Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carole_lasorsa

granite countertops

Carole LaSorsa
6 years ago
I just had the template for my granite countertops made My husband had them make a 3 inch radius on the corners of the island and each end of the cabinets I wasn't home and I'm now thinking that that is a little more traditional. I have a modern shaker straight lines everywhere. Any advice on whether to go straight squared off edges or the 3 inch radius corners? I still have time to change it.

Comments (30)

• lisadlu16
    6 years ago

Straight edge.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

I'm not fond of completely square edges on countertops. A 1/2" radius would hardly be too unshakery.

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the advice! I would do that on the island Do you think I should also do that on the ends of the cabinets?
  • Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Should I do the corners with a straight edge or also a half inch radius?
  • gle2011
    6 years ago

Hi Carole,

Would you mind sharing your granite choice and listing the appliances you went with and a brief reason why you chose them?

Thanks

We are about to select our appliances for our new home.

Thanks again

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I chose Electrolux. I bought a floor sample range that I would have been able to afford had it not been a floor sample. Then I decided to buy the coordinating counter depth refrigerator and dishwasher. They look nice! The reviews were good on these appliances. The refrigerator works great! the dishwasher is not hooked up yet. As you can see in the picture of the kitchen is not finjshed. I had to move a wall back one foot to be able to fit the refrigerator in. I was very nervous, but it came out great! it looks built in. They just did the template for the granite I chose white shiny 2 by 9 inch tiles for the backsplash. That and the range hood will be done after the granite is installed I can show you the granite that I picked that's still in the showroom. still having a hard time choosing handles everything I picked is over $25 x 32 that's quite pricey! I have to keep looking. I'm not sure about the island lights I just ordered two from potterybarn that I like
  • Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Those are the pictures of the pendant lights I just order. I hope I like them
  • gle2011
    6 years ago

Thanks, It's going to look Great!!! Good Luck!!

• providencesparrow
    6 years ago

Joseph, just wondering- why not completely square? Easily chipped?

• mark_rachel
    6 years ago

I would do a slight curve. A 1/2" radius will look pretty square to the eye with a smooth edge. It's really not that drastic. This is what we did on all corners besides one on my peninsula that is a high traffic area so we rounded it just a bit more.

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you I went there today and I did everything at a 90 degree angle with a half inch beveled Edge on the granite itself I only did a half inch radius on the 12 inch overhang of the island. I think that will be fine I hope so!
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

Square makes for hip injuries and is more likely to break. A slight radius is needed for keeping hips unbruised and for less likelihood of corners breaking off.

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I only did a half inch radius. I hope that's ok.
  • chicagoans
    6 years ago

Your stone!

swoon

I love it. What is the name?

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Silver Cloud
  • Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I have a better picture I took today
  • Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I think I sent it twice
  • mark_rachel
    6 years ago

Very nice stone. The stone yard that I go to just got this in & I sent a pic to a friend that wants gray. I've never noticed it before. Beautiful.

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Any advice on what beveled edge I should cbooze?
  • mark_rachel
    6 years ago

Have you asked your fabricator what comes standard with no extra charge? My fabricator will do the smaller bevels, but the large bevels are an extra charge per linear foot. Not worth it in my opinion.

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I have a half inch radius on the 12 inch overhang. Are you saying I should do the rest with a half inch as well. I thought I could leave that square.
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

Yes they all should have the radius.

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh well too late I did 90 degree angles except for the 12 inch overhang
  • dmpsd
    6 years ago

Realizing I must be really short . . . I couldn't get a hip injury from squared off granite even if I wanted to!

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm more upset that I ordered the quarter inch bevel. My husband said that's old fashioned on it looks like formica. I can't change it now I think they already cut it today
  • rebeccamomof123
    6 years ago

Also, not sure if you have younger kids but if so, square edges also make for stitches to the face.

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ha I don"t. I'm okay with the squared edges
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

They can change your edge profile to something larger, but it's going to cost you extra.

• Carole LaSorsa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I got very lucky! Called the company this morning and they did not yet cut the granite The were able to change everything for me!! I now have a half inch radius on all the corners. I went with the ease edge instead of the 1/4" bevel. I know I would have hated that!! I'm very relieved!! Imperial Granite in Essington Pa is a great o to deal with!