0
Find the right pro for your project

Starting anew in a new country

TraceyE
last modified: January 4, 2018

So here I am with my house sold ready to move countries I have a short time to sort out what I'm taking and what I am leaving behind.....while I plan from a distance my new house :)

Comments (4.8K)
  • K

Wow, Tracey. Looks like so much progress has been made with the base of the decking! You'll be sitting outside on your deck enjoying a poinsettia or 2 before you know it! You may have to bundle up, though. Lol

Love the lights :-)

TraceyE thanked K
  • TraceyE

Hi Zaz, I agree I think once this work is done and summer rolls around again this area is going to be so wonderful to be :)

Hi Printesa, the guys are moving very well- I am very pleased with progress!

Hi Karen, I think christening the new deck with a poinsettia or two would be very cool!

I am really amazed- the guys have rigged up lighting so they can keep working!

• K

Such hard work and dedication, Tracey! Your guys are truly amazing :-)

TraceyE thanked K
  • TraceyE

They are really good! I am so impressed.

They come in early so ED made them bacon and egg sandwiches today and at lunch time they had her homemade butternut and bacon soup....they have asked to move into the studio haha

• zazfuzzroc

I have never witnessed that... I'm impressed, and glad you are reaping the rewards of their hard work and dedication. :)

TraceyE thanked zazfuzzroc
  • zazfuzzroc

LOL If ED keeps cooking like that... I may join the workers... :)

TraceyE thanked zazfuzzroc
  • TraceyE

I have filled in a few more gaps on my tree :) the branches are nearly groaning

• zazfuzzroc

Those are so pretty... and I spy the mittens, they're so cute.... my favorite. :)

TraceyE thanked zazfuzzroc
  • TraceyE

ED would cook up a storm if you came over :) I don’t get to play in my kitchen very often, I’m sure I’m going to forget how to cook!

I‘m glad you like the new decorations :) and I agree the mittens are very cute- they were the hardest to find but worth the search :)

• printesa

Tracey, your tree is beautiful. I didn't think you could make it better than it already was.

I'm super impressed with your workers there..really, I don't think I've seen anyone other than the guy who did our basement so dedicated to their work. I'm happy for you

TraceyE thanked printesa
  • TraceyE

Aww thank you Printesa, I have really enjoyed getting this tree together :)

I am looking forward to seeing yours- your outdoor lights are very impressive!

Isnt it great having dedicated workers? The enthusiasm is contagious.

• glschisler
    Just to repeat everything the others have said, your baubles are very pretty, your tree is gorgeous, and your workers are amazing!
    TraceyE thanked glschisler
  • TraceyE

Thank you Gls :) hope all your Christmas preparation is going well :)

• glschisler
    We spent the night in our lake house for the first time last night. We have two little bird houses in the back. I’m trying to snap a picture for y’all. The red roof house has three bluebirds popping in and out of it. The little brown house has little Sparrows I believe popping in and out every time I click they disappear. We both agree that this location is a lot quieter than the beach location condo. That condo is at a busy intersection. And when the traffic dies down after 7 PM, we hear the pounding surf.
    TraceyE thanked glschisler
  • TraceyE

Gls, What a beautiful day at the lake house! Love your bird houses :)

• TraceyE

Update today- all that work under lights last night getting the under boards stained really for the decking today was ruined with lots of rain through out the night and all day today- when James and Davy arrived this morning all the stain was washed off!

Work today was slow- they are going to finish the decking over the next few days and then inject the stain when the weather improves :)

• ladma
    Tracey, that’s a shame! All that work for naught.
    TraceyE thanked ladma
  • printesa

that's a shame..I hope you get a few days without any precipitation and some sun

TraceyE thanked printesa
  • K

Oh no, Tracey. I bet James and Davy were so bummed! Hoping you get a dry period so they can finish the deck :-)

TraceyE thanked K
  • glschisler
    Oh Tracey, I know how frustrating the weather can be when trying to work outside. We are staying in our lake home another night because of the weather. The temperature needs to be over 50* to reseal the concrete walkways at the condo. The mornings have been in the 40s, so they couldn’t do the first coat until late yesterday. The second coat was done late today. But it is to rain in the morning, so we still don’t know how soon Thursday we can return to the condo. The seal must be dry to walk on it. :/
    TraceyE thanked glschisler
  • licksch
    Difficult time of year for outside work...here, you can leave wood unfinished, stain later.

That might be an option.
    TraceyE thanked licksch
  • TraceyE

The guys were not impressed :) but work continues and the decking is looking fabulous

• zazfuzzroc

Yes Tracey, it does look fab, love the dark color...

TraceyE thanked zazfuzzroc
  • zazfuzzroc

Glschisler, hope you're able to get back to the condo early today. :)

TraceyE thanked zazfuzzroc
  • TraceyE

Yes Gls hope you can get back to your condo today :)

• TraceyE

Hi Zaz, glad you like the dark decking

Work is progressing well :)

• TraceyE

Only about 7 more lengths to go :)

• K

Looks great, Tracey. I love the contrast of the dark decking. It's going to look amazing when it's done. Are you getting ready to sip on some poinsettias and hot chocolate?

TraceyE thanked K
  • marrymaid
    Hi Tracey, everything looks like it is coming together and looks good. Hoping Mom and DD are doing well.
    TraceyE thanked marrymaid
  • 2wiseguys4u

Hey Sweet one just popping in to say hello :) My like button isn't working but there should be a love button because your tree is gorgeous and your studio deck is looking great ! Say hi to Mum and darling daughters. :)

TraceyE thanked 2wiseguys4u
  • glschisler
    Decking is looking good Tracey! Yes, we got back into the condo at noon yesterday. Yay! :)) I was able to get a few chores out of the way finally.
    TraceyE thanked glschisler
  • TraceyE

Haha Karen yes a hot chocolate might be the drink of the day today it’s freezing and very wet!

• TraceyE

Hi Marrymaid, thank you :) Mum and YD are doing fine - I’m still waiting to find out when mum is complete coming home - if the care isn’t in place by the time Christmas comes I will take her out for the day to my cousins for Christmas dinner :)

• TraceyE

Hi Marco, great to hear from you :) I am loving the tree- thanks for the thumbs up. The studio decking is finished -yay!

I’m thinking an outdoor sofa set might look good

Next job will be the patio and working out the site for the fountain.

Hopefully the electrician will be in next week.

Thanks i will say Hi to Mum and DDs from you :)

• TraceyE

Hi Gls, glad you got back into your condo - know the feeling about getting chores done :s

We have a skip (to get all the rubbish tidied out of the garden) - and ED and I have the morning at throw away anything we’d like out if the house and garage - no pressure!

• printesa

The deck looks great.

TraceyE thanked printesa
  • K

The deck looks amazing, Tracey :-) Glad to hear that you will be spending Xmas with Mum and taking her to your cousin's place even if she is unable to come home.

TraceyE thanked K
  • licksch
    Wow! Santa did a great job! What a lovely part of the garden. If it were me (and it isn't) I would put move the arch along the walk to just between the last bed, and next to last.

I still like the idea of a garden "room" on that deck...and the architecture of some height right there.

However, your photo shot is from above. Things can FEEL very different on the ground, and that is what matters.
    TraceyE thanked licksch
  • TraceyE

Thank you Printesa :)

• TraceyE

Hi Karen, thanks about the deck and the good wishes :)

• TraceyE

Hi Licksch, yes Santa was very good! haha- I did take the pic from my bedroom window- it is pouring with torrential rain today but heres a pic from the garden room

I love the shape of the tree in the right hand side of the pic, and also will be planing the Juneberry near it

• TraceyE

Rain has put off work for today :( the latest plan is to take the level of the ground down so you step down one step from the pathway then the patio area will be lower and you will have one step up to the decking- I like the idea I think it gives some interest to the area.

Also I think an area has opened up for a water feature, beside the tree between the deck and the fence

• licksch
    Yup. Definitely liking the arch on the path. It breaks up the flat expanse of the yard nicely. Could even work where it is...it creates a natural horizontal line also. Given all the lines running parallel to the fence, the arch creates a nice break.

When you get your patio set up, you will know.

I WANT your back yard...hey ho, civilization...vs my untamed semi wild tangle I have here. Sigh. Oh well, one works with what one has, in gardening.

Christmas cards are done, and in envelopes...but mail to UK will likely take awhile. USA Houzzers might get them by Christmas. The strike slowed everything down for awhile.

Having said that, I mailed cookies express post to Vancouver...they got there in two days! I am so annoyed at myself for not checking the tracking. So now they have to sit, all weekend, in shipping dept. at my son's work place. Boo hoo. I had a little twinge Friday...that I should check...but did I listen to it? Grrrr. No. So he didn't get the heads up.
    TraceyE thanked licksch
  • ladma
    A water feature would be great there. I have 2 self contained ones. A small aquarium pump recycles the water. One is similar to this birdbath style, it’s packed away in the shed for the winter, so I can’t get a good picture. The other is a waterfall style, that one is in the pool area.
    TraceyE thanked ladma
  • glschisler
    The decking looks great Tracey! And a water feature is so nice and relaxing. Plus it can drown out city traffic noise.
    TraceyE thanked glschisler
  • 2wiseguys4u

Everything is looking

Supercalifragilisticexpialidociouslyfantabulouslygorgeous :)

TraceyE thanked 2wiseguys4u
  • K

Hi Tracey :-) Love you latest plan. Hope the weather cooperates with you this week, so the guys can finish up the decking. Love the idea of a water feature for the space. Nice pics, Ladma :-)

Agree with Marco that everything is looking S*%$#@#%#@&*%*@#@s!!!!

Thought I'd share this pretty holiday arrangement with you :-) Happy Sunday, everyone!

The Holidays · More Info

TraceyE thanked K
  • licksch
    Gorgeous arrangement, K...love it!

That would look good in my new little red crock...:)
  • K

Thanks, Licksch. You could probably create a similar arrangement in less than 5 minutes :-)

• zazfuzzroc

K, is that a Farmgirl arrangement? Looks just like it... :) Beautiful ... :)

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)