Software
Houzz Logo Print
lacarr9

Help deciding shiplap color for fireplace

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Good Afternoon all! We are building our new home and I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but the builder needs Fireplace decisions by Monday.

We have a tall ceiling with stained shiplap. The floors will be the same color as the shiplap on the ceilings. The picture included is work the builder previously did. We however, pushed the living room wall back and will have an inset fireplace. I am considering using the same stone as the picture. Our walls and trim will be the same as the picture and the color of our ceilings and floors are very close to the ceiling color. In the kitchen we have chosen light grey top cabinets and a few shades darker for the bottom and island. The counter tops will be fantasy brown quartz/granite/whatever it is now.



Here's where I need help:

1. Half stone fireplace with either WHITE or STAINED shiplap on the top half and sides.

2. Full stone fireplace with either WHITE shiplap or STAINED shiplap on the sides.

3. White mantle vs. stained wood mantle.

I love the idea of the wood look on the fireplace instead of the white, but I don't want there to be too much wood.

I appreciate any help!!!



Comments (17)

  • 8 years ago

    Please help!! :)

  • 8 years ago

    That's a lot of shiplap. I can only take it in small doses. Joanna Gaines kind of ruined it for us and I think I'm over it.

    Lorri thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 8 years ago
    Full stone fireplace for sure! Love the stained shiplap ceiling.
    Lorri thanked Mincy Sealey
  • 8 years ago
    White shiplap on sides, would look prettier with stone imo
    Lorri thanked Mincy Sealey
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You have an awful lot of shapes, forms, colors, textures and there's no furnishings or people in it yet! Have you considered simplifying and unifying, rather than adding more contrasting diversity?

    Lorri thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The first thing I notice are the fake white beams against the wood ceiling, and the odd flat section of ceiling at the peak. Also the strange way the "beams" continue into the bump out. Note how I've dropped the ceiling in that area.

    I'd sure consider painting the ceiling. I like ceiling beams to terminate into something other than a wall surface too.

    If you go full height on the fireplace, the beams should coordinate with it. You don't want one of them to die into the fireplace like it would in your picture.





    As for the fireplace, do you have stone elsewhere? How about something like this?


    Lorri thanked PPF.
  • 8 years ago

    @Mincy, just called the builder to see if full stone is in our budget.


    @Virgil That's not our house that was one the builder did previously but the same floor plan/design. Ours is still very much a construction zone. I have to choose something for the fireplace. What would you recommend to simplify and unify. Would you just leave it painted drywall with a mantle? Half stone with painted drywall?

  • 8 years ago

    You have an awful lot of shapes, forms, colors, textures and there's no furnishings or people in it yet! Have you considered simplifying and unifying, rather than adding more contrasting diversity?

    Yes to Virgil and PPF's comments!

    But - If you go with stone, please make sure the undertones relate to your kitchen cabinets and other finishes. And, here are some pictures of fireplaces that incorporated shiplap - both with painted white and stained mantles.

    Lorri thanked alley2007
  • 8 years ago

    @PPF I can't do anything about the fake beams, strange bump out, and odd ceiling at this point. The room is constructed. The beams went up today and I will have to see where it hits on the fireplace. I do not have stone anywhere else in the home. Thank you for your design suggestion.

  • 8 years ago

    I vote for stone fireplace, stained wood mantle, no shiplap and no fake beams on the ceiling. Decorate your room with artwork, comfortable furniture and proper lighting...and try to avoid painting anything gray...it's been done!

    Lorri thanked threers
  • 8 years ago

    @alley2007 Thank you so much I didn't even think of switching to a more grey stone to match the kitchen better!!! I love the grey stone with the white shiplap (picture 1). Would that help simplify and unify as suggested?

  • 8 years ago

    @threers I like my fake beams and grey walls :)

    Would you do stone all the way up or halfway?

  • 8 years ago

    Yes stone all the way up...you can always hang a painting on the stone if you want and oops! about the gray and beams....

    Lorri thanked threers
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Everything depends on the architectural style of your house, and your other finishes, furnishings and equipment. One doesn't simply design a fireplace in isolation here on this forum and think that it's going to fit in and complement your interiors.

    Can you say something more about your interior design and furnishings?

    Here's a range of ideas. Do you see how some may fit your specific interiors and others not? The fact that the ceiling beams are in place and do not consider the location and design of your fireplace is problematic, and probably means it will be best to not carry any sort of fireplace treatment up to the intersection with the ceiling and beams unless it can be done in some sort of visually logical connection. See one of the photos below for an example.

    Good luck on your project.






  • 8 years ago

    @Virgil thank you! They say the house is Craftsman. Furniture is definitely more traditional. But we will slowly be replacing it as budget allows so I'd rather not tailor the house to our furniture. I love the simplicity of picture #5 and am convinced shiplap is not the way we need to go. I went by our house today and a beam hits right in the middle of the fireplace so I agree nothing should be carried all the way up. Thank you for the pictures I love #5 and will take it to the builder. I appreciate the good luck, it's needed. I've been making these decisions after we decided to put our house on the market and build while on maternity leave after starting a new job. I'm about crazy at this point. Seeing it all together will be either be amazing or terrifying. LOL

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Keep the faith! Everything always works out in the end. It's the journey which is sometimes stressful...! :-)