Software
Houzz Logo Print
sgander

Bathrooms need help

13 years ago
We have two bathrooms with cold grey marble and old-fashioned blue fixtures. We really don't have the money right now to change anything but I was wondering about painting the bathroom suite all white (bath, basin, loo) and the marble another colour. Has anyone done this and is it advisable?

Comments (46)

  • 13 years ago
    Really? I don't mind trying that. How do I "glaze" the tub and basin? Is it safe, as so much water will be passing through it all the time.
  • 13 years ago
    No expert here, but I think the scrubbing that's needed in the bathroom is an issue.

    How about a creamier shade of white, rather than the pure white, such as the blue and creamy white of this nursery? Buy some beautiful fabric for a shower curtain and add a liner. Fabric swatches and paint chips are good for figuring out which is the right combo of colors.

    Swallow Drive · More Info

    Penthouse Downtown Boston · More Info

    Guest House with View to Pool through Arched Window · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I would yes.. also clorox the tiles or just regrout them....

    remove that shelf system and get bathroom hardware.... with shelves..
  • 13 years ago
    Do I regrout with white?
  • 13 years ago
    Love the blue and cream combination but I think toilet suites should be pure white...
  • 13 years ago
    Peter S. Balsam · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Look for bathroom reglazers in your area. Often, local paint store can recommend someone for you. I think the tile and some really bright white fixtures will really make the room new again. Can't tell what grout condition is, but if it needs help there are options you can do yourself or have grout cleaning and sealing done by professional. Love to see pictures of the rest of bathroom to recommend other changes/fixes.
  • 13 years ago
    Need a lot of shiny chrome to add some sparkle against the soft matte of the marble. Mirror, sconces, towel ring, etc. Agree that the shelf needs to go.
  • 13 years ago
    I've put up one other photo if that's any help?
  • 13 years ago
    Like the idea of shiny chrome and can definitely get that.
  • 13 years ago
    I think the retro look of your bath suite would be stunning in white. The shapes will look so classic when color changes.
  • 13 years ago
    Is the mirror inset into tile? Or hung on top of it?
  • 13 years ago
    The mirror is hung on top of the tile.
  • 13 years ago
    Any idea of what color you'd like to play off the gray and white? Green, raspberry, coral, teal? Like to recommend shower curtain options, but don't know what colors to look for
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Like to see a chrome framed oval pivot mirror to play off of the shape of toilet tank and to counterbalance all the rectangles
  • 13 years ago
    I have no idea. Aren't those very strong colors? I love peaceful shades: grey on grey, pearls, etc
  • 13 years ago
    I really need to get some storage in there if I remove my horrible metal shelving.
  • 13 years ago
    Pics
  • 13 years ago
    Ok, I'll look for peaceful colors. And storage
  • 13 years ago
    Beautiful! Thanks for these. I need visuals as I find it hard to imagine what it will all look like.
  • 13 years ago
    @mforr ... I was thinking the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... sgander you also need a new pedestal sink in white.... my suggestions... look on craig's list and sell your old sink... great deals on craig's list...
  • 13 years ago
    Pics
  • 13 years ago
    More
  • 13 years ago
    Those are just a few from one source, just want to see what you're drawn to and we can look for more options
  • 13 years ago
    What's the lighting situation? Are there sconces or just overhead light? If not, can you install sconces?
  • 13 years ago
    You could also brighten up the white paintwork.
  • 13 years ago
    Perhaps paint the ceiling a very pale light blue or pale aqua. Just a hint of color
  • 13 years ago
    I think a mix of silver, crystal and white for accessories
  • 13 years ago
    More
  • 13 years ago
    More
  • 13 years ago
    More
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, MForr for these lovely ideas. I don't know whether to go for a "cosmetic" overhaul first, just because I hate the blue, or to wait (about 3 years) to be able to afford to rip it all out and do what I really want with it.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm sure it will be lovely with whatever you do. Nothing has to be done right away, you could start just by looking into some of the things you might like to do and price them out. How much for reglaze vs new, how much for storage pieces. The things I showed you can be found at many different price points. Shower curtains are an easy fix, and the accessories are things you could find at yard sales and second hand shops if you look for silver plate and crystal. Nobody expects sterling and the finest cut crystal in your bath. Just the idea of it is nice. Take your time. I think you could get away with it even if you just have grout done and freshen things up with a new curtain. I'll check back to see how you're doing. Good luck!! :)
  • 13 years ago
    We are ripping out the old blue toilet suite and replacing it with all white. But the tiles have to stay. My problem is the side of the tub as those will be destroyed. What colour can I put there?
  • 13 years ago
    You could find a small mosaic that matches (mostly) the wall tile. Or a white subway tile. Or even a very well painted wood beadboard tongue and groove. Happy to hear your project is moving along, good luck! :)
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, mforr, you're always so encouraging! I've found a small mosaic that seems to pick up the greys of the wall tile. The flooring will be a dark grey lino. I was thinking of adding espresso cabinets/cupboards along with the white porcelain. Do you think that would be too harsh?
  • 13 years ago
    No, dark cabinetry with grey and white is a more updated classic look. Think 5 star hotels. Very sleek look. And very good if you feel bathroom is too pale. Some people like the bathroom to be all white, or pale. Others like that contrast. I'll show you a few inspiration pictures in a moment :)
  • 13 years ago
    These are gorgeous, the last one has white cabinetry but the magnificent mirror is very dark. I'm thinking you might not have enough room for that mirror? ;)
  • 13 years ago
    Sadly, not enough room for the fab mirror! But thanks for all the other photos which give me some visual about the pairing of darker wood with my tile. I'm thinking it might make an already small bathroom smaller...
  • 13 years ago
    Changed the porcelain! Couldn't match the marble that was broken during installation so used a black tile.
  • 13 years ago
    Sgander, it's gorgeous!!! It looks just as luxe as an en suite in a top resort. You did a marvelous job, well done
    Is it a breath of fresh air for you? I hope you're very pleased :)
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you, thank you soooo much mforr! Yes, we are thrilled with it! And it was super reasonable too!
  • 13 years ago
    I'm very, very happy for you. And it really, really looks luxe. Enjoy!!
  • 13 years ago
    Hope you'll invite me to next decorating dilemma!!! :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    We complete bathtub and wall tile refinishing and provide free estimates