0

Do i have enough room for two?

I have an area that is roughly 9-10ft wide. I want to put out a ShiShi Gashira in the area and wanted to know if you all would suggest only one, or can i manage two ?

I would love two plants and some online places say they grow 3-5ft wide and some say 6-8ft wide. I am getting 3gallon plants so i know i CAN fit two in the area now, but i'm thinking later on. And keep in mind, I don't mind pruning if that is possible to prune each plant to 4-5ft wide.

• bsmith0023 (z8b coastal SC)

yah or nah ? help me houzz ! ha

• Vicissitudezz

Yes, you can certainly fit two plants- especially if you are willing to eventually prune it.

Pruning well can also promote flowering.

I'm not sure which variety this is that my neighbors have, although I suspect it may be 'Kanjiro'. It's a showstopper every winter, especially around New Year's Day.

• luis_pr

I once had a Shishigashira and it was growing more sideways than upwards. It was about 5' wide after 5-7 years. So 9' might be crowded unless you do a small hedge kind of a thing and prune to keep the two shrubs in check.

• bsmith0023 (z8b coastal SC)

I just walked off the area again.. its actually 7ft.. I guess ill go with just one

• Vicissitudezz

One should eventually be enough. 7' is really not wide enough for two.

Companion plants can keep it company in the meantime.

Virginia

• bsmith0023 (z8b coastal SC)

true, I was going to get a 3 gal but i was thinking i could just get a bigger size so it fills out the space better and then do what your saying and plants some hostas or something else around it to make it full

• Vicissitudezz

In the Southeast, a traditional companion for camellias is Daphne odora. They're both winter-blooming, and the Daphne supplies the fragrance most camellias lack...

• bsmith0023 (z8b coastal SC)
    are there any other popular varieties that I could plant two plants within this 7-8ft area,instead of the ShiShi. I'm worried the ShiShi will look too small in this area and I know I can use compliment plants to surround it but I really want a big area of camellia blooms here.
  • bsmith0023 (z8b coastal SC)

the three I am thinking of are a Cotton Candy, Kanjiro and MineNoYuki.. maybe Yuletide, but least favorite..

My issue is they all say Early Bloom.. so either that's wrong, I should pick white because it will look good near ShiShi, or I need a popular variety mid/late season variety. ( I say "popular" because there are a LOT of varieties and I don't have many nurseries that can get too rare varieties )

• Vicissitudezz

Shi Shi is one of the smaller plants, so if you don't have room for two plants of it, I don't know how you'll manage two plants of a larger variety. I think that one plant of 'Kanjiro' would look good if centered in the space and surrounded with companion plants.

'Cotton Candy' and 'Mine-no-Yuki' are pretty, but I don't know if a pale-colored bloom will catch the eye like the deep pink 'Kanjiro'... But that's my personal taste, and you may prefer a lighter color...

Virginia

• bsmith0023 (z8b coastal SC)

Virginia, do you have either shishi, bonanza or mine-no-yuki ? im just wondering what their bloom times are as as we are the same zone.

I have decided on planting Mine-no-Yuki along the backyard fence. I can either plant Bonanza near it to complement it, or ShiShi Gashira to complement it. Either way I have to decide on who gets planted alone in the front yard, Bonanza or ShiShi !??

Any thoughts?

• Vicissitudezz

I don't grow any of them, but I think Shishi has a somewhat longer blooming season than the others you've mentioned, so might be a better candidate for the front yard?.

BTW, if you like Irises, there is a shade-loving hybrid called 'Nada'; if you need some plants for a shady spot...

Virginia