Software
Houzz Logo Print
janeway452

How did "river jacks" get the name? Where do they come from?

8 years ago

I'm finishing off a 65' long french drain by topping it with a dry stream bed. I've covered the 57 gravel with more landscape cloth and then "river jacks". I suspect that there are various sizes of river rocks that can be call "river jacks" and my supplier has delivered two tons of rocks that range from small and round, larger flat and round and quite a few larger flat stones. If I order what they call 1-8" creek gravel it looks like very small to bigger (I guess 8"). Of course we're talking about a natural rock product and there probably will never be absolute consistency (this ain't Disney Land!) unless you spring for much higher priced hand-picked specialty rocks. Anyway, I've tried to find out why river jacks are called river jacks. And I'd love to know where they are "quarried". Anyone able to shed some light?

Here's a photo of my delivery of river jacks. I've started to distribute them and realize that once I get the bigger ones placed I will be able to see how much they've covered and rearrange them to be as natural as I can manage. Then fill in with what I've got left (if any) and may need to get some of the 1-8" creek gravel to fill in for a fuller natural look and try to add some curves since there is only one since it started out as a much needed solution (french drain) for storm water runoff. I also plan to add some large round rocks from my rock collection to enhance the natural stream bed look.