Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charleehall14

copper kitchen sink

Charlee Hall
6 years ago

I am thinking of a copper sink for my kitchen. My floor tile has a lot of grey and brownish colors and Granite has all of those with a little black hints. What do you think

Comments (15)

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I think you forgot to include the pictures of your kitchen! :-) Grays vary a lot, and we need to see what your kitchen looks like. Warm metals like copper can look good with other warm tones. It's not as successful with the colder tones. Post your pics.

Charlee Hall thanked User
  • Charlee Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry about not including the pics.. First time on here and didn't realize you could attach until after I posted and then saw where others had included the pics. Thanks for calling that to my attention!!!

The cabinets are Schuller color, Cappuccino... The bottom pic is the same granite as the first pic with the flooring.

• Charlee Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Charlee Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just asked that question to my husband this morning about the turning of color. Thanks for your input!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I see nothing that would make me choose a copper sink . I too love copper as ametal but in a space where it makes sense and for sure not for a sink.

Charlee Hall thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Agreed. Not feeling the copper. I was going to ask why you had chosen it, but the others pointed out more valid points. Go for stainless or solid surface. Make sure you're taking a sample to compare with the granite. We really need to see them next to one another in the same light.

Charlee Hall thanked User
  • bemocked
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I’ll weigh in with an alternate opinion... I have had a large undermount single basin apron front copper kitchen sink for 5 years, and absolutely love it, we do not baby it at all, the way the appearance is constantly changing is the best part, for us.

A copper sink WILL change color and appearance, frequently. If that is unappealing, copper is not a good choice for you.

Wa also love our soapstone counters, and equally embrace the wear they show.

• cpaul1
    6 years ago

Don't do it,

• lisadritz
    4 years ago

I am planning to put in a coper apron front/farmhouse style coper sink. I just want to be sure to get a good one. Bemocked, what brand of copper sink did you buy?

• Helen
    4 years ago

I have a copper apron front sink and I love it. A copper sink was suggested by my designer and I loved the aesthetics but was worried about maintenance and functionality.

I researched very carefully and looked at lots of different websites with sinks and read all I could about copper in sinks. What I learned is that a high quality copper sink WITHOUT a fake factory finish is extremely low maintenance. The issue is that when a company puts the fake finish on it can wear off. My sink has no fake finish so it has what it called a living finish - it changes based on what hits the surface but then changes back to the beautiful dull brown color of a copper penny.

If you expect your sink to be shiny like new copper, then this is not for you. Similarly if you are looking at one of those dark brown sinks with a hammered finish, don't buy one. A good copper sink is for those who are happy with a lived in look - are you comfortable in old jeans and linen or do you like everything to be pristine and shiny.

My sink is from Havens Metal and I highly recommend them as Alex Havens was great to work with. My sink has an offset drain (in the rear and to the left) which is very functional. It enables me to have a garbage roll out under my sink since the garbage disposal isn't in the middle. I also can stack dishes on one side without blocking the drain.

My sink is the "ledge" type of style which means that I can fit various accessories into the ledge which effectively expands my counters and is extremely functional. I have the grid which I generally keep on the sink almost all the time. I can dry dishes; dry produce and it also acts as an extension of my relatively limited counter space. I also have the cutting board and a small ledge that holds sponges and wet cloths.

As I wrote, my is from Havens but there are so other manufacturers that also make sinks with living finishes that don't need to be babied.

Havens Copper Sinks

• The_Lane_Duo
    4 years ago

With the kitchen finishes shown here, I would not go with copper. If you love the copper, maybe instead accent with it in different areas of the kitchen. In this case, I'd choose stainless steel.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    4 years ago

Your granite is really beautiful, but I don't feel copper will complement it as you may think. You can try with copper hardware for cabinetry if you love the look, but for the sink, I would go with stainless steel or composite granite.

• PRO
    Judd Builders
    4 years ago

Our client loves, loves, loves their copper sink. They've had no regrets!

Asheville Custom HomeAsheville Custom Home by Judd Builders

• N
    4 years ago

What did you choose in the end?