0

Camellia sinensis losing leaves

upstatejohn

My camellia is 2 years old growing in a pot in NY. About a month after I took it inside for the winter it began to lose its leaves on the brown section of the stem while the ends continue to grow rather quickly. The leaves that are being lost stay green and only shrivel up a little bit before falling. Any ideas on what could be causing the leaf drop as I've lost almost all the leaves on the more mature part of the stem?

What kind of conditions does it receive indoors? These are not houseplants and will not tolerate "normal" indoor house conditions for any length of time. If brought indoors they will need a very cool (no more than 45F) location and bright but indirect light. And some attempt to maintain a relatively high level of humidity, which few houses possess.

• upstatejohn

It did well last year with no problems indoors over the winter. I have 6 total plants in a basement apartment that has pretty good humidity and cool temperatures. I use a growing lamp with the same settings and distance to plants as the year before when I had no problems. The other 5 have no issues, just my biggest plant. It confuses me because there have been 4 new growth areas with 12-15 new leaves while all the leaves on hardened stem have begun to fall.