Software
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_morefield

Swedish Ivy Illness

8 years ago

Hello,

My Swedish Ivy plant recently started looking sick and I’m not sure what’s wrong with it or how to help. The leaves get brownish, sometimes in the middle of the leaf and sometimes on the edges and then kind of shrivel up and fall off. I posted a picture of one below. I started googling and read about INSV so I’ve got myself all worried that my other plants will get infected. Could anyone please advise? Thank you!


Comments (5)

  • 8 years ago

    Can you show a picture of the whole plant? And can you describe the growing conditions. My initial guess would be overwatering.

  • 8 years ago

    whats insv ?


    where are you ... is it in a window.. is the window getting cold now that its winter ....


    was it outdoors and brought in for winter ... etc ...


    what has changed.. culturally ... decreased light.. decreased temps... furnace on [humidity] ....


    and yes.. pic of the whole ...


    ken

  • 8 years ago

    INSV is some bacterial virus I read about on google last night. Apparently it can spread to other plants, but I don’t think that’s what it is. The pictures on google looked way worse than my plant.

    It’s been in my laundry room ever since I got it about a year ago which has a glass ceiling and has been really great for my plants. I’m in Houston, Texas and it recently got cold. The laundry room isn’t well insulated so I’d say it’s about 50-60 degrees in there lately. Probably colder at night. The Swedish Ivy did well last winter though, so I’m not sure if it’s the weather change.

    One thing that has changed recently is that I replanted it a couple weeks ago. It’d grown so fast in the laundry room and when I repotted it, it was pretty root bound. I do water it more than my other plants, but that’s only because it starts to droop really bad and look all sad if I don’t. My roommate and I call it my needy plant.

    I’ll post a picture of the whole plant later today. I picked off a ton off sick looking leaves though yesterday, so it looks a lot different.

  • 8 years ago

    Oh wait, I forgot I took this one yesterday.

  • 8 years ago

    i doubt cold has anything to do with it.. you would have to get down into the 30s ... imo ...


    its stressed from the transplant ... one thing that usually happens with such stress.. is loss of older leaves.. and looking at yours.. it appears to all be older leaves..


    the growth tips tips look fine ...


    water when a plant needs water.. and apparently your plant lets you know.. lol ...


    one thing i would do ... is google propagation of [latin name] .... and if you can root some new smaller more vigorous babes... i would eventually get rid of this old thing ... sooner or later.. old plants just get too problematic ... e.g... if thats the new pot.. that wasnt much of an up pot for that sized plant ... and you are going to be doing it again soon ...


    sooo.. if you can get a new one going .. what the heck ... keep in mind.. a clone.. or rooting of this specific plant.. is still the same plant.. if there is some sentimental attachment to such ...


    ken


    ps: also.. note where you removed the old leaves.. the buds there .... are already triggered ... and this thing is just going to get bigger ... that also indicates to me.. without researching it.. that this plant would easily root .... you can cut off the end.. and those buds.. will take its place ....