to purchase the heat shift and the manufacturer specs will safely allow for a TV above the gas fireplace recessed behind a cabinet. My question is, should I go this route (no heat shift) because it is what I prefer aesthetically? Or, is the heat shift such a great a benefit and will more likely keep my television safe that I should forgo my design preference, get heat shift and just let the TV be exposed? Any ideas?

Comments (14)

  • 9 years ago

    You should be fine if you install the TV as directed by the manufacturer's installation instructions when not using the heat shift add on. I am not familiar with this fireplace but from what I read the heat shift relies on convection air to allow heat to rise to the ceiling above the fireplace. I am not sure how well this works compared to a more traditional design which uses a fan to push air out the bottom of the fireplace.

    I would however consider installing the heat shift kit if the TV could be moved lower so it is eye level. In my opinion the best HDTV viewing experience is to have the screen at eye level so it can fill your field of view. I find looking up at a LCD screen at an angle to be uncomfortable. There is also a noticeable change in contrast on some LCD screens as the viewing angle becomes more shallow. This is something you should consider as part of your decision process.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If you look at page 10 of the Valor heat shift installation manual, you can use the picture as inspiration and make your mantle jut out a bit so your fireplace can be installed that way.

    We will always suggest the heat shift kit to clients wanting to hang TV's above their fireplace.

  • 9 years ago

    Super helpful. Thank you! I'm thinking of using the L2 and they told me with the heat shift, I can recess 4". That's my plan!

  • 8 years ago

    Looking for an update! Curious if you ended up installing the heat shift and how you are liking it?

    We are also looking at the L2 with heat shift for our basement. My only concern is with the plenum venting out at the ceiling, is the heat all going to be 'lost' as heat rises. Our basement is very cold and looking to warm it up!!


  • 8 years ago
    Emccaron,
    Any update on model you chose and heat vent or not?
  • 8 years ago

    We have just had the Valor L1 installed with Heatshift in our family room. TV will be above the fireplace and on a height adjustable TV mount. We wanted to be able to see the TV from a standing position from kitchen and also be able to move it down when viewing from a seated position in family room.

    There are a few reasons we went with the Heatshift - we wanted to be able to move the TV lower down on the wall without worrying about it getting too hot, but probably the bigger deciding factor was that a friend has a Valor L1 installed and finds that it heats up the room too much, even on a low setting.

    Although we have only started using the fireplace, so far we are happy with the HeatShift system. Our ceilings are vaulted and it was also a concern that we would be losing heat to the ceiling. Can definitely feel heat radiating from the fireplace from 6 feet away.


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The Valor Heat Shift is the best option for solving the TV or heat sensitive objects above a fireplace. Several commenters are concerned with the 60% of the heat being emitted from the grille near the ceiling, But a circulating fan in the fireplace only pushes the heated air out about 2 feet or less and guess what, it rises right up to the ceiling and creates a convection current in the room. Valor created this system to mitigate heat above the fireplace opening, but in the process they created the super high efficiency fan that is not a fan. Unlike a fan it is totally silent, Unlike a fan it works every time the fireplace is on, Unlike a fan it works when the power is out as it does not use electricity, Unlike a fan it never wears out or breaks down and needs to be replaced, and it moves more air than any fan. As an extra bonus it cools the wall so much that combustible materials can now be installed on the wall right to the fireplace opening as well as combustible mantles at a 1 to 1 ratio above the opening. The use of a ceiling fan will do more to even the room temperature than any circulating fan in the fireplace.


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Here is a video that full explains the concept of the heat shift


  • 8 years ago

    @ Home Hearth Sales - After having the fireplace and Heatshift for a couple of months now, we are very happy we went with this option. The room heats up quickly and there is no "lack of heat" from the fireplace due to the Heatshift. It is very efficient. Our area is small enough that we don't need a ceiling fan but could see this being a great option for larger rooms. The Heatshift also allows us to watch TV at a better height with the fireplace on - see photo (the wires above TV are for a centre speaker that we are installing in the recessed area behind TV).

  • 8 years ago
    this looks like an amazing idea.... do they sell these in the UK? I'm struggling to find this product here... or is it only available in the US?!
  • 8 years ago

    We purchased a Mantle Mount (www.mantlemount.com) but there is a similar mount called the Dynamic Mounting Down and Out (www.dynamicmounting.com). We are in Canada but it looks like they ship internationally as well.

  • 8 years ago

    Does something like this work for wood burning fireplaces (assuming the proper flue)?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Hi mtvhike,

    as far as we know, the 42 Apex from FireplaceX is the only wood fireplace with similar technology.