Software
Houzz Logo Print
carolgamel

Updating kitchen

8 years ago

We have a good house that isn’t selling so I have to assume that the kitchen is holding it back. Is it possible to put in new cabinets and keep the existing countertop? Or is it possible to get cabinet doors to match the drawers? Then what do you do to cover the end panels? Naturally I don’t want to spend a fortune! Any idea of what I should budget for? Thanks for your input.






Comments (24)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I don't know but, I like your dishwasher. Get a carpenter to make you new cabinet panels. It looks like you have good quality cabinets, which means good cabinet boxes, even if the panels don't suit your taste. The counters don't have to go anywhere if you're saving the boxes. But making new doors to perfectly match the drawer faces would be a real trick without just painting everything. It's probably worth replacing it all with a uniform material/finish

    Carol Gamel thanked Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    It's probably not the kitchen that's holding you back. A lot of new owners plan on ripping things out anyway.

    Carol Gamel thanked Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
  • 8 years ago

    Have you lowered the price as much as you're willing to go? There is a buyer for every house, for the right price. Many people would probably be planning to re-do your kitchen themselves so they would factor that into the price they're willing to offer.

    Carol Gamel thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    I think if you painted the red wall the same tan as the the other walls, it would reduce the contrast and make the kitchen more neutral. Neutralizing decor is very helpful when trying to sell.

    If it is too expensive to have someone make you new cabinet doors, how would it look if you removed the white cabinet doors on the upper cabinets, and gave them an open-shelving look?
    Carol Gamel thanked ritting28
  • 8 years ago
    Probably too much open shelving if you did that. However, you could paint all of the wood the same white as the cabinets, then you'd have all white cabinets.
    Carol Gamel thanked ritting28
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Didn't your agent tell you to remove all decor make spaces look bigger paint cabinets white get lighter countertops
    Carol Gamel thanked Carol Jean
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Good afternoon . I would replace the lockers bottom and top, they look very old and worn out. And in general, the kitchen is good.

    Carol Gamel thanked Milcasa
  • 8 years ago
    Your home looks like the perfect candidate for a professional stager. I think you could get away with painting the kitchen and cabinets, removing the heavy chairs and replacing with something more up-to-date. If I walked into that house I would get the feeling of being overwhelmed by a need to update everything, even though in some cases that impression is just being given by your paint colors and furniture. The pink tone to the countertop is a problem, but I would try to work with that if at all possible. I'm not the best person to give paint color choices, especially when trying to take into consideration down playing something dominant like the counter, I just know what works when I see it.

    So my number 1 suggestion is to hire a stager. If that won't work for you, I would remove almost all decor and all but the most essential furniture. Critical step is to remove the bar chairs and replace with simple stools. I never recommend grey but as a staging color it is great. Maybe paint your lower cabs a darker grey, the walls very light grey, and the uppers and shelving all white. One modern accessory per shelf. I have to look back but if there are drawer pulls you probably need to update them.

    This way, even though a prospective buyer will know she wants to replace the kitchen, she won't feel as overwhelmed by the enormity of the job.
    Carol Gamel thanked greenfish1234
  • 8 years ago

    If you're trying to get the best price without spending a lot of money I would do a more neutral paint job, remove all personal items and clutter and paint the rest of the cabinets white. I don't think I would spend a lot of money replacing the counters or backsplash when someone will likely want to replace them to their own taste anyway.

    Carol Gamel thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    For starters
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    For me, the cabinets are not the problem. I think it's the counter tops and above. There are three different color swirly prints on that side between the red paint, tan tiles and pinkish? counter tops. That at least on my monitor, clash with each other and the cabinets. I would address that.

    Also, while grey is the 'in' color right now, unless it goes with the other rooms the kitchen is open to, I wouldn't do it. One or two bits of grey in a warm color room can look out of place and really date the rest of a room.

    Carol Gamel thanked woodteam5
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    make the walls all the same color, take down the stained glass and the angel, and remove the end stools.

    mostly its the red wall section that makes me crazy.

    Carol Gamel thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 8 years ago
    2 stools, runner.
    Carol Gamel thanked greenfish1234
  • 8 years ago
    Woodteam I agree about grey, I normally roll my eyes at the omnipresent suggestion (I have some at home so I like it in doses). But realtors (and a I burst out laughing) LIST grey walls as a FEATURE of the home!! I would absolutely do it, and yeah-it has to go all the way in to the adjacent room at least. Probably whole first floor. I worry about amping up the 80s look with a grey/pink combo but I think careful color selection (my paint store has amazing helpers) will make it possible. Maybe a slightly browner grey. Or go all white, but bring that in to the adjacent room too. The beige on tan on pink on red needs to be eliminated.
    Carol Gamel thanked greenfish1234
  • 8 years ago

    Hi Carol,

    I would get the matching cabinet doors.

    When I was 19, I had a blue Ford Pinto that had one white door from a salvage yard, it stuck out like a sore thumb (of course I didn't care, I was 19 and it was a Pinto)

    When I first clicked on your photo's, I was instantly reminded of my Pinto.

    Also agree with painting all one color.

    Although we "houzzers" can see past all this, many cannot.

    It's a great kitchen with good bones!

    What does your agent say? What do the kitchens in your comps look like?

    Carol Gamel thanked Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I detect a distinct southwest theme in your decor choices. You need to fix that. Remove all the wall and window decor, as well as the rug and all of your barstools. This will immediately open up the space and visually increase the square footage in buyer's eyes. If you still have the doors that were on those open cabinets, put them back on. Prep and paint all the cabinets a warm, creamy white that works with the rosy countertop and the flooring. If the white doors are melamine, there's a paint for that. Paint all the oak trim on them so there is no choppiness and they're a solid color. If you'd like help staging your home, post pix of the LR, master, main bath and powder room. Tweaking those, while taking your personal fingerprints off the home (ie, making it neutral and "nearly" empty, so buyers can envision their possessions in it, rather than yours) will put you back in selling mode.

    Carol Gamel thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 8 years ago
    Declutter! It's overwhelming with all the stuff on the walls and open shelving. I would suggest painting all the cabinets white. Paint the walls white or a light gray such as BM Gray Owl. Good luck!
    Carol Gamel thanked wildcatblue
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Everyone has already touched on the main points, but to sell a home some great tips are

    -declutter (take away everything that isn't necessary)

    -depersonalize (all art, pictures, nicknacks need to go)

    -go neutral (paint a neutral color)

    Carol Gamel thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Post your listing. You are focused on one component of many. It could be a contributing factor, sure. But generally if the price is right for what it is, a home will sel. And sell rapidly. Well priced homes under 3000 sf are snapped up in hours here.

    Look at the bigger picture.

    Carol Gamel thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Repaint a light color and remove all personal photos, excess artwork, and remove the stained glass pieces. They distract from the large windows which let a lot of light in. Right now your kitchen looks dark and cluttered. In fact, if you paint the entire house an off white, it will go a long way in bringing a fresh feel to the whole house.

    Carol Gamel thanked Nancy Walton
  • 8 years ago

    What does your agent say about why the house has not been sold? Did you have offers that were too low? How long has it been on the market?

    Carol Gamel thanked apple_pie_order
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I suspect people who have looked at the house have figured in the cost of redoing the kitchen and deducted that from any offer they planned to make. Have you considered doing nothing to the kitchen other than decluttering/depersonalizing and offering an allowance for a kitchen “refresh”?

    Carol Gamel thanked rantontoo
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you all for your comments. It has been very enlightening and very helpful. First thing I have done is take those photos off of Zillow because they no longer truly represent the house which is now vacant and completely de cluttered. Because we have reduced the price twice in 120 Days, I think I will simply try painting the walls, and lightening it up. The house is well under market and should have sold already. Everything else has but they all have newer kitchens. I remember not liking the cabinets when we bought the house but it wasn’t a big deal for me. - Thanks again!