Software
Houzz Logo Print
carla3127

Need some shade!

13 years ago
Our backyard has no shade during the day...We were thinking of installing a small patio with a gazebo...What do you think? Where would you place it?

Comments (31)

  • 13 years ago
    What a great yard! Putting something like a gazebo in the back would make for a very pretty scene when you are on those great back porches. I'm torn between the middle of the back, where you could see it, or in the back right corner (when you're looking out) so it could be a little hidden by the trees and kind of have a secret garden vibe to it (though maybe it would get buggy?)

    I was also going to suggest a deck off the back of the house with a pergola, but it looks like that might be too crowded with the trees, garage, retaining wall.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi, great back garden and views....how about considering some sail shades - very modern look and feel and with the various trees you have, posts may not be required...they are relatively inexpensive and easily hung/taken down. See picture as an example.
  • 13 years ago
    We are waiting for our gazebo to arrive for the same reason that you are!

    I agree, I would put it toward the back as well. It would be there as a "destination" not just close to the house. If you wanted to be close to the house, you would just stay on the porch.

    I love the circular rock wall by the walkway. Have you considered making a border garden on the top edge of it? You could have some trailing plants spill over the edge at some places, it would be a beautiful thing to view from the gazebo.
  • 13 years ago
    What a lovely view! Maybe more to left side so you can keep the view area open from house and leave room for children running around to the right. Also, I wouldn't move too far from house if there will be dining area underneath gazebo
  • 13 years ago
    What kind of gazebo were you considering?
  • 13 years ago
    Good point mforr about dining. Wouldn't want to be dragging a lot of food out there, but a glass of wine would be fine!
  • 13 years ago
    Mmmm, that would be nice, it's a lovely garden. Wonder where it is? Pretty bay view
  • 13 years ago
    mforr, come on over to the OLLD 6/5 thread.
  • 13 years ago
    It truly is! And that view!
  • 13 years ago
    Stop drooling over that view, handymam, your getting my screen all wet :) need a squeegee!
  • 13 years ago
    Uh oh, you are on to me!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for all your great suggestions! We used to have a few gardens in our yard including some that hung over the retaining wall but after having kids we found them hard to maintain so we took them out...I would love to put a patio in where we could house a few chairs and a table and eat there occasionally...The area by the garage would be great but we open those storage doors often to get the kids stuff out so think it is too busy of a spot to put a table there...The only place I could imagine things working would be in the back part of the yard...I really appreciate all of your feedback!
  • 13 years ago
    Good luck with whatever you do, your garden and view are so lovely
  • 13 years ago
    Ok...added a gazebo to the backyard but am having some second thoughts about doing that....Not sure why I don't like it....Is the gazebo too big?
  • 13 years ago
    Is the gazebo too big?
  • 13 years ago
    No it's not too big, wonder if you don't like the glare on the canopy?
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe a pergola with a retractable canopy that pulls back if you want it to? I'll find pic of what I mean
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Carla - I think if you added a flagstone pathway to the gazebo it would look like a plan instead of just dropped off in the back of the yard. Make the path inviting and create some interest along the way, What is the square to the left of the yard?
  • 13 years ago
    Here
  • 13 years ago
    The other area is a fireplace where we roast hotdogs and things at night with the kids
  • 13 years ago
    I think I might try using some panels to create a backdrop for the other fireplace area. Just the left and back sides creating a corner to help balance the yard. You could get some portable ones such as these in the photo to try?
    4-Panel Bronzed Metal Privacy Screen - 23"x42" · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    The gazebo makes me feel like I should be renewing my wedding vows under it! Any suggestions on how to make it less of a "structure"?
  • 13 years ago
    Can you install some soft sheers? Or would that be more wedding like to you?
  • 13 years ago
    That's an idea although I'd have to buy rods, curtains, etc as they did not come with the gazebo...I think what bothers me the most about the gazebo are the thick legs it stands on...we got thus gazebo from Costco but I am debating returning it and buying something with skinner legs or a pergola....What do you think?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I think you do not love it, and are trying to hard to like it. If you have the option to return, I would. I would go for something more like the 1st picture mforr posted, in a dark wood. I went through several gazebo type things before I gave up and had an actual portico built onto the house, so I know how you are feeling:)
  • 13 years ago
    carla, I think you are just seeing the emptiness of it. As someone suggested, adding some low plants around it, a path to it as well as some furniture inside to sit on will make it feel less like something plunked into your yard. We got a gazebo shaped like yours this summer and you would be surprised how "furnishing" it will change the look. I would try that before returning it.
  • 13 years ago
    What do you think of resin furniture? http://houzz.com/photos/402390
  • 13 years ago
    Is that the style you're going for? Definite modern edge, I like these all weather versions of rattan and wicker, they're great looking and last a very long time.
    Thinking that you might really want a pergola not a gazebo. You don't have to pay for a custom built wood one, they have a lot at places like target and lowes if you are in the States. Here are some made of lightweight aluminum or resin that weather well and are sort of easy to put together.
  • 13 years ago
    More
  • 13 years ago
    One more