Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19781612

Source for Lulu?

8 years ago

I've been wanting to try a single (or semi-single?) early HT, and I just read about Lulu in "The Rockwells' Complete Book of Roses", where they describe it as having some of the most elegant buds of any rose. But I'm concerned that the only source on HMF is Rogue Valley after reading about their worsening troubles with sending out misidentified roses. I haven't ordered from them for several years, but even then I think about a quarter of the roses I've gotten from them have been wrong. Does anybody else know of another source? Or do you think I should risk it? And any other thoughts about Lulu?

Comments (31)

  • 8 years ago

    I have no idea, but am happy that I'm not the only one reading the Rockwells' book. I put in a couple of plugs for it just yesterday on the Rose forum. It's a wonderful resource for older HTs and much els.

  • 8 years ago

    I think that must be where I heard about it. Thank you for that recommendation! Only thing shocking to me is just how much poison they sprayed back then.

  • 8 years ago

    Do you know which version you have? I have the last one and they seem to have moved towards spraying less or just with sulfur. I also recall a section where they discuss the "new" method of spraying the leaves with fertilizer etc. There is a lot of info packed on that book.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I have the 1958 edition, and they recommend a weekly full spraying with methoxychlor, which they say is a relative of DDT! But I did really enjoy the book, especially the sections on rose variety recommendations and propagation. I had never read about tip or air layering before, so that was fascinating.

  • 8 years ago

    That's hilarious! I must have missed that bit; I guess I have selective reading! I use it more as a reference looking up things as I become interested in them. I notice things that I never did before now that I know a bit more about roses.

  • 8 years ago

    I took a chance and ordered Lulu from Rogue Valley. Here's hoping for Christmas miracle.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I'm hoping for that also! Please report back. I researched this last night and only found a few people on the forum that grew it at one time. Perhaps one will see this if they still have it. I was also going to suggest Burling given R. Moore's use of it in his breeding, but her list didn't include it. However, mine is from a couple of years ago. connie from Hartwood roses grows it and used to sell it, but she's discontinued sales. I may check with Burling myself for my spring order from her. I also have a few things to get from RVR that only they have, so let's hope they come through!!!

    P.S. I have the 1966 edition and they comment that the foliar feeding didn't pan out and many insecticides are now banned or limited in availability. Since I've yet to spray, I guess I never paid attention to that chapter!!!! Imagine doing that every week. With midge and BS the temptation is great, although some stuff currently available is still pretty bad.

  • 8 years ago

    I should have thought to check with Burlington. I will report back on what happens with the RVR order. The more I learn about Lulu, the more I want it!

  • 8 years ago

    Lulu arrived at dusk today, and I put it right into the ground. Now comes the wait for some buds to confirm its identity:

    Because, I had my camera out today, here are a couple other things blooming for me right now:

    Hermosa:

    Bon Silene:


    Général Schablikine:

    Emmanuella de Mouchy (or Irene Bonnet):

  • 8 years ago

    Beautiful, rbehs! Keep us posted on the new one. I'm hoping RVRs comes through.

  • 8 years ago

    rbehs.....thanks for updating this thread! I missed it back in December.

    My house was built in 1919, so I'm always on the lookout for roses from that time period. After roseseeks' glowing review I looked it up on HMF and I bought one from RVR!

    We can compare notes on Lulu as the year progresses...

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Rbehs, great news! Looks like a healthy little plant! Did you ever check with Burling? Your flowers look so beautiful and you have such lovely varieties. I may have to get a Hermosa myself since I have Setina. That bud is beautiful.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Rosylady, my house is from 1916, so me, too. Looking forward to comparing and contrasting.

    You reminded me to email Burling, Vaporvac, which I just did. Hermosa has really grown on me. I have it along my front walkway, and it is almost always in bloom. I feel like it greets me every morning on my way to work. It also stays a nice compact size. I got it from Vintage Gardens when they had their final release of roses.

    Edit: Just heard from Burling. No Lulu.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Aww!!! Thanks for checking. I'm glad to hear how well Hermosa does for you, although we are in quite different zones. I'm really taken with Setina.

    It seems like we should start a 1916 Club as my house was finished that year (it was started in 1914).

  • 8 years ago

    Well, then your garden MUST also contain Hadley, Irish Fireflame (all 1914), and California, Los Angeles, Isobel and Red Radiance (1916), all of which have grown well for me in Zone 9 (So Cal) and are all beautiful, well-scented roses. And, you should be able to find them with, possibly not quite as much effort as Lulu.

  • 8 years ago

    Los Angeles is on my permanent want list. I can state as of today it is out of stock at Burlington!

  • 8 years ago

    Just checked out Isobel on help me find and she looks fantastic...no vendor in US?

  • 8 years ago

    It is always worth checking with Burlington for some of these older, weirder things. I can't vouch for whether she STILL has them, but she HAS had the vast majority in years past and probably stands the best chances of still having something around.

  • 8 years ago

    As an update, here is my first Lulu bloom. It looks like RVR sent me the correct rose:

  • 8 years ago

    Ughh! I was JUST THINKING about this last night! Wow! That is SO beautiful. What an elegant bud and the globular hypanthium! Please post photos as it opens and report back.

  • 8 years ago

    I can't wait to see this bloom open!! Thanks for updating us!

    I haven't planted mine yet :)

  • 8 years ago

    Here is the opened bloom. Not a perfect flower, but good for its first try:

  • 8 years ago

    Truly enchanting. I am SO glad you tracked this one down and gave it a try. I think you may be enabling a few here with these pictures. I could be happy with a plant just full of those buds!

    User thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 8 years ago

    I love the color of this rose! Is it very fragrant?

    User thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • 8 years ago

    That's a good question. I hadn't tried smelling it. I went to smell it just now, and would say it has a light fruity fragrance, similar to Soleil d'Or.

  • 6 years ago

    I would love to hear an update on this Rose.

  • 6 years ago

    I'm the former rbehs--and I'm sad to report that Lulu died this fall. First, I accidentally snapped off the main growth when I was pruning a lemon verbena, and then it was swamped by Ceratostigma willmottianum and Geranium incanum on either side. I tried transplanting it this spring, and I thought it was going to get reestablished, but it was too little, too late. I was thinking of ordering another one, because I really enjoyed this conversation and the one flower I saw before its death.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    That IS a SAD tale. Yes, you should re-order. If ever they have all the things I'd like I'd get it myself, but you are the guinea pig! :: )) I really have never seen such an elegant bud and the flower is exquisite. This is one that shouldn't be lost. BTW, what is the gorgeous rose growing behind Lulu in the bud picture?

  • 6 years ago

    That is Pam's Choice!

  • 6 years ago

    She is very pretty. I did not know Paul is the breeder until i just Google up.

    Agree with Vap, you should order the rose again.

    Rbehs, didnt you moved to a new house ? I hope you settle down. I totally miss your threads and pics.