Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppapoodle

Mantle decoration

Peppapoodle
6 years ago

We have a double sided FP between great room & kitchen. This side faces the great room. Kitchen side has an antique Audubon lithograph of blue heron.

while I love the lithograph that's up on this side, I don't know if it's right for the FP. Also, if the arrangement of blue/white is too busy? For Christmas, I just added the greenery & fairy lights.

I was wondering if y'all think I should change to either 1. Coordinating Audubon print (I can't do an old one right now) 2. A mirror-maybe simple style with spacers at the top so it doesn't reflect the ceiling fans( necessary here in the south!!)

This shows oppos side of FP. Maybe a mirror would reflect some light to the FP?

This shows opposite side of FP. Chairs are gone-- too big

Thank you!!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

You could use some directed light on that lovely rock wall. Any chance you could accomplish that? Nothing really shows up on the fireplace without it.

Peppapoodle thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Maria Privat
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Lovely home, lovely candles on the fireplace! Yes, things could be changed. But why would you? On the side of the great room it all says 'you' in a time were many are more like 'shop'. So enjoy the lovely things and cozy atmosphere you created and be thankful once more for it.

So: on the side of the great room I would leave it as is. If you however are able to create the same intimite style on the side of the kitchen: that would be an enhancement. For those three pots over there do shout 'shop' instead of 'you'.

Maybe the beauty of the great room side is that it isn't equally balanced (yet still balanced somehow). Where the kitchen side is way too balanced and the color white is too intrusive.

The passe partout around the picture in the great room is brown and totally fits in with the fire place. On the side of the kitchen that same brown might make the picture there less intrusive.

Yep, I know, there will always be people who think exactly the opposite. But I think you did a fine job and only need some encouragement to do the same on the side of the kitchen as well.

Oh, and don't go for the same bird picture twice. That would be boring. I mean: same size, same color. Just a bit too much of the same. The pictures you have now are fine. Same topic, but still different enough.

Peppapoodle thanked Maria Privat
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

I wouldn't change the print unless you find something you like better. And I like the blue and white, especially with the chair and blue and white garden stool, but then I always like blue and white porcelain/ceramics!

Beautiful rooms, and the wreaths on the windows are lovely.

Peppapoodle thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beverly, there were supposed to be directional eyeballs over the FP, but they got missed. I see what your saying.......I do have electrical socket behind pictures on each side. Picture lights?

Aktillery, awwwww...... thank you! And ditto right back at you! I've always loved what you've done over the years with your homes. And this new one is fantastic!!

Maria, what a nice and thoughtful response! I'm actually not a shopper, much. I've inherited the blue/white pieces (-the garden stool), and both of the artwork above the FP. The framing on the Audubon is from the 60's and could be updated. The white is stark for the stone. I have never thought of that!! Yes, the pots are IKEA &I gone now. The kitchen side is a WIP. Another chair, slipcovers & small table are in the works. Mint julep cups hold faux artichokes. I had pomegranates, but they went bad & I haven't replaced.

Thank you, Beckysharp! No mirror??

Indidnt know if the group of blue/white looked too busy or not. I have a very hard time editing. But, I'm not a minimalist!!

Happy Holidays:)

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

After looking at these pictures......... I think I've made a huge mistake with the ceiling-cedar and the FP stones. Do they clash?!?

I feel like I've screwed up- big time!

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

I think the ceiling looks fine with the stone. I think your mantle would stand out more if you had more string lights on it in white. It would add a bit more sparkle.

Peppapoodle thanked Saypoint zone 6 CT
  • Olychick
    6 years ago

No, you didn't screw up, they are beautiful together. Both rustic, earthy elements - not meant to match at all!! They complement each other wonderfully.

You have a beautiful home and you've decorated it so nicely, I don't understand why you're insecure about your choices! It has a charming collected look that is so refreshing after the dominance of gray, neutral furnishings and homes with no character at all.

That fireplace is to die for; your heron pic is one of my all time favorite art pieces ever posted here (but I'm a birder so have a special place in my heart for it).

I'm sure others will reassure you, too!

Yes to a picture light. I also saw something called a mantel light that washes the upper part of the fireplace with light, but I can't seem to find a pic of one in use. Apparently washes the picture and fireplace above the mantel in light from below. Not sure how that might look vs a traditional down light picture light.

Peppapoodle thanked Olychick
  • Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Batteries for fairy lights on my list!!

Oly, I am insecure about it!! It's hard being the odd man out, I feel sometimes. I felt so rushed when we built this out & now I have more time & see mistakes. Ugh. But, I do love where I live-just want it all to be aesthetically pleasing, as well.

Im off to search for the mantle light-that's really neat!

• amykath
    6 years ago

Pep, I have that same rug in my living room that you have on the side of your kitchen! I love it. Hope you are loving yours too!

I am sure you have already seen this pic, but here it is behind my sofa.

• Peppapoodle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I SO copied your rug!!! And so appreciate the referral to esale rugs.

I would love some true rugs eventually, but these are great!!

That one in front of FP has several burn holes from fire & No worries!!

Did you add another to your room? Lovely, lovely room

Reminds me of this one some.....

• amykath
    6 years ago

I did pick another for the living room. It is similar but a bit brighter.

Yes, that room does have some similarities to mine. Next time I take a photo I need to turn all of my lights on so that it looks brighter!

Peppapoodle thanked amykath