Software
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_lasalle

Is it OK to mix cabinet door styles?

13 years ago
I am getting ready to remodel the kitchen in my 1962 split-level home I just purchased. I want to use Ikea cabinets since I am remodeling a large kitchen on a small budget. I am going for a modern look and had envisioned a handful of upper cabinets with slab doors in a high-gloss white finish and the base cabinets with slab doors in a wood tone finish. I really love the idea of mixing white and wood. Unfortunately, I do not like any of the wood-tone slab doors currently offered at Ikea. So I'm wondering if I could still use the high-gloss slab uppers mixed with a medium-brown shaker style doors for the base cabinets? Would it look odd to use two styles of doors?

Comments (12)

  • 13 years ago
    The two different styles just need to compliment each other. So many kitchens have a vista of matching cabinets and that can be very boring. Mixing styles and colors is a good way to give your kitchen more of a furniture feel rather than the conventional way of all matching cabinets. Think of the other rooms in your house and imagine how uninspired they'd look if all the furniture matched. It's great that you're thinking outside the box!!
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with PH but if you want the wood can you just find a flat front door to coordinate? You can get in a shiny finish but I don't think you need to.
    http://houzz.com/photos/80097
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'd not mix the very contemporary high gloss uppers with shaker wood finish lower cabs.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree with magtop, the two different styles should complement each other and be in the same "door family".

    On our website we showcase several door styles as families that will go well together... I would see if your designer has any recommendations.

    Here's a link to a contemporary door family at Dura Supreme Cabinetry to give you some ideas of doors styles that would go well with white slab doors...
    http://www.durasupreme.com/design-collections/urban-loft
  • 13 years ago
    Hey Nicole- guess I "glossed" :-) over the part about the disparity in the styles and finish of your door choices and they're right that the high gloss white finish and the shaker wouldn't be a good blend, which is why I stated that the doors should compliment each other. I'm just starting on our kitchen and using the same doors but in two very different stains and instead of delineating the different stains by upper and lower we are staggering them, every other and it's very unique and interesting..
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    What about gnosjo or sofielund? They would look stunning with white high gloss uppers.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hey there....just wondering if you ever decided and created this kitchen? I did a kitchen in adel off white (shaker) with a sofielund (flat panel) island and think its beautiful. But for some reason I wouldn't try it with any other color combo.
  • 12 years ago
    I found a couple of pictures that may help you.
  • 12 years ago
    My design partner and I are going to be doing my kitchen (in our spare time, lol) and we've been sooo busy with our clients' projects that our project has taken a back seat to our paying customers. We've just started a full bathroom redo and then have a kitchen right after that so we'll probably starting my kitchen after the holidays.
    I'll be sure to send out some pix of the completed job with the different cabinet finishes. We're both very excited about the design and are looking forward to the project.
    I love the finish you used for the island!
  • 5 years ago

    any suggestions ...i am going to do white shaker up and down cabinets in one wall and flat cabinets in deep dark blue on the island and another side island. any suggestions. thanks

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Do you have an island? That's the perfect opportunity to use a different color or wood species. Otherwise stick with the same color and style everywhere else, and try to use crown, light rail, or overlay fillers to create interest. Throwing in a euro box upper cabinet (where only doors are visible) is a nice way to add subtle difference/detail of you have an appropriate spot for it.