Software
Houzz Logo Print
mfrainie

Fireplace design

8 years ago
We are looking to create a new fireplace to replace the existing rock fireplace. It has a 5' opening, so it is oversized for our one-story home. Any advice for a lighter, smaller look for the fireplace?

Comments (39)

  • 8 years ago

    Do you use it? Does it have a real chimney? Do you want a gas insert?

  • 8 years ago
    It is a wood burning fireplace. We use it in the winter, so we would like the keep it wood burning. I only decorate it during the other times of the year since it is such a large, open space.
  • 8 years ago

    So the only cost effective way to reduce the fire box size would be to go gas insert. You could make the overall fireplace narrower and shorter, but you would have to redo all the stone.

  • 8 years ago

    I would first consult with a fireplace expert to see if everything is up to code and what you have to work with. Then you can contact a mason or carpenter to help you design a new look. Unfortunately, I don't see a quick fix to bring down the size. Good luck.

  • 8 years ago
    Any ideas for a new design to replace the rock?
  • 8 years ago
    What about covering it with large rectangular tiles making it more modern and clean looking. I’d get a certified professional in to check everything and then find an insert that will make it more efficient.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    After getting a fireplace expert to inspect it and give you input, if that stone is faux type, i would start by taking it off along with hearth. It is really awful. I believe you will be able to reconfigure it to a raised insert. All depends on height of chimney. For a wood burning fireplace to draw well, the chimney has to be a certain height. So many questions for expert to answer. It might be a fire hazard if that isn’t real stone. I am pretty sure it is faux. So depends on material. Being so close to door is also concerning. Get a fireplace specialist to help you assess current condition. In the meantime, don’t use it. Safety first.
  • 8 years ago
    Thanks for your feedback! Do you like something similar to this design instead?
  • 8 years ago

    The windows above the fireplace make think this is a mid century house. If so the style you are thinking about would also not work. I think you need some thing slimmer and more modern.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    since you have the mid century type of vibe w/those windows, I'd do something sleek like these glazed bricks. (tons of colors, but this deep blue or graphite would be stunning) . I wouldn't do the white surround they have pictured. just the brick.

    work w/the home design and those cool windows.

    you could also stucco the part above where it narrows.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    We had a similar situation of 8 foot tall x 12 foot wide black lava rock fireplace wall with a sandstone mantle with a wood burning stove in the firebox....ugh....after realizing it was built into the cement block wall Hubs built a false wall directly in front of the lava rock, stud width and sheetrocked over the lava rock, tiled around the insert and hearth and put in a glass firedoor. It looks amazing now. And we love having a wood burning fireplace we use all winter long.

    But I wholeheartedly agree with advice to have it inspected to see what you have and what your possibilities are.

  • 8 years ago

    I liked Beth's last photo, and then Claudia's with a bit of shelving option near the door - is that entry?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    This has more window space above.... do you need room to store wood? as here...

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I like this acid-washed metal... shelves. I thought at door, a woodworker could build in hidden-from-livingroom "entry shelves"....

  • 8 years ago

    Even copper.

  • 8 years ago
    Yes, the house is mid-century modern. It was built in 1957.
  • 8 years ago
    Love the ideas! Thank you everyone! I do want a mantle...it has always been my dream to be able to properly hang our stockings at Christmas. What type of mantle would you use?
  • 8 years ago

    Do you want to stay consistent with MCM? The first one you posted is like the opposite of MCM. I don't think you have faux stone. That looks like real rocks stuck in real cement to me. Looks like it could be jacked right off. There is probably brick behind it. Not sure whats happening with the stack. Can you post a picture of the outside of the house where the fireplace/chimney is please?

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Most MCM fireplaces did not have mantels but I think you could do something simple and stay clean.
  • 8 years ago

    yes,,clean, simple wood mantle. you could even make your own w/a solid piece of lumber. we did ours w/douglas fir, 2x8, and stained it ourselves. you could choose any lumber.


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    everdebz,,,sorry, I don't have a link for that. a lot of the pics I fine link back to Pinterest and it's too much trouble to go hunting to find the original post.

    but that one above, is just a stand alone FB w/custom mantle and wrap-around shelving they did. pretty easy.

  • 8 years ago
    Flo and Beth, I love these fireplace designs! I like the simple wood mantle - that is definitely the look that I wanted. Thank you!
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I think you can achieve a nice clean look after you remove the existing stone and even if you leave the current firebox, you could do a simple tile design and mantel fairly easily. I would also keep the design a fair distance from that door. You could make it asymmetrical with mantel shelf going from the wall across the firebox and to the right in a balanced way. That could be cool. See what the specialists say and we can help you from there.

  • 8 years ago

    yes,,good idea Flo. I was going to mention the same. see if the firebox could be brought in so you could be as wide as the chimney. then you could just go straight up. But yes, eliminate the right side, and do some wood shelving above the box or something on the other. definitely get a fireplace expert out there to see what your options are.

    one more thing, replace your door with a mcm type. you can find some great deals at salvage, Restore, craigslist. you need more of an mcm vibe door.

    (notice the windows above on this one. look familiar?)


    be cool if you could get one w/the cool door knob off in the middle part of the door.


    and of course you have to paint it a cool color

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    New door is a must as well! See how we can help you spend your money! Now you might be able to add some round details in each little box of the current door and paint it a MCM orange or turquoise to get in the zen of the period, if you want to. I would figure out the fireplace wall first, because you might want to go in a black and white direction as well. So, fireplace wall first, then we can figure out door solutions. Good observation Beth!

  • 8 years ago

    it's never too soon to start looking! sometimes you need to check craigslist daily. people often rip out these vintage doors and sell them for nothing. of course, they usually need some work like stripping, sanding and painting, but if you luck out and find one in your door size, great!

  • 8 years ago
    Here is the front of our house.
  • 8 years ago

    what a cute house! are you in Fla or SoCal?

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks, Beth! We are in SoCal.
  • 8 years ago

    south bay area?? lol. Your color choices are nice.

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks, Beth! I just saw that you are in SoCal too. We are in Costa Mesa.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    M Frainie - what a cute house and you have done such a nice job of creating a inviting curb appeal. I think a more rusty brown (cedar look) for the front door to lean more Mid-Century Modern. But the red is OK.

    More along this line. (the color of the wood)

  • PRO
    8 years ago


    A bright acid green would be great as well! You can go in a number of directions!

  • 8 years ago

    Do you think the same block that's on the front of the house is also behind the rocks inside?

  • 8 years ago
    We removed the faux river rock and exposed the block underneath. Unfortunately we cannot salvage it, so we will need a new design. Should we drywall the top above the mantel or do it all in one material? We are looking for contractors to redo the fireplace to be a smaller opening (3 - 4' instead of the current 5'5"). What is your opinion?
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Wow! great job! Looks better.

    Here is some inspiration

    or

  • 8 years ago

    As I mentioned above, it will be very expensive to change the firebox size, unless you use a gas insert, which will also be expensive. You might like the insert since it comes on with a flick of a switch, so no wood or ashes and you'll end up using it quite often to quickly take the chill off year around. Also you wouldn't need a hearth so you could run the floor up to the fireplace and the room would seem larger.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I wouldn't change the box size. you'll end up w/something looking like this. too small

    as for doing all tile, or drywall on top, it's up to you. I guess it depends on what you're choosing. a nice thick wood mantle going across the middle would be nice.

    or you could do some cool glazed brick like this and do the entire wall.