Software
Houzz Logo Print
alysia_kole

Bought The Couch, Now To Add Color!

8 years ago

We just bought an amazing couch for our living room, but now we need some help picking accent colors, rug, wall color, curtains, pillows... but having the hardest time figuring out what color! We know we don't like the idea of red in the living room. All of our other furniture is black. The couch is a dark blue-ish/gray.


Help!!



Comments (11)

  • 8 years ago

    Oh, it's bulky! But I wanted a big couch. :)

    The pillow idea is great!! We tried doing this in the showroom when we bought the couch, but not being in the room made it hard to decide right there.

    My drapes are definitely too short, but it's what we could do at the time - no blinds and just moved in... I don't want to replace them until I know the color pallet of the room. Any tips on drapes would be amazing!!

    The piece on the left can't be lowered because it is covering up the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors that are on the center of the wall. Might have to get a larger picture then. That's a great idea! What's the proper height for this?

    The comment says 'small bits' should be removed from the wall. What should I put up instead?

    Full disclosure, this picture was taken as the movers were leaving, so the wall decor is leftover from how the living room was arranged before the couch. This stuff is what we had when we moved in... all we had to work with at the time.

    LOVING THIS FEEDBACK!!

  • 8 years ago
    Be prepared to paint the walls, later. Yes, you will need to move everything out to do it, but the walls and ceiling will likely require a new color once you have your rug, drapes, art and a couple of chairs.
    Go lighter with the rug. With dark furniture, a lighter rug will keep you from feeling overwhelmed by the dark. A patterned or print rug with a few (or more) colors will help you select your accent colors.
    Your "other furniture is black", so maybe you can use some of it in other rooms. The large sectional doesn't want many other pieces in the room, and probably not black.
    Let the sectional color be a minor factor in the art you choose or in the new drapery fabric, but try to include it. After all, you have based your whole decor on that one color.
    Alysia Kole thanked felizlady
  • 8 years ago

    This is the rug we have been leaning toward in our search... thoughts?

  • 8 years ago

    As ugly as they are, smoke/carbon monoxide detectors should not be covered. Moved, but not covered.

  • 8 years ago
    Why are you covering up your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors?????
  • 8 years ago

    If you can sew a straight line, you can add a contrasting band to make your curtains the right lenght.

    I'd lower the picture on the left. Remove the two on the far right, then the two remaining group picture frames will look better. I like your rug, but I think you'r be better off with a rectangle one. But I think selecting the rug is your next step, because it will help dictate the colors for pillows. Good luck and enjoy you big comfy couch!

    Alysia Kole thanked houssaon
  • 8 years ago

    Okay, how do I move them?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Great idea on sowing a contrasting color on the drapes! I think I can handle that! Thank you!

  • 8 years ago
    They make plug in combo smoke/CO detectors. Id put one in my hallway near the bedrooms, if you plan on hiding the ones on the wall. Seems like an odd place to have them anyway.

    You’re risking you and your family’s life if you cover them up for the sake of decor.
    Alysia Kole thanked Melissa Gallagher
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Sky is the limit for color. If you are going with the rug you posted though, you might want to change your curtains. Here are just a few ideas on rugs, with artwork, pillows, and accessories.