Software
Houzz Logo Print
pooleam2

Landscaping... Please help!!

13 years ago
I moved into a brick ranch a few months ago and I need desperate help with landscaping and a facelift. Any/all ideas are welcome. I feel like I've looked at so many things that everything is starting to run together. I have a problem making a decision and visualizing what the final product is going to look like. So far I've landscaped one wall with verigated monkey grass, azaleas. I'm a newbie and this is my first home so any fresh sets of eyes will be GREATLY appreciated!! Also I live in zone 7b, as far as plant choices are concerned.

Comments (5)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I will give this a bump for you !
  • 13 years ago
    Several things you can put on your to do list:
    1. define driveway, either paved or with gravel. Think about parking. How many cars will there be at one time. Will you be accessing the rear garage? If so, have the driveway go around the rear of the house.
    2. check those azaleas - if they don't receive at least afternoon shade, they'll be cooked by the middle of June in your zone.
    3. Need some trees. I see a power line so you probably want to hide this as much as possible. Think about a row of thujas (Green Giant) along the left side of your property. They grow relatively fast and provide a good screen. The closer they are to you, the less you will see of the tower. A nice large shade tree to the right of the front yard would not look amiss, about halfway from the house to the street.
    4. Foundation plantings along the front of the house. Larger ones to the right and low growing (such as the monkey grass) for in front of the porch. Make sure you know how large the plants will grow so they are not too close to the house. Same goes for trees.
    5. Looks like you have plenty of space so think about a fruit orchard and separate gardens for vegetables, herbs, even roses (you have tons of sun for all).
    6. Put some rocking chairs on your porch, along with a few container plants to give you instant gratification.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for your response! I definitely think defining the driveway would help. The garage in the back isn't being used I actually considered replacing the garage door with French doors.

    I took the pictures when i first moved in in january, since then things have started to bloom and perk up a bit. There is actually a row of red knockout roses infront ir the porch and the azaleas are a bit happier now. The azaleas are on the north wall of the house so they really only sun first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening. It's funny that you mentioned shade trees. There are two existing oaks between the house and the road (didnt think to get them in the picture) and they are one of the few things I actually like about the house :)

    The wood trim on the house needs to be repainted, and while yes, I like white but I'm not set on it. Any ideas in color schemes for the trim and shutters?
  • 13 years ago
    White or off white shutters would look good. Add some substantial wood trim in white around the front door, too.

    Really, what it needs most is a driveway. Asphalt is fine. Gravel with paver edging to keep the gravel in place might work, depending on your climate and soil.

    Glad to read about your red Knockout roses and the azaleas doing well.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree that first and foremost, defining the driveway will really improve your curb appeal. Bigger(fuller and taller) plants along thefoundation will add visual interest. Colonialgp has great ideas!