Software
Houzz Logo Print
s4powell

Matte Black Granite Perimeter Counter with Shiny White Quartz Island

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We're building a kitchen and we've added Honed Absolute Black Granite perimeter counters. Wanted to do a honed white marble on the island but that's not an option with the Fabricator. Will it look ok to do the large island in a White Quartz? Will the shine of the Quartz be alright with the Matte look of the Granite? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Need to decide ASAP!

Comments (16)

  • 8 years ago

    I think it will look great and I am thinking of doing the same. the matte black will allow your shiny white to be the star


    s4powell thanked just_janni
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks for your quick reply!


  • 8 years ago

    I think such a sheen change would lead a me todo more a light gray with the black. Might just depend on the actual piece when you get down to it.

    s4powell thanked herbflavor
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I'd try some fingerprints on a sample of that matte granite before I ordered it. And dunk the sample in some acetone and see if the black bleeds too.

    s4powell thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The fabricator can hone the white quartz.

    s4powell thanked STUDIO MB
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I think it would look just fine. Just keep in mind that honed granite can show all sorts of marks.

    s4powell thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    if you modify the finish of a quartz, like Silestone or Ceasarstone you nullify the warranty. Why can't the fabricator do a high hone on the marble? Or use Danby marble in a honed finish.

    s4powell thanked Weil Friedman Architects
  • 8 years ago
    We are doing honed black milky way granite on the back wall and LG minuet quartz on the island, we liked the combo.
    s4powell thanked Ryan Snow
  • 8 years ago

    we have leathered (honed?) absolute black perimeters and in each of the three bathrooms the island is butcher block and we love it no fingerprints, stuff (crumbs, flour etc) does show but clean up is easy and looks great

    i've had a very high end granite with lots of movement and i don't clean up any more now than i did then and i disliked it a lot......i wouldn't choose a "shiny" finish for the island but i'm not going to say it wouldn't be attractive... bil has absolute black (shiny) and it is difficult to keep looking nice...

    s4powell thanked zippity1
  • 8 years ago

    We wound up doing all white in our kitchen and, at times, I've wished we had chosen a darker color for the perimeter as well. That said, we had black granite in our old house and it showed every crumb, speck, and dust.

  • 8 years ago

    I like your plan and think it will be great.....we did a pale blush stone look Formica on our perimeter cabinets and did glossy black Absolute Granite on the 5 x 7 island.....in one foot square tiles, the cheapo look, but it is the one thing everyone loves in the kitchen. Post pics when it is done, sounds fab and you sound happy with your choice which is a win/win.

  • 8 years ago

    IMO, it will be perfect. I have honed AB on my perimeter, and Silestone on my island. The difference in sheen is subtle, and highlights the island just a bit, as someone mentioned above. Also, giving a +1 to the mention above about the quality of the AB. Mine never shows a single fingerprint or smudge. I just wipe it down with a slightly soapy cloth, or a mild bleach solution when needed. As a matter of fact, in the 4(?) years that I have had it, I have never resealed it, I think because it it such a dense granite.

  • 7 years ago

    Hi we are doing Lena Suede on the perimeter and Cambria Dovedale in matte finish on the island. Do the matte and the Suede look similar. We were contemplating doing the Island in Glossy but felt the contrast with the perimeter would be overbearing. Thoughts? Comments?


  • 5 years ago

    Our kitchen is a square w/island in the center. We’re considering utilizing the existing black granite counters on the perimeter and painting the cabinets while, while changing the island countertop to white quartz w/subtle thin dark grey-black veining. Backsplash is textured white subway tile and walls are white.
    -? Should we paint the island cabinets black or should we leave them white?

    • It’s 2021 - would the black cabinets on the island look dated?
      It’s a traditional home that we’re updating to look more modern.
  • 5 years ago

    misschi, this post is 2 years old. no one is going to scroll down to the bottom to see your question.

    start your own post w/a few pictures of what you want to use and your kitchen. you'll get a lot more help