Software
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Empty clothes hanger storage?

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I’ve had them in a laundry basket in the corner of my closet. That takes up a lot of space, plus they always seem to end up in a tangle, hooking each other. I don’t want to just hang the empties on the rods, as I need room to slide.


I’ve seen the kind that stores use, where you drop them on and they stack vertically, but I have several different kinds and sizes. The molded plastic ones, padded ones, flocked ones for things that tend to slip off, plus the kind with clips for pants or skirts.


There must be a better way. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments (17)

  • 8 years ago

    This drives me nuts too! I can't store them in a basket because untangling them makes all sorts of expletives fly out of my mouth :)

    It occurred to me, while reading this, that a valet rod in your closet, if you have a little extra wall space, may be a more efficient way to store them. Or, an extra low rod that is close to the ground ?? Hmmmm???

    linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    I thought I had a brainstorm last night. I would install a curtain spring rod from front to back (the shortest dimension of the reach-in closet) and hang them from there. Then I realized the shelves got in the way and it would have to be right under the ceiling. And I would need a step stool to reach up and get one, or put one back. :( likelihood of my putting it back then: not good. And putting the springrod low, under the clothes, on the "blind" end of the closet, would get in the way of hauling out suitcases, which are needed often.


    I have space high up on one inside wall for a hook or similar device. I need like a big "L" shaped thing.


    For the rest I will have to devise something that stands on the floor. I went through all the shoeboxes, etc, last night, cardboard and plastic. None are long enough. I need something for 12", 14" and 17" hangers.

  • 8 years ago

    I just leave mine on the rod with the clothes usually between the pants and shirts. That is where I stand to hang my clothes.

    linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked luvncannin
  • 8 years ago

    I don't have room to keep them on the rod. I want the clothes to slide freely. My friend google showed me some home made ones. I was really hoping not to have to make them, though. :(

  • 8 years ago

    Do you have space in the laundry room to put up a rod to hang them?

    linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked terezosa / terriks
  • PRO
    linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 8 years ago

    artistsharonva, I ordered one like in the first photo. It just arrived. It's made so you can screw it on the wall, too. Not sure how I'll use it yet, nor have I tested it to see if it will fit all the styles of tubular hangers I have. Most of mine have that recessed area on the shoulder, to fit straps. Those 2 photos are the only styles I found online: perhaps those are the most common hangers...? And perhaps those hangers have the most uniform design among hangers.


    terriks, no room in the laundry room, which is also the pantry and the mudroom. Wish it was 3 times the size! Too far from the bedroom, as well.



  • 8 years ago

    I gave many of my hangers to my daughter yesterday! :) My having so many extras was partly due to my doing a major clear-out, but partly due to finding many under the lowest hanging rod. Seems like I bought hangers, thinking I was out, where as they were just hidden. Since I don't have room on the rods, I would like a more organized way to retrieve them.

  • 8 years ago

    I have one of those L-shaped thingies! I'll try to find it.


    I mounted mine on the INSIDE of the door frame, well above the rod, so that it sticks out into the closet, above the clothes themselves, taking advantage of that space just above the shoulders of the clothes.

    One thing I like about this solution is that I have lots of different styles of hangers, and they will all fit.

    My biggest reason for getting this was so that the empty hangers would be all in one place, when I took the clothes off them.


    Here is the one I have. I never fold it up, though.

    https://www.containerstore.com/s/closet/hangers/hanger-accessories/white-wall-hanger-holder/123d?productId=10025748&country=US&currency=USD&utm_source=tcscompshop&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=google&cid=cse:PLA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Y-k3qPO2AIVgksNCh3MkAosEAQYBCABEgLIBfD_BwE

    linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked talley_sue_nyc
  • 8 years ago

    I have a rod over our clothes dryer where I keep all my empty hangers. Easy access so I can hang clothes that come right out of the dryer, which equals less ironing. Win-win.

    linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked maddielee
  • 8 years ago

    Show us a picture of your laundry room ... there's gotta be a place you can use.

    The laundry room, so you can hang clothing as it comes out of the dryer, makes more sense than a closet.

    linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked User
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Just saw this idea.

    linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked mdln
  • 8 years ago

    is it 10 or 20 hangers? How about stacking them and just rubberbanding each end. They will not be tangled then. Maybe not the most practical way but you can lay them in the bottom of the closet, for example.

    linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked bleusblue2
  • 8 years ago

    I just noticed how my SO has his empties. When everything is laundered and hanging, there are no empty hangars. When he removes a shirt, the hangar goes to one end of the bar. And when he is doing laundry, he grabs the empty hangars from that end.

    There is room to slide because an empty hangar is skinnier than a full one.

    linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked User
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Mdln. That's a great idea. Im going to do this. Thanks!

    linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 8 years ago

    My rod has connectors every 10" or so, so no sliding very far. It's an annoying rod, but more trouble than it's worth to replace. My lower, shirt hanger has no rod at all. It's a Rubbermaid wire shelf we bought by mistake, failing to notice that the ones to hang clothes had an integrated rod. So each hanger has to go in the space between each wire.


    I have no free wall space, but just hung a towel bar right above the door frame. I will put the odd types of hangers there. Besides the commercial tubular hanger holder I already bought, I made 2 fitted cardboard boxes for the pants hangers. I will buy some colored contact paper to dress them up a bit, and coordinate with the fabric bins I bought.