Software
Houzz Logo Print
kim_lynch

Need help for my kitchen

13 years ago
What color should I paint my kitchen? Oak cabinets, white countertops, tile, white floor and white appliances?

Comments (4)

  • 13 years ago
    First, what's your design style?

    If you're favoring cottage-y you could dare to paint in a pale blue or green like Farrow & Ball's Cooking Apple Green or Lulworth Blue. If you lean more contemporary/modern, try using a black or any other striking bold. More traditional? Try a selection from the ever-trendy gray family - note that gray can mean undertones of other colors (gray-blues, gray-greens, gray-violets, etc) so choose wisely with your surrounding decor.
  • 13 years ago
    I am definitely not contemporary/modern design style. I just moved into this house, and it was built in the 1960's. I want all the rooms to flow together....there is an entry hallway that has a creamy ceramic tile floor, the living room is off of the entry hall with hideous mint green carpeting that will be teared out. Plan to refinish the hardwood floors and use area rugs. My boyfriend has outdated leather furniture, and the dining room is connected to the living room with a very traditional dining room set and lighted china cabinet. The kitchen is off the dining room. Would like to do a taupe color in the living room, with a deeper color in the dining room to set it off. I like to mix my design styles....traditional, but with an electric flair.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Light gray.
  • 13 years ago
    I think it must be a rite of passage for men to by overscaled leather furniture! My husband had the same stuff when we moved in together!

    Exciting plans for your reno project - replacing the flooring will make all the difference! And getting some neutralizing color on the walls will open up your home to afford you room to engage more of your eclectic tastes within accessories, art, etc.

    With that said, given a few other factors, I'd narrow down starting with contrast level, however, from there you'll have to hone in on your choice more precisely:

    [Low Contrast] like a tone-on-tone, textural play with your cabinet wood grain using a cream or flaxen color and then perhaps incorporating other elements that bridge that range from taupes to creams to whites throwing in accents within the darker elements from your dining room selection.

    [Balanced] Enhance your white features while affording enough visual weight to your cabinets to anchor the room. To lean more traditional on the edge of trendy - I'd paint them a mid-tone gray like this one:
    Insidesign Project 2 · More Info

    Or perhaps within the color family from the paint used in the dining room which will keep everything contiguous.

    [High Contrast] just as it sounds, playing on the stark contrast with the white, but well within the box - consider a chocolate, russet, or navy which are all in the neutral family and should balance well within any pallette. I'm sure the latter is hard to envision so here's an example:
    http://www.kitchenbuilding.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/blue-cabinets.jpg

    Once you decide your contrast level, then I'd give yourself between 3-5 choices, toss them out on your counter and make a selection within a few seconds. If you can't, walk away then come back and try again. In my experience - it's the intial color that grabs you that ends up being the best! You will know when you see it!

    Best of luck! I hope you post it when it's done!