traceye256

Starting anew in a new country

TraceyE

So here I am with my house sold ready to move countries I have a short time to sort out what I'm taking and what I am leaving behind.....while I plan from a distance my new house :)

Comments (6.5K)

• Linda
    last year
    last modified: last year

Here it is...

TraceyE thanked Linda
  • glschisler

Oops! The pictures didn’t post...

Country Clutter to Country Chic

I am to go the more uncluttered look, too. Your remodel is so inspirational. Such a calm and inviting room. Just lovely!

How do I create a french country kitchen without starting from scratch?

ok panic time...i have painters coming next week. i am going with a bright green in the kitchen, but think the heart of palm has a little too much yellow in it. i m going to try to keep the existing green in the breakfast area and do a lighter, brighter green in the kitchen. the kitchen is small with very little wall space. the breakfast area walls don't touch the kitchen walls (if that makes sense) wha cha think?

Need help!! New house =fresh start!

Without standing right there in the space, it's hard to say, but my thinking is that you already have the darker FP (even though it is temporary), and the window is quite striking in its own right. So, if you did the window wall darker, you will probably end up with competing focal points. In other words, I would paint all the walls the same color, and keep that darker color on the FP. It is very pretty, btw, and so is the art - great choice! Another thing you could do so that the choice of wall color becomes part of an overall color scheme is to buy sofa pillows in various blue patterns. Then you have introduced a blue/brown color scheme. Even though your walls will technically be grey, in such a large amount the undertone will be more obvious. So, you will notice that some of the walls appear more blue than grey, depending on light exposure, etc. Please, please post results once you have painted - it will be a lot of fun to see the results!

Help!! Just got a new house and need to get rid of the country theme!!

I usually agree with the "don't rush" type of advice, but here what you're reacting to is the dated yellow oak -- there are lots of posts here every day looking to update the same thing. It will be easiest to update before you move. This would be my advice: 1) get stair railings stained dark. (leave spindles and steps themselves as is) 2) get kitchen cabinets painted -- probably a medium gray would radically modernize while still fitting with your furniture and the feel of the house -- pick the tone to harmonize with the counter stone. complement the paint job with nice modern pulls in a brushed nickel (or oil-rubbed bronze if you lean that way). 3) unless you live someplace steamy, replace the living room ceiling fan with a nice hanging light with a modern feel -- perhaps a transitional chandelier, sleek to glitzy depending on your style. I think these three changes will make a *huge* difference to the feel of the place. At a slower pace you can think about new window treatments, maybe a more modern front door, or who knows what else. (am guessing that with all your pale furniture you'll need some color via rug and accents too, but no rush there.) Good luck. Neat house!
  • printesa

Tracey, your garden is beautiful! love those planters.

• Depo

I love the way your garden has come together, Tracey! Soooooo beautiful!

• ladma

Tracey, your garden looks amazing! It came together beautifully.

Flo Mangan

Your garden looks fantastic. I am totally impressed and know this took a lot of work. Well done. Been wondering how your Mum is doing? And daughter? You surely can be proud of everything you have done.

• TraceyE

Hi Gls, wow Fundy Bay sounds incredible, that is a huge tidal difference! Thank you for the pics :) I am enjoying traveling with you!

I am very happy with the planters and getting the last garden planted up.

Hi Printesa, Depo, Ladma and Flo- thank you :) I am feeling the effort of yesterday’s work this morning haha but very contented. I love looking out at the garden.

Flo Mum is doing very well, I did try and get her to come to the wedding in Thursday, but she was not keen on the travel time and in hindsight it woukd have been a difficult venue for her to navigate. Instead we took her a glass of sparkling wine and recorded her toasting the bride and groom. I have bought a mindfulness coloring book and pens and pencils for Mum firvwhen she feels creative. A recent visit to an aged specialist has confirmed Mums symptoms are under the umbrella of dementia and the cause is Alzheimer’s disease- they have also found she has had a small stroke in the past. if Mum hadn’t already been in care the suggestion would be that we would need to start looking at arranging for her to be. I am very glad Mum was able to make that decision for herself, she really does love the home and nurses -most importantly she feels safe and well cared for. We visit every evening and have been taking up flowers from the garden- Mum greets us with surprise and delight every visit and doesn’t remember our previous visits. I’m happy as long as she is :)

ED is doing fine, she has now lost 50kg in weight and is at the gym 5days a week. She is hoping to hear from a potential part-tine job soon and we have our fingers crossed that her application to join a PGCE course is accepted then she will be able to teach here.

YD is in sporadic contact (when she gets internet service) and is organizing accommodation, and a part time job. Hopefully she will be able to tie up her loose ends and will be back soon :)

Wishing everyone a happy day

Flo Mangan

Thanks for the update. Just seems things are all working themselves out very nicely. Praying everyone is safe and as happy as life allows!

• glschisler

Yes, thank you for the update :) You are doing with your mom what I had just done with my mom for 6 1/2 years. The amazing thing was she never, ever complained. And she too loved her flowers. We made sure she always had a lovely bouquet. Several of my siblings also have nice gardens, and then during the winter, we just got her store bought bouquets. Those usually lasted 7-10 days too. Enjoy your new job!

• glschisler

Today OH & I met up with Licksch in Halifax. She and her neighbor picked us up at the ship and gave us a tour of the area, then we went to a Day Lilly garden, lunch and to Licksch ‘s home. It is as lovely as her pictures. :) I had my first lobster for lunch. Quite the experience! :)

• glschisler

Here are some of the daylillies...

• glschisler

Today we are in Sydney Nova Scotia, settled by the Scottish immigrants, and they say more Gaelic is spoken here than in Scotland.

• liasch

Thought you would like to see a couple of daylily shots from my garden, Tracy. If you can grow daylilies I encourage you to do so. There’s so many options. The rose red single bloom is my recent acquisition.

• glschisler

Today we are in Quebec. Yesterday we toured in the pouring rain. We went to the falls, and a maple syrup farm. I love the architecture here. Tomorrow morning we fly to Newark New Jersey, then to Houston Texas to finally fly to Pensacola Florida to drive home one hour to Orange Beach Alabama. It will be a long day. ;)

• printesa

Enjoy the area. It's a beautiful area.

• TraceyE

Wow fabulous pics Gls what a wonder trip! Good luck for the days travel tomorrow :)

• TraceyE

Licksch, the day lilies look fantastic! i will check them out!

• TraceyE

It’s been a long week- but I have mastered the bus! I’ve been quite tired so haven’t gotten to the gym this week- I think I need to tweak my schedule- haha! Good news is ED got into the course she wanted at Queens University yay- I’m so proud of her. Because we haven’t lived here 3 years her fees at 4 x what we expected - so annoying but it is definitely something she wants to do!

• glschisler

Oh Tracey, I am so happy for ED! Yes the fees are a bite, but it is better than waiting another couple of years. When does the course begin? It is nice that you can take the bus rather than your car too. :)

• printesa

they require 3 years? that is crazy..In the states, it depends from state to state. In Oregon, after 90 days I was considered in-state. Here, you need to live for one year to be considered in-state

• TraceyE

Thank you Gls :) the course starts in September- we are checking out every financial option -she definitely want to accept the place there are only 30 spots and usually the selectors need you to apply a year before- so EDs application was very late and they interviewed her shortly after she applied and she got her offer. We are trying to get an exception of the 3 year residency- but they appear to be very firm on that one.

Hi Printesa- I definitely like the States residency option!

• glschisler

Well we got up at 4 a.m. this morning to go to the Quebec airport. As we arrived at 5:30 the sign started flashing our flight was canceled! United Airlines people didn’t arrive until 6:15 to deal with us. Grrrrr! I called the hotel we just left to rebook. We paid $144for last night and they wanted $225 for tonight. I said no thanks. Then I went to hotel.com where I normally go to book lodging. I booked it for $160. :)) As we walked back into the hotel the receptionist saw us & smiled. We told her our flight was canceled and we need to stay. She laughed and said at least you are back for breakfast!

• printesa

gls, did they tell you why it was cancelled? There is no bad weather these days

• glschisler

Printesa, supposedly it was a storm last night in Newark and they canceled that flight that was to make the return flight this morning. Grrrrr...I hope it doesn’t rain here tomorrow morning. We have spent 2 nights here because of booking problems. Several cruisers booked the bus to Montreal to catch flights. Now we know why. Live and learn. This is a very small airport for the number of flights. The facility itself is large & nice. Just low volume. :(

• printesa

hmm..strange..they didn't say anything on tv about that..There is no rain for a couple of days so there should not be any delays anymore

Quebec airport is small..never used it, but I know it's small. The Mtl one is large..been there several times (lived for a year in Mtl). I hope you at least enjoyed some of the time there.

• liasch

Hmm... depending on your financial situation she might want to just take a few courses in the program while you wait for your residency, rather than enrol for a full-time degree program and come out with a big debt load. Depends on whether or not she needs to borrow money.

Also it depends on how difficult it is to get into the program.

You’ve been there a year and a half, right? So she would just have a year and a half to wait. It might be worth it financially.

Here are a couple more daylilies from my garden to brighten up your day. I love going out each morning and seeing what has opened up.

• TraceyE

Beautiful blooms Licksch, I definitely would be checking each day!

As for the course -it’s been tough thinking through this. ED has negotiated a discount and the university are hunting for scholarships for her. Hopefully we will get good news about some extra funding.

There are some very funny rules here. The course is 1 Year- and only 30 places- if she defers her offer - the offer remains at the international rate because that was what she was accepted on. If she reapplies she will still be about 100 days short as they take the years as at Sept. so she would have to wait another year.

Although it might be painful on my pocket it will also get her the qualification she needs so she can start working Sept 2020. ED is looking for part time work to help towards the cost as she also doesn’t qualify for any loans but is adamant she will paid me back- I know she will as well.

There have been so many changes and nearly every changes had been a positive and happy one- so we might just have to bite the bullet here and go with it :)

• glschisler

Yes Tracey, if you can help her now, the sooner she can work full time the faster she can pay back. :) Wishing her well. :)

• TraceyE

Thank you Gls :)

I am happy it’s Friday- it’s been a long week one way or another. I’m hitting the ground running at work and have been meeting the board members, chief execs and others during the week trying to remember theirs names and organizations has been an effort :)

the bus ride then walk into Belfast has been great I’m getting so much better at knowing where I am and how to get to where I want to go. I give myself half an hour investigating time before I go to work. Yesterday I stopped at the Belfast City Hall - spending time in he gardens was so beautiful- they have a memorial to the sinking of the Titanic

I was surprised it was open early so I have a quick look inside

I am planning on coming back and exploring more it is fabulous inside!

Flo Mangan

Wow! That looks amazing. You have been on my mind so was happy to see your beautiful day lilies. So pretty. I sure feel your stress with everything you have going on. This too shall pass as my Mom used to tell me. I also have been thinking about Marco! anyone hear from him? Wondering if they moved? Hoping he is ok. I really miss his genius talent, ideas and artistic approach to everything he does. Praying he is safe. Enjoy your day. Look forward to more daylilies as they pop open their little faves!

• glschisler

That is beautiful Tracey! When we were in Halifax, Licksch and her neighbor drove us pass a cemetery that had 120 victims of the Titanic. We didn’t realize/know that they had been able to retrieve some of the victims bodies.

• liasch

That certainly is a lot of red tape as far as your daughter goes. I think you are right, if you can manage it financially you will just have to squeeze by. At least you’re working and it’s a relatively short course. Aka not a four year degree program. Good luck with the scholarship and extra funding applications!

Also great that she was accepted... and once your family gets residential status the competition may be tougher. I don’t know if the international status helps, but It might.

The titanic museum looks amazing; is that a replica of the grand staircase?

It’s continuing to be sunny, fairly warm, and no rain in the forecast. Maybe at the end of next week… I am hopeful. I’ve been working on adding some more gardens outside here… Just what I need LOL.

• glschisler

Hi Tracey! Has your daughter heard back from the school that she is excepted and can begin?

• zazfuzzroc

Hello Tracey, I don't comment,... but I read here and there...you haven't been on much recently, I hope everything is okay. Best wishes to you and your family.

• TraceyE

Hi Gls- thank you for asking - I’m sorry we have been absolutely manically busy- it was a big yes ED got into Queens University and started her course this week - she is finding it exciting and challenging and I love to see her so excited with so many plans and idea. She is also teaching an after school science programme which is brilliant as well

• TraceyE

Ok looking back I see a number of my posts aren’t there any more?!?!

• TraceyE

Hi Zaz, thank you for asking -yes we are all good- it’s been crazy busy in my house! :)

• TraceyE

Well I’m in Glasgow today- I’ve been at a conference and am waiting at the airport gate looking forward to getting home to Belfast - all work unfortunately so no fab photos sorry :)

Flo Mangan

Good to hear from you! Safe travels and I'll bet you will be so glad to be home and in your own bed!

• zazfuzzroc

Hi Tracey, You're welcome... good to hear everyone is well. I'm sure all the busy is exciting things happening... enjoy!

• glschisler

Hi Tracey! I am glad everything is working out ok for ED! And that she gets to teach too! I hope your flight home was good too :) I Understand that you and your family are quite busy now.

• TraceyE

Thank you guys :) I flew home on a very small plane and really enjoyed it but not as much as getting back to my own bed!

I am finding work keeps me very busy- so much to learn and so much to try and achieve. Disappointingly I am not getting the time I used to have to play on Houzz :)

I will be taking a break for a while to focus on work.

Thank you all for being such great houzz buddies I wish health and happiness and of course lots of amazing design adventures. I have enjoyed you company on my adventure xx

• Depo

Will miss you Tracey and think of you often! Best wishes to you and your family.

• ladma

Tracey, best of luck to both you and ED in your new adventures.

• liasch

You are now well settled, with the job, new house and new life! We were happy to be a cheering section for you… Check back in sometime if you get a chance. We will be wishing you the very best.

• mamabear2014

Thanks for letting us share your adventure, Tracey! Best of luck with the new job. Well wishes for your girls and Mum.

• samoken

I (we) have appreciated you sharing your journey with us and wish you the best of luck in the future. Please know we want happiness and continued success for you and your loved ones in the future. I have been a lurker on your site from the very beginning and have always appreciated what you added to this forum.

Flo Mangan

I hope you keep amazing yourself and all you cross paths with! But do stop in every once in a while yo update us and share the development of your home and garden. Best to you and all your loved ones!!

• glschisler

Yes, wising you all nothing but the best! :)

• liasch

Hi Tracey... just wondering how you are doing in the middle of the pandemic and hoping everybody is OK… You and your family and your mom! I’m sure your gardens are looking good… Take care.

• hooked123

Following