Software
Houzz Logo Print
francisdo

HELP my cold white kitchen!!

13 years ago
I think new counter tops?

Comments (19)

  • 13 years ago
    I think the counters tie in the white appliances so I'm not sure that I'd change those unless you're planning other changes too?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like the wall color. I'd like a new counter. New nickel hardware on the cabinets. Long pulls. Paint the wall color on the backsplash if you're not usiing a new material.
  • 13 years ago
    I would start with a major de-clutter right now honestly it is so hard to see what you are working with. I am thinking a warmer color on the walls might be enough combined with accents..but I am not quite sure until I see a shot of just the counters.
  • 13 years ago
    Here the de-clutter pictures
  • 13 years ago
    Wow, what a big difference! I don't mind the counters. I would consider a warm color on the wall and backsplash that blends with the cabinet color or---if you're up for it--paint the cabinets white and put new cool hardware on them. I have done that in several houses and it looks awesome, but it is a big step....
  • 13 years ago
    You could also paint the stools a fun bright color that relates to the walls.
  • 13 years ago
    Paint the backsplash or use some thing with color such as tile or copper tiles that come in large sheets for backsplashes. I think it would go nice with your wall color and with your cabinets. Another thing you might want to change for an easy fix is your hardware on the cabinets.

    I see that you are very sentimental like me. Perhaps you might want to do what I did. I hung my family photos and kids drawing on the inside of my cabinet doors. That way, I see them whenever I open the doors, but they do not make the cabinets look busy and cluttered.
  • 13 years ago
    I don't think your kitchen is cold or white! But I do think you have too much stuff on the counters and on top of the cabinets. You should declutter; eliminate EVERYTHING on the counters and cabinets. Set up an art wall for pictures and drawings. Paint the bar stool legs colors that you love, and then perhaps upholster the tops with a complimentary vinyl. Very easy to do.
  • 13 years ago
    With the white appliances and wood cabinets I stick to my first comment about keeping the counters. I agree about either repainting or replacing the bar stools. Adding a fun rug or two would also help break up the tile floor.
  • 13 years ago
    It's hard to tell where you have wall space but I would consider removing the pics and putting the ones you want to keep displayed in black frames with white mats and make a little gallery wall.
  • 13 years ago
    Your kitchen looks almost exactly like mine before- we got rid of the wall between kitchen and dining- the difference is amazing!!! We put the stove in the island and installed a stainless hood. Moved frig to other wall hated how it stuck out and put cabinets around so now we actually have some storage. See my idea book- my after pics are on my other computer....
  • 13 years ago
    Do you already have pull out shelves in the base cabinets? I see from your kitchen ideabook photos that you like the pantry shelves with a lot of storage.
  • 13 years ago
    Having a bad day Serra? Not very professional or helpful.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I think you would like your kitchen more if you could find a home for all your things that are taking up too much valuable space on the counters. Pull all the things down from on top of the cabinets also. It's hard sometimes to know where to beigin. A suggestion to help. If you only use an appliance once or twice a year, I would place it in a high cabinet. Keep all the everyday things in your lower cabinets. I think if you go through each cabinet, you will find space for some of the things that are on the counters.
    Label three large bags or boxes. Donate, Trash, Keep. Start by looking and analyzing each item and place in one of those boxes. If you can organize and clear off everything you will get rid of the anxiety about the kitchen. Too much stuff creates anxiety. Remove everything off the cabinet doors. Create photo wall as others said.
  • 13 years ago
    @apple_pie_order I want those but... that means I have to change all the Cabinets
  • 13 years ago
    Would these tie with the kitchen?
  • 13 years ago
    Is the first pic a counter choice? I fear that would make your white appliances stick out not in a good way.
  • 13 years ago
    Rev-a-shelf and other companies make pull out shelves that you can install in your existing cabinets. Here are some photos from This Old House: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,709890,00.html

    On colors: if you want to warm up the room, you need to add warm colors, not cool colors such as the blue green glass mosaic tiles. Perhaps you might get closer to the warm look you want with new tan or orange-y wall paint that coordinates well with honey oak cabinets. This kitchen from your ideabook shows warm colors:
    Campbel · More Info


    Adding new countertops is not going to make the kitchen look better unless 90% of the things on the countertops are put away. That's why more useful storage from pull out shelves could help you. Even heavy crockpots can go on bottom shelves if they can be pulled out easily.