0

What to do with niche beside fireplace

Gail Harrison
October 26, 2017
I would really appreciate some ideas and feedback with the niche beside the fireplace. The current cabinet is from our old home and clearly not going to work.
Do I have a matching kitchen cabinet at 40” high with black slate type counter, do I add pictures or floating shelves above?
Do I match up the rustic block of wood as seen to the side of the niche?
Do I close up the space and creat access to additional storage from the closet beside the niche?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or feed back. Walls are Benjamin Moore, Bennington gray, floors are white oak, fireplace rock is Ocean Mist. Throughout my decorating I have been trying to bring the outside (lake house) inside.
GAil

• er612

I would install a bookcase or closed cabinet to match your kitchen. Here are some open shelving examples:

MWA, Inc

I agree with the shelving or closed cabinets in the niche. Here are a couple images of fireplaces with lower cabinets and shelves above to the side.

I would look for a vertical piece of art and hang it and nothing else

Seldens Furniture

I like your idea of floating shelves using the same rustic wood as your mantel. A look like this would blend well with the rest of your space. Good luck!

• Gail Harrison
    Thanks so much for your input everyone! I have had a cabinet maker in to draw it up to match the island! He starts it next week
  • auntthelma

Looks like the perfect place for a wine bar.

Soltech Solutions

Agreed, either wine bar or a dwarf white birch tree. Beautiful living room!

Soltech Solutions

I have a dwarf cyprus tree and I love the forrest/wooded feel it gives. Now I just need a living room like this one!

• Porter Edun
    inspiration photo

Another great option would be a wood niche if your fireplace is wood burning fill it with beautiful birch logs

• Bill Vandehey
    Idea 1: a Grotto with natual stone. spot light either up or down the Blessed Virgin Mary.

idea2: Create a mini Altar with liturgy of the hours and bible. examination of conscious and a book of the lives of the Saints.
    Every home needs a place to focus on God and Heaven. It's such an empty and blah house without Jesus the carpenter...right?
  • Donald
    Built in shelves of the same heft as the mantle