Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
friedajune

Quick Question - Is Miele Still Offering 240V washers in US?

friedajune
6 years ago

I have an old Miele washer, and I paid a good deal at the time for an electrician to hook up a 240V receptacle for it. I got in return the hottest possible washes when I want them. I feel like I've read on this forum that in the U.S. you cannot get the 240V models anymore? But then there are other posts that seem to suggest you can. What if you are in the U.S. and want a 240V washer?

Comments (25)

• georgect
    6 years ago

I'm not a Miele aficionado but you still can buy a 240v model.

friedajune thanked georgect
  • suburbanmd
    6 years ago

Another Little Giant washer owner here. You'll very likely need a different 240V receptacle installed for the Little Giant, as your old Miele probably doesn't have a round L6-30 plug. You may very well also need a new cable run for the circuit, unless the electrician future-proofed you by running 30 amp cable.

friedajune thanked suburbanmd
  • friedajune
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Interesting - thanks for your responses. I have the 1213 from about 2004 or 2005. Still going. What I noticed is that the 1213's capacity is 2.5 cu. ft., and the "Little Giant" capacity is 2.08 cu. ft. So the Little Giant is even smaller than older models?

• enduring
    6 years ago

The Little Giant is larger than 2.08. That sounds like the 30xx series. I have the 3033 and it is 2.0-something. The Little Giant is deeper than the 30xx series, other dimensions are the same. I have the 1918 and it is sized like the 30xx. The Little Giant can take king sized quilts and pads. The 30xx can only do the sheets.

friedajune thanked enduring
  • friedajune
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I got the 2.08 cu. ft. number directly from the Mieleusa website's Product Details tab for the "PW 6068 Plus EL LP"

https://www.mieleusa.com/domestic/professional-washing-machines-3051.htm?mat=10247490&name=PW_6068_Plus_EL_LP

• suburbanmd
    6 years ago

2.5 sounds too large for the W1213.

• enduring
    6 years ago

the weight capacity they post is correct iirc, at 6.5 kilos (15 lbs). My w3033 capacity is 5 kilos I think (11lbs).

the depth of the little giant is 28.5" and the depth of the w3048 and my 3033 is 22.5"

friedajune thanked enduring
  • larsi_gw
    6 years ago

Cannot recommend the Little Giant washer enough. Besides maybe really thick King sized blankets, this washer will tackle anything! I wash CA King sheets with 4 pillowcases and there is room to spare!

The options, programs and customization on The Little Giant washer and condenser dryer is out of this world amazing! BEST appliance I have ever had (2nd being my Miele SpeedOven)!!!!

friedajune thanked larsi_gw
  • enduring
    6 years ago

I can’t go to Chicago and pick up another w1918 & T1515!!!!!!!!! It’s pretty cheep. It’s on eBay. :((( Lol

• enduring
    6 years ago

hummmm, I wonder if the set in Chicago is still on eBay....

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Your gonna do it arnt ya....LOL

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Your thinking....hard

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Weighing your options

• hcbm
    6 years ago

Go for it enduring!!!

• enduring
    6 years ago

LOL, not yet.

• minimalist183
    6 years ago

I heard in the 1st QTR of 2018 Miele USA will be offering 2 to 3 new washers & 1 or 2 condenser dryers. Both units will operate on 220 volt only. They will probably come from Miele's previous year line up (mid level). The washers will offer twin dos and power wash options.

• David Bishop
    6 years ago
    All 240V, I wish!
  • friedajune
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Minimalist183 - I believe that U.S. homes don't have 220V circuits. Did you mean 240V?

• delray33483
    6 years ago

most US homes have a limited number of 220-240v anything. i would think that is limited to a range, electric dryer and central AC. The electrical panel might not be 200 amp to allow expansion - and then you would have to run a new wire to a 220 v washer.

the reason that you dont see 220 washers is that it is a VERY small part of the buying public and isnt worth the mfg effort to produce them just for the US market

• David Bishop
    6 years ago
    Couldn’t they just provide an adapter for the washer & dryer to share the singular dryer outlet—like they did in the past? I imagine the modern heat-pump dryer would use much less energy than a traditional condenser. And, really they are not likely to invest in the condenser models any more—old tech now, it will be HP, from here on out. This minimizes production lines. Therefore, the washer could have a stronger heating element (closer in wattage to the pro models)—this could result in faster wash times.

Though the washer & dryer ratio of power usage would shift more towards the washer and become proprietary relative to standard 240V washers or dryers using all 30Amps, as long as the adapter was used, it’d be fine. Also, plugging either of them in to a dryer plug would be fine too as neither would use more than 240V/30A, so there would be no problem of over loading.

Finally, most construction that provisions for a washer/dryer area have a 240V/30A outlet. In fact, this will only increase as we move toward more electrification, agnostic of generation. My city wants to outlaw gas installation in new homes—to reduce CO2 emissions. I only see this moving in this direction, not the opposite, for sure. Most people buy in pairs—especially at this price. Also, this would more align with Miele’s global operations—which are mainly 240V (so sad we aren’t). They can easily swap-out heater coils (just commodity parts) for different markets instead of redesigning their entire machines for NA. So, in conclusion, it would make perfect sense to bring over only 240V washers.
  • delray33483
    6 years ago

i don't disagree with the 240v argument. Bad news that isn't standard in the USA.

the other consideration is that European mfgs are not only 240v but 50hz. The equipment is built around that - pumps, motors as well as the software that monitors that. It is more than just switching out some electrical components

• minimalist183
    6 years ago

I believe the new Miele washers and dryers will operate on 220/240 volt (like their older w19 series washers and t15 series driers. I don’t believe they will offer a 120 volt model again.

Bosch has always offered only a 220/240 washer & dryer since 1996. Over the years Bosch has expanded their 220/240 washer / dryers offering ie. (good, better, best). I think Miele will take that same approach.

• PRO
    Peg Prince Designs
    4 years ago

Hi there, in my hast, I purchased a Miele W716 washing machine not realizing that it was so heavy. Does anybody know if it's worth trying to wrestle it in, install a 240V outlet etc?

• delray33483
    4 years ago

peg - do you have a link for it? where did you get it from