Software
Houzz Logo Print
mjb5616

Letting go of books.

8 years ago

I have a hard time parting with any of my books but I know some I will never read again, some I don't need. Some have changed relevance to me. ( Ex. I have two Doonesbury collections from the 70's that I used to love to read. I read them recently and the world has changed so much, they weren't as relevant to me and I couldn't remember why they were at the time.)


I don't want to just throw them away, the libraries don't really want them, yet I do want to keep many of them.


Any ideas?

Comments (18)

  • 8 years ago
    Do you have a specific question?

    I know how you feel. My husband and I used to have a lot of history and literature books. Years ago, we were at an estate sale, and the garage was filled with table after table of...guess what...history and literature books. We thought we hit the jackpot. And then it dawned on us. When we die, that's what our home was going to look like, heaps of old books.

    I think it's best to purge in stages. If you know you'll never read it again or if you can readily pick it up at the library, get rid of it. Do it yourself guides should go as most of that information is on line. Outdated craft or technical books should be the first to go too. Then you can start working on the stuff that has some memory attached, like books you enjoyed 20 years ago that seem irrelevant now. Maybe try Craigslist to see if there is another like-minded person who would be interested in them. It might help letting go if you know the books are going to someone who appreciates them. And you're right about libraries as they only want recent titles that can be sold at book sales, and even thrift shops are getting picky about what they'll take.

    When I have garage sales, I usually just give the books away for free. If there's anything left, it usually confirms that nagging feeling inside me...these books really don't mean anything to anyone else. It takes time, but eventually you'll start seeing your collection more objectively. Good luck!
    Ziggy Stardust thanked tallgrassdesign
  • 8 years ago

    Are there any large charity booksales in your area?

    We purged books before the move and sent dozens of boxes (wine boxes are great) of books to the VNSA book sale in Phoenix. It was convenient because one of the volunteers lived nearby and could pick up a SUV's worth of books every other Monday.

  • 8 years ago

    I'll have to look into that. Thank you

  • 8 years ago

    Funny, I've been culling books today too. They're going somewhere tomorrow, be it friends of the library, Goodwill, or a nursing home!

  • 8 years ago

    My library won't accept any more. I've been re-reading, and finding a lot of books that I would never read again. I drop them on benches, in bathroom, etc. Or if a wait person looks interested, I give them the books.

  • 8 years ago

    Cacoco - you are the bookfairy

  • 8 years ago

    I agree with Tallgrassdesign about doing it in stages. I've taken to doing that with a lot of categories, most recently knick knacks. A small box is easier to pass along than what looks like a moving van's worth- and it's not overwhelming to the recipient either.

    Call some local thrift stores and see if they want books. That use to be the main reason I would stop by thrift stores, but it seems like more and more they are less interested, either not a big seller, or they get too many. Some places may be glad to have them, some not so much. Be picky in what you donate- most thrift stores don't want encyclopedias, textbooks, or technical manuals, but you can ask that sort of thing if you call around!


  • 8 years ago

    I've gone from 4 full cases to 2 2/3 full cases over the last decade. It wasn't easy! My library has a bin for donated books and I like to think most of my discards get sold either during the regular used book sales or are put on the shelves of daily book sale. If they recycle the paper I am fine with that.

    What I do with odds and ends from other decluttering projects might work for you though. I put up a curb alert with photos on Craig's List and stuff gets picked up. I don't leave my email so no dealing with scheduling pick ups and excited people wanting me to save things then never showing up.

    Ziggy Stardust thanked Kathy Yata
  • 8 years ago

    I will confess that I have actually thrown books into the recycling.

    We tend to think of books are permanent things--and they can be. But they don't have to be.

    All books published in the U.S. are in the Library of Congress. And most people who really want a book, have it.

    So it's OK to get them out of your house in whatever way.

    Also, we often tie books (reading them AND owning them) into our identity in some ways that aren't always healthy. You will still be an intelligent person who values reading and thinking--even if you do throw some books in the garbage.

  • 8 years ago

    Wow, your thoughts on identity, are probably one of the reasons I hate to let go. thanks for the insight.

  • 8 years ago

    So true! Reality is some books just won't be used as times have changed. That 1980s encyclopedia hadn't been cracked for a good decade where as a child I read through all of a much earlier edition. Love atlases but Google Maps are way more fun. Anything found in my old textbooks can be found online. When I want to cook/bake it is loads of fun googling the ingredient I need to use up.

    Really books are valuable for the sentimental value so start there. Sure Black Beauty is at the library but I treasure the $1 edition I got for my 9th birthday from a friend. I didn't treasure the Shakespeare plays I found in a wonderful vintage edition so out they went. Neat books but if I ever do want to read Shakespeare I sincerely hope they will be at the library!

  • 8 years ago

    I've also recycled quite a few books, and there is nothing wrong with doing that either.

    DH had shelves of books relating to current computer systems, which after a while aren't current or useful in any way. Eventually books like that have to end up in the recycling bin because they take up so much space, and provide nothing. Other types of books with damage (that aren't likely rare) also go in the recycle bin. I look it at this way: Have you ever watched a show like Antiques Roadshow and they talk about something that was once common being valuable because nobody kept them? I'm contributing to the value of someone else's computer manual collection by tossing ours and making theirs more rare :^P

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    There is a chain bookstore in my area that sells used books. They allow you to trade in used books for store credit or cash. I also used to know someone that sold used books on ebay and amazon. He made quite a bit of money off it.

  • 8 years ago

    My parrot loves to chew paper, so that is another way I get rid of books that I don't want to keep.

  • 8 years ago

    I’m not sure if this is available in your area or if you’ve ever heard of Nextdoor? It is a social media site where you can interact with people who live in your neighborhood & surrounding neighborhoods. It is private in that you have to validate where you live and only people in your hood can see your info, vice versa. It is excellent for things like: crime& safety, trying to find a new home for unused items, selling things, finding out about local businesses & events, etc. Where I live in Louisiana, free items are pretty common topics in Nextdoor. It might be something to look into!!

    Also, if you are at all crafty, I know there are many DIYs & projects you can find online to repurpose them! Great for layering decor also!

    Hope this is somewhat useful! Good luck

  • 8 years ago

    I am in the middle of a major book purge right now. I am moving from a house that has an office/library (shelves on three walls) to a condo. Since my shelves are built in, I have NO book cases. I've also developed a visual impairment that makes it difficult to read without my Kindle. With my current home still on the market, I can't completely purge, but this is how I've been handling it. I have three boxes in the room as I sort through each shelf. One is to donate, one is for books to give to specific people (who I know will love them), and one is to pack and take with me. I am taking my art and photography books, my original Nancy Drew books (that have been read by many nieces and my daughter), some children's books for my granddaughters, and misc books that I love. I take a box to the local literacy program supporting book store as I fill it, and I give away the others to friends and family. I have the luxury of having some time to do all of this. It isn't easy, but I do feel great when I give a book to someone who is happy to receive it.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I do keep relevant how to books... the internet is fine but I like immediate reference on paper at a size that i can see.

    We have a yearly book sale at our library, last year I donated 10 bags of books (paper grocery bag size) as I continue to move. However, I still have plenty of books.... I have stopped going to such book sales in the past couple of years, because so many books for some reason just wanna follow me home....

    One of the farmer's markets here has a cookbook/food related book swap table. I've donated books to that, and someone always takes what I've dropped off within a few weeks.

    I've recycled old computer books... amazing how old and now useless some of them were!