Software
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Garage Floor Epoxy Countertop

Every once in a while I get a call that I'm fairly sure isn't going to make me any money, but I check it out for entertainment value. Such was the case this afternoon.


This lady calls, completely unhappy with the countertop treatment her Realtor recommended:





Comments (38)

  • 8 years ago

    Wow.

  • 8 years ago
    Oh. My. Word.
    Just needs a little duct tape to look finished.
  • 8 years ago
    Who thought that was a good idea?
  • 8 years ago
    I mean... poor lady... no wonder she's upset. :(
  • PRO
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Realtor needs to stick with just selling the house as is - no bad advice given!

  • 8 years ago

    At least the RE agent might have made sure it tied in with the floor in some way :)----

  • 8 years ago

    Might be tolerable in a utility room or laundry inside the garage, but not here!

  • 8 years ago
    Is that garage floor epoxy coating put to a new use!.....?
  • 8 years ago
    Just saw your title again, it is!!!! Wow
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Your laughing but I bet a 100 people just said hey why not and are on their way to HD as I type.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Epoxy counters are the new rage in some places. What's not to like? :)

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Isn't that leathered granite ;)
  • 8 years ago

    Looks like the Rustoleum kitchen countertop refinishing kit. They tried to pass those off as new countertops in an apartment my daughter went to see when she was apartment hunting.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The Cook's Kitchen: Let's see those glossy epoxy tops in 6 months.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Any quick fix where the components are sold in kit form is a red flag for me

    I would prefer not to prepare food on a garage floor

  • 8 years ago

    Those lower counters do look really cool. But I can't imagine that they wear.

  • 8 years ago

    Me too Linda. Pretty sure that stuff is toxic as hell. We had both our attached garages epoxied and even with the doors sealed, our entire house reeked of airplane glue for days. Also, we still got stains on our garage floors.

  • 8 years ago

    OMG - I just noticed the floors in that kitchen. I guess the RE agent didn't think that was a problem.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Not toxic it's ECO friendly

  • 8 years ago

    Pretty sure its not. I've got the lungs to prove it.

  • 8 years ago

    The installers were wearing hazmat gear.

  • 8 years ago

    How much more would you pay for a sh*t sandwich?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Another "Save A Buck Chuck" project.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    What did you recommend that they do about it?

  • 8 years ago

    I guess my question is, did they agree to that sight unseen? If so, Oh well!

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    "What did you recommend that they do about it?"

    My potential customer has inherited this home from her mother. Her entire approach to selling it is wrong. It is in a very highly desirable location (Beach Street). The original house next door has been replaced with a modern masterpiece and this is a very likely candidate for a tear-down. Yet this woman decided to put lipstick on a pig by having cheap plastic laminate countertops installed in the bathrooms. Her Realtor told the terrazzo refinishers to not pull the shoe molding in the bedrooms so there's a horrible unrefinished line around the perimeters. This is the same Realtor who recommended these guys do the epoxy tops. She hasn't paid for them. She's even purchased new appliances for a too-small kitchen with worn Kraftmaid honey oak cabinets.

    When I walked into the kitchen, I burst out laughing. There was an estimator for a countertop fabricator taking measurements and making drawings; he can have this one. In my last picture, you can see the sliding doors above the sink. The pool is on the other side. This is common here, but very tough to detail properly. I've had to pull and reset those old sliders. PIA.

    To answer the question, I've ground epoxy off solid surface counters and lost my butt on that job because the epoxy was done properly. I'd have this crap off in 10 minutes, but I'd wreck the plastic laminate underneath. Unfortunately, I have nothing for her. I'm not going to sell proper top support and door details on this one.

    Another example of people not knowing what they don't know, although I don't know how you could miss the masterpiece next door. She shouldn't have put a penny into this place; it was built in the 50s-60s. I'll bet it still gets bulldozed. There are no houses across the street; that's where the beach access starts.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    While the pictures tell the story of how these tops look, they don't address how they feel. Let's just say that if you had an itch on your back that you couldn't reach, you could just lie on these tops and you'd be sure to scratch it.

  • 8 years ago

    So, what did you suggest to them as a fix? Or, what did they call you about if not to sledgehammer it to bits?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    It cost me $23.00 to go look at this top. I owe no one anything.

  • 8 years ago

    Just wondering what they wanted you to do about their kludge. Surely they can not have wanted you to put in an undermount sink. Or did they want you to smooth it out somehow? Surely it wasn’t to admire their work!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I was somewhat surprised to see a fabricator there, especially that soon.


    I wanted to verify that the substrate was plastic laminate. You just can't trust customers to know. Had it been solid surface, I may have had something for her.


    I could have probably knocked off the rough spots for a minimum charge, but having my name associated with this just wasn't worth any amount of money.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I bet the real estate agent will tell prospective buyers that this is the new trend in counter tops and that it's all the rage in Europe. It is also in trendy grey with pops of color - what more could you want?

  • 8 years ago

    Oh my gosh. Wow. Def not food-safe- not eco friendly at all. Probably would have been cheaper to just get a new laminate counter top!

  • 8 years ago

    I bet the real estate agent will tell prospective buyers that this is the new trend in counter tops and that it's all the rage in Europe. It is also in trendy grey with pops of color - what more could you want?

    It could happen. And sadly, there may be more than one person who believes the real estate agent, and talks themselves into liking it.....


  • 8 years ago

    I suspect she told them to get a countertop epoxy refinishing kit and they got the wrong thing.

  • 6 years ago

    Look at that floor, and she's concerned with the counter??