Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_44376818

Finishing basement - one or two finished rooms for resale value?

User
6 years ago

Should we go with one big room or one larger and one smaller room with a door?

We are talking to contractors about finishing our basement. Actually, half of it. The half that will be finished is 25' 4" x 11' 2".

It is a 1974 build colonial and in our area about half of the basements are finished, half our not. We want to increase the resale value of the home when we sell in 3 to 5 years. Plus we want to use and enjoy the finished part. The unfinished half is the same size and includes my husband's work room, the furnace and water heater units and related stuff, and the laundry room and storage.

We are planning to have the finished area done with all dry wall, probably luxury vinyl plank or cork flooring (with area rugs for warmth), a nice drop ceiling or dry wall, haven't decided yet & recessed lights, plus an under steps finished area with storage of room for desk. The biggest part will be a family entertainment area with seating and a TV, etc.

The question is, from a perspective of resale value, is it better to have one big finished multi-purpose room for the full size 25 x 11, or split it into maybe 15 x 11 and 10 x 11? The smaller room with door could be an office, a music studio room (my son would use it) or even a playroom.

What are opinions and thoughts about one big finished room or two smaller but still good size finished rooms?

I will attempt to upload a photo, but it's not that useful as it is completely unfinished. Two windows at one end (of the finished area, 3 more in the unfinished area)

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Window Treats Inc.
    6 years ago

I would make one large space for the entertainment room. More impressive. 15 X 11 is not large enough! You could define separate areas with rugs. Also, I would recommend a drop ceiling so you can access electrical and plumbing.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! Appreciate the input. Since it is half the basement it is a long, narrow space. Smaller house, 1760 sq ft so the basements are not big. Family neighborhood so we were thinking some would want a playing room or quiet office (11 x 10).

Thanks again!

• jck910
    6 years ago

ask a local realtor what gets best bang for your buck in your neighborhood

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, suzy and jck!

Suzy, the unfinished half will have laundry, work/tool room, and lots of storage space. It's important.

Yes i am checking with a realtor, one that wont pressure us to list because it'll be at least 3 years.

Thank you! We may change direction from 2 to one, esp if the realtors agree.

• janedoe2012
    6 years ago
    I would definitely “finish” the laundry room area as well. If you are considering resale and going to the trouble of finishing the basement, it probably makes sense to have a nice laundry room. Can you post the basement layout?
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

And a half bath would be great too or a small full bath.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A bath, however small, is out of the budget unfortunately. But we are putting a new floor, a partial wall with a cabinet, and a new utility tub/cabinet in the laundry room. It needs to be at least a little pleasant, cleaned up, useful, and updated, if not totally finished. Thank you both for your input.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

and, as another update, I have talked to a couple local realtors and they agree that a finished basement is a plus -- not that it will add direct value to the selling price necessarily, but it will definitely draw in more interested buyers in our area.
    And all things being somewhat equal, it will help boost our asking price. We have updated everything in the house so we are confident of a higher asking price for our area.
    So we are proceeding with finishing half the basement. We're working with an experienced, skilled contractor, have selected wall color, flooring, ceiling and made some layout changes. Construction will start in a few weeks. I'll definitely post photos when done, or half-done. Thanks for responses.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

PPS: We're not planning to sell for at least 3 years so we will get to use and enjoy our basement for a couple years anyway. :)

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Bigger is better, storage is king and convenience reigns!.

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

Finish the whole area so your family can enjoy it now. Remember no matter how nice the basement is, you only get half the square foot values for a sub room even if it is termed Walk Out....but finish it for you, three to five years is a long time away, so enjoy it now.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    6 years ago

I would also consult with your local AHJ to determine the code requirements for various uses of the new basement rooms. It looks like you have good headroom (usually the finished ceiling must be at least 80 inches high), but don't have egress windows. This means it can probably be used as a basement family room or office, but not be a bedroom (that requires an egress window or door).

In most areas you will be required to pull a permit, and comply with applicable codes to finish a basement. If you want to make your life as simple as possible, list the use as basement storage, which has the simplest code requirements. For example, most AHJs now require AFCI circuit breakers for receptacles in all living areas, but may only require GFCI for a basement.

When they inspected my basement "storage area" and found it had 14 receptacles, prewire for TV and audio in two locations, and in-wall wiring for 5.1 speakers, it was not a problem. They first looked at all the framing and insulation, and later at the A/C wiring/receptacles just to make sure the receptacles were wiring correctly. The only side comment was "lots of wiring for just a storage area."

Bruce

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! We are in the process of having the remodeling done by a contractor. They have pulled permits and we are having electrical + plumbing done. It is in good hands and they are complying with the local codes and doing a great job. Very excited to have some usable living space (not a bedroom or bathroom) in our basement, just a relaxing family entertainment area (plus laundry, workroom and storage) All in progress and going well.

• AMS
    2 years ago

@CEE Jay I would love to see photos of the finished basement! I have a very similar space and am currently going through the same thought process as you.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions