Software
Houzz Logo Print
nemobaby

How to fill this space?

9 years ago
I'm looking to put something here but nothing has hit me yet, any ideas?

Comments (25)

  • 9 years ago
    How about moving the tv there?
  • 9 years ago
    I agree with moving the tv there if it works for the space. Otherwise I think a nice buffet with art over it or a leaning shelf could work.
  • 9 years ago

    I also suggest moving the TV there, but I also suggest you think less about filling space and more about creating a cohesive whole. It would be helpful to see the rest of the room before making recommendations.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hello. You can place a big plant there.

  • 9 years ago
    How about a large painting ? Or a big lazy chair with a table so you can put the lamp on it and use it for reading . That cord going all the way up to the fireplace mantle is a visual nightmare .
  • 9 years ago
    Nothing. Leave it empty. You don’t need to fill every wall with stuff. Your eye needs empty spaces to "rest " while it travels around the space, allowing you to better focus on what’s in the space. I would get an electrician in to put in an outlet behind the tv, to help hide the cord.
  • 9 years ago

    I suggest a white cabinet with no doors, in which you can add some photo frames. You can also opt for some stylish trinkets.

  • 9 years ago

    I would put the TV there too. I hate when the TV is mounted above the fireplace.

  • 9 years ago
    We are going to be getting larger tv next month so I will have to see how it fits, the only thing I don't like is that the wall to the right sticks out alittle as you can see in the pic so would have to pull the tv forward so it can be seen from all angles, I will add some more pics of the rest of the living room tonight, I do have a plant in the other corner of my room already, had thought about putting one here but there is no sunlight, I also like the idea of some sort of chest to put here too
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    this is one of those occasions where i think its helpful for the OP to look at their photo and not at their room.

    the problem you have isnt an empty space to be filled, the problem you have is a power strip on your mantel and cords across to the outlet. solve that problem, kill 2 birds with one stone.

    if you are unable to move the tv there, at least have something there to hold the tv paraphernalia and block the cords. you are killing any look you achieve by tv clutter on your mantel which should be a nice focal point.

  • 9 years ago
    Yes that is true, I'm just not sure how really to hide the cords, I do want to see if a chest and the tv could fit to the right, but don't want it to look like I shoved it into that space as it's kind of limited, the cords have always bothered me, not sure how some ppl hide them in the wall? Probably need an electrician to do that ?
  • 9 years ago

    Yes you'll need to have an electrician snake the wires through the wall. I would much rather try to move the TV since I think it is better for viewing when it is at sitting eye level anyway.

  • 9 years ago
    Yeah I'm going to look tonight, and measure and see how a larger tv and chest really would fit to the right, if I think it will be too crowded looking I'm going to see if we even need all those cords plugged in and maybe can move/ get rid of the power strip or if not talk to an electrican bc they drive me crazy!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You don't have to move the TV and media cabinet forward if you put it on that wall. Mount it on an articulating arm so it can be pulled out and adjusted any way you want.

  • 9 years ago
    I like the dog in that pic btw lol
  • 9 years ago

    Milano Doors suggested a big plant. And to me that is one possibility that will make it beautiful. If you are afraid a life plant will die there, get an expensive fake one, that looks real, but needs no water or light. Place it in a beautiful pot, that is an 'artwork' in itself.

    Instead, one could put a high, but not so wide table over there and place on it a lamp to the right side and a beautiful floral arrangement to the other side. That will also bring some life and much needed color there.

    An interesting small-in-width bookcase with a lamp on it and besides books some nice smaller pieces or artwork here and there, could also be an eyecatcher.

    And how about a small-in-width glass-door cabinet for things of beauty only. There is a fun one by the big shop from Sweden, named Fabrikör in different colors (I like the red-brown one).

    That piece of wall somehow seems inadequate for a large size tv, including the furniture it must stand on. Chances are it will look squeezed in. Someone made a picture of how it can look, and I take that as a warning! It competes with the fireplace. And indeed that wall is a bit in the way too.

    So in my opinion you best leave the TV above the fireplace. The electrician will fix your cord problems for you.

    Place two of those candle holders in different sizes next to each other, but not in those colors. Brown or black for the candle holders. How about some colored candles and also some colored accents around the room? Seems awefully neutral to me now.

    Many color accents go excellent with the grey, brown, black and white you already have. Personally I like dark yellow. But many hues of red, orange, green and blue would also light up the place. And you could combine them of course. Buy a fun new rug to go with it and/or a beautiful piece of art above your couch.

    Leave the black lantern down below away. It adds nothing (except 'clutter').

  • 9 years ago

    What is the purpose of that wall that sticks out a little. Can it be removed to give more breathing room?

  • 9 years ago
    I guess it could possibly be removed, but would probably too big of a deal. Maria I like your ideas and do agree that the tv would be too squeezed into that space, ideally that would be best to be there and not on the fireplace but just have to work with what I have. I do already have a plant diagonal from this area so not sure that I would do another, I do agree thou I need to add in since color, that pic was actually a little old and I have since got rid of the lantern and moved the candles so I have no decor on the fireplace( that's another story lol need to also find decor for that) any pics of a table or shelf to put there? I attached some but maybe they shouldn't be as wide?
  • 9 years ago

    My own preferance is a small bookcase that is a lot taller than the fireplace. And not in white as to not compete with the fireplace. How about black? Or brown in the style and color of the coffeetable?

  • 9 years ago

    If not the TV, then big art.

  • 9 years ago

    Thumbs up to the artwork - classy. Thumbs down to the consoles with the baskets.

  • 9 years ago




  • 9 years ago
    Ok sounds like I need to keep my eyes open for some big artwork! What do you think about pics like these?
  • 9 years ago

    The prints you showed with a comfy chair that suits your décor. For now, hide the power bar behind a narrow basket and tape wires to the mantle and down the side - and paint the same color as the wall.