Software
Houzz Logo Print
msteg3

Need kitchen updates!

8 years ago
I would like to update the kitchen cabinets and countertop. Cabinets are maple and birch with a very worn finish. Countertop is Brune Slate laminate. Maybe paint the lower cabinets( what color?) and keep the natural wood on uppers? I just don't know what to do about the countertop. I do not want white cabinets or a white counter. The contractor is coming by again tomorrow and I just don't have any good ideas!

Comments (18)

  • 8 years ago

    Hi Msteg3,

    Would it be fair to say that ultimately you'd like to remove the "orange" hues of your kitchen?

    Will you be changing out your lighting at all?

  • 8 years ago
    Yes I would like to get away from the orange hues. The floor has been refinished and is not orange toned like the cabinets. I definitely would change the lighting!
  • 8 years ago

    Can you post a few more pics?

    Your appliances are stainless?

    Would you be interested in something like this?

  • 8 years ago
    The appliances are slate. I think maybe those cabinets in that photo would be too dark.
  • 8 years ago
    I apologize it looks like I posted my Design Dilemma twice!
  • 8 years ago

    Have you thought of maybe replacing some of the upper cabinet doors with a glass door? With in cabinet lighting?

  • 8 years ago
    It had crossed my mind. I like the idea but I definitely would have to keep the cupboards nicely organized with my best dishes!
  • 8 years ago

    I have one upper corner cabinet glass door with in cabinet lighting that I simply keep all glasses in, so the light shines through and it's not like looking at stacked plates. It looks great.

    I do want to ask..it looks like you're a Diego Rivera fan, with the picture, the sunflowers, etc. Are you sure you want to pull away from the "orange" look?

  • 8 years ago
    I go back and forth about the "orange". The cabinets probably looks more orange in the picture than in reality. The kitchen is warm feeling to me and I do like that. I am afraid if I go with cooler colors that I might regret it. I have lived with this kitchen layout for 25 yrs!
  • 8 years ago
    Yes the lower cabinets are very worn. Uppers are a little better. I like the idea of a farm or apron sink. I also like the pictures of the maple kitchen with the cream subway tiles and gray counter. I have seen a "white "granite counter top with lots of grays and a little black that was done in a "leather" finish that I really like. I am sure just refinishing the cabinets and putting in new hardware, new countertop and a new sink and a backsplash could revitalize the kitchen without having to paint the cabinets. Maybe a custom fit pantry cabinet next to the fridge instead of that cheap stock one would look better too. I wish It was easier to make design decisions. I appreciate all the comments and ideas!
  • 8 years ago

    Msteg3,

    It sounds/looks like you are very happy with a "southwestern-hacienda-rustic" style.

    Have you thought of maybe starting with just painting and then adding touches (rustic cushions on the stools, rug) and seeing if you like that?

    Change out the light fixture above the sink, and play with a style that you know that you like?

    Adding some blue to this would look amazing!

  • 8 years ago
    This is a panoramic view of the eating area on the other side of the kitchen. The kitchen and eating area are only 10 ft wide but ~ 25ft
    long.
  • 8 years ago

    I love your hoosier cabinet!

    The Kohler Whitehaven "short apron" style farm sink looks like this:


    Here it is in my kitchen:

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~93784356

    The Kohler Vault is a stainless farm sink that also comes in a "short apron" style. Both sinks are very easy to install because they have a self facing apron. I got mine online - but still pricy ($960). I put off my refresh to save up for it. However, it is one of my favorite things in my kitchen. Both sinks also come in a "tall apron", so order the correct sink if you go that route.

    I've been looking for pics of kitchens with painted lowers and stained uppers and I am coming up short. I found a few, but the style was not like your kitchen nor the tone of the wood. Some sage greens work well with mid tone wood - like in the wall color in the pic of the kitchen in my last post.

    If the contractor does not think the worn cabinets can be refinished - I'm not sure why not, but if paint is the only option, you might grab a friend with an artistic eye and see if there would be a way to do some in green:


    You might be able to balance the green lowers by removing the center glass panel in some of the uppers and either displaying something with a similar green, Painting the inside of the cabinet green, or even shirring a green fabric behind the glass - the fabric is a very cottage look, so not sure how you would feel about it. Reworking an upper with a plate rail that is back painted in green or even painted in green would be another way to bring the green up. I retrofitted a cabinet with a plate rail - there are kits to help:


    I would also consider some pretty roman shades or even faux roman shades on the windows. If you did do some of the sage green on the cabinets, reflect some of that in the window treatment:



  • PRO
    8 years ago
    How about a stain on the cabinets like old masters weathered wood and tarazzo tile counter top
  • 8 years ago

    As someone asked on your other post - do you need that peninsula. I just want to rip it from it's current location and move it next to the tall cabinet. It just seems so tight with the angle of the peninsula.

  • 8 years ago
    Great questions and ideas from everyone! Thank you! Lots of decisions to make. I think I will take my time and not rush into it.
  • 8 years ago

    msteg3 - great to wait....Maybe get a kitchen design plan to help you along....Good Luck.