Software
Houzz Logo Print
alicoin

Dark hardware, yay or nay?

8 years ago

We are thinking of installing dark pulls as shown (its not flat black, more of an iron). We thought it might tie in the darker stainless steel appliances and add a bit of contrast. What do you think? I know a lot of people go with brushed nickel so I wasn't sure.Also, the island is a grey/green (last two photos show it), kind of hard to tell in the photos. The remaining cabs are a bright white.


Before judging the rest of our kitchen, please keep in mind we are still under construction ;)

For example, we are still deciding on the paint color for the back wall but may pick some kind of white (that's just primer up there). Open to suggestions on that too!






Comments (17)

  • 8 years ago

    I like the hardware! A light warm grey would look nice on your walls. It would make the white cabinets more of a feature and pick up on the grey in the tile.

    alicoin thanked houssaon
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks Houssaon! I was thinking the same thing for the wall color too. I'm going to have to try out a few samples!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Go with the dark hardware! Looks great, provides contrast and isn't what everyone else is doing.

    alicoin thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 8 years ago
    Go with all pulls and no knobs. Less wear and tear on your cabs.
    alicoin thanked jeannetteburgess
  • 8 years ago
    I like the dark but not crazy about the hardware you’ve chosen. I would upgrade the pulls.
    alicoin thanked Kathi (kmcd)
  • 8 years ago

    Yes I know what you mean Kathi! I'm not sure about that pull shape...I found a beautiful pull, but hated the coordinating knobs, and it only came in a flat black which seemed a little harsh. I finally found this knob, which I love the size and color, but then I'm not a fan of the pulls. I've been taking home samples for months, and it seems nothing is quite right. I'm on the brink of just saying "Give me whatever is in stock! I just need to be able to open my @%!$ cabinets".

    As you can probably tell, this kitchen remodel has been a long process. ;)

  • 8 years ago

    I like the dark but am not a fan of the pulls. The knobs look better. The pulls look a little builder grade IMHO.

    alicoin thanked futura431
  • 8 years ago

    I would suggest going with black nickel hardware so you have the dark color contrast along with a bit of elegant reflection.

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks Elle, I was looking at a pewter color, which was really pretty, because of the reflective-ness and it was darker than brushed nickel. I will look into the black nickel, that sounds like what I am looking for!

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Restoration Hardware has beautiful pulls and knobs--very well made and surprisingly affordable. Bistro, Aubrey and Ephram are all available in oil rubbed bronze (which is for the most part black) and priced at between $5 and $20 depending on the size. And they are on sale right now ;)

    alicoin thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 8 years ago
    As long as the knobs and pulls are well matched in color, they don’t need to be the same style or from the same collection. So get the ones you love.
    alicoin thanked teamaltese
  • 8 years ago
    I just replaced the brushed nickel in the house we bought with matte black pulls for both drawers and door and I love it! I chose large bar pulls, which are like the European pulls but squared at the edges. I think black pulls would look great in your new kitchen, but I do agree with others that the hardware you have pictured may not be the best choice... Good luck, I know I looked for months before finding what worked for me!
    alicoin thanked Susan Sease
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I agree with everyone regarding the pull (that it could be improved upon). It's usually okay to mix and match different styles as long as it's the same manufacturer. There are a lot of possibilities out there in oil-rubbed bronze. Consider placing the knobs so that they are tangent to the rail. I believe the hardware in this kitchen was from Restoration Hardware.


    I suggest sticking with a white for the walls.

  • 8 years ago

    1. Regarding "painting": I would absolutely tile that entire sink wall!!! This will give you a more expansive feel to your kitchen, eliminating another transition/break to one's eye.

    2. Regarding hardware: Dark hardware looks great/works easily-- I'd upgrade to a more custom look though. You could also consider a matte brass to modernize the look-- you can mix w/stainless. What type/style/finish do any lighting fixtures have in this room?

    Here are a few options from RH:


    alicoin thanked imhofan
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thank you so much everyone for all the advice. I completely forgot about Restoration Hardware! I love the ones shown in the photos from imhofan and Weil Friedman Architects. The pulls I posted are actually solid brass in a matte bronze finish, in person the color looks really nice and they feel great. But I agree with everyone that they aren't quite the right style, especially the wire pull.

    Also, imofan, I actually don't have any pendant lights/fixtures aside from just some recessed lighting in the ceiling. The kitchen flows right into the living room so I could incorporate some lighting/furniture with dark iron/steel components (I was thinking of going that route anyway). Living room is pretty much empty right now, we're redoing that too so it's a blank (completely empty) slate!

  • 8 years ago

    In case anyone was curious, we finally installed our hardware! Still have to install some open shelving left of the window and paint the wall. But getting there!