Software
Houzz Logo Print
meaganfenske

Original Oak Trim White...

8 years ago

Hi,


So my husband and I recently bought a 1940's century home, and we are doing renovations starting in December. Long story short, I am killing myself over the wood trim. The trim is original oak, and its a good shade not too dark or light, and it doesn't look bad. BUT, at the same time I really love farmhouse white trim, not wood. I keep flip flopping between painting it or not painting it..

Advice and or photos of your before and after would be so helpful!!!


Ive attached a couple pictures too help, we would also be painting the original french doors white if we do the trim! The floors are also being refinished a little darker (closer to what the current french doors are)



Comments (25)

  • 8 years ago

    What color would you recommend the floors then? I dont want it all too match- that wont look good either. But I do not like the orange undertones in the hardwood


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I love the wood trim! I say keep it :)

    meaganfenske thanked Raegan Ford Interior Design
  • 8 years ago

    The trim and doors are gorgeous. Please do not paint. I think your floors are pretty too.

    Find another project to work on.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Wow, your house is gorgeous as is! It is timeless and the wood gives it a lot of character.

  • 8 years ago

    now, its handsome. if you farmhouse it up it will be trendy and then dated, in short order.

    you can still farmhouse-up a bathroom, or even the kitchen if its a separate space. a good reason not to knock down walls!

  • 8 years ago

    Your home is beautiful! When I think white trim I think apartments and trendy HGTV inspired rooms. When I think farmhouse I think timeless wood finishes. My opinion is based on time spent in actual, carefully maintained farmhouses.

  • 8 years ago

    I agree with all above - the trim and floors are beautiful together. Although I love the look of painted trim, the maintenance, for me, is not worth it. We have not touched our wood floors and wood stained trim in 23 years.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Your trim and floors are lovely and in such good condition. Sometimes, we must deal with the fact that we didn't buy a farmhouse. For that matter, all these "coastal farm houses" and other "farmhouses" bear about as much similarity to a true farm house as Ford to a Rolls Royce. Farmhouses were simple, plain, utilitarian structures.

    Turn off HGTV and embrace your lovely new home!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Wow! House is beautiful and would not recommend any changes. But if you are still willing to bring in some contrast take a look on flooring options. Trim and doors look great!

  • 8 years ago

    Leave the wood trim and the floors as is - THEY ARE BOTH GORGEOUS!

    However, I would paint the ceilings and walls a real color to give your home some life!

  • 8 years ago

    what Jmc101 said

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I'm personally obsessed with white but even I can not tell you to paint this wood. It's the perfect color! I would match your floors to the rest. That will clean the lines nicely. Instead of wood painting, I would bring pops of white into decorating & replace the lights with large, white/silver fixtures. Gl!

  • 8 years ago

    Absolutely gorgeous! Another vote for leaving all as is. You're right, the trim is a good shade, not too dark and not too light. Perfect. I also love the neutral paint throughout.

  • 8 years ago

    This is gorgeous. FYI, farmhouses had painted trim because stain-grade was too fancy and expensive. You have fancy and expensive, why do you want to cheapen it?

  • 8 years ago

    Your woodwork is stunning! Please don't change it.

    I like the floors as is. Are they in good condition? I agree that you don't want them the same color as the trim, but I would want to go lighter rather than darker. Not only do you get more contrast, but dark floors show every speck of dust and pet hair.


  • 8 years ago

    It's gorgeous! Please don't paint!

  • 8 years ago

    Beautiful home, and fabulous wood trim! Bring your white in textiles, furnishings, rugs, etc. White it up and add pops of color, it will contrast beautifully with that handsome woodwork and you'll get that farmhouse fresh that you like, even better.

  • 8 years ago

    I love your trim as is! I agree with Anglophilia; don't paint the trim and whoever decided what the 'farmhouse' style is has never actually been in a real farmhouse.

  • 8 years ago

    Please do not paint the trim, it looks gorgeous. I would leave the floors a lighter color than the trim just like they are now.

  • 8 years ago




  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    the wood is a nice shade and looks great. paint the walls white and bring in white/black rugs, fabrics, lighting, etc.

    I'd change out the floors before painting the trim. if you did some wide plank, french white oak flooring, it would look amazing w/the dark trim and light walls.

  • 8 years ago

    Another vote to leave it. I am partial to white everything, but even I would leave this. It's STUNNING!!

  • 8 years ago

    Leave it- it's gorgeous. Maybe just a hardware update instead?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    What's currently there; the beautiful light shade of oak wood is the way to go.