Software
Houzz Logo Print
lbivens99

Help with living room

8 years ago

I am indecisive so this does not make it any easier. I need help with deciding on a color scheme as well as wall decor. Look at all the empty walls..I would like this room to feel warm and inviting. I do have an idea to put a small cowhide rug under the table since I have a pug that sheds a lot. Also I found a reclaimed wood chair from West Elm to put in the corner. I would like to ottomans to be placed for additional seating but where do I place those?? Please HELP HELP HELP!!!!





Comments (12)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    First, work on the arrangement. I'd place the sofa, facing the fireplace.

    Then, get 2 matching chairs to flank the fireplace. I'd use a large rug to anchor the space.....not a small one. There are plenty of rugs that can disguise dog hair.

    Your color scheme will be inspired by art you choose for over the fireplace. How wide is the firebox and what is the distance from the top of the mantle to the to of the windows?

  • 8 years ago

    That is part of the dilemma I failed to mention. I tried the sofa that way but it's too long. It blocks the entry


    with no walking space to the kitchen.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Okay.....and I did not know there was a tv. What is to the right of the sofa? I would straighten the tv (never looks good like that angled in the corner) and move the sofa down to the right some.

    Can you please take a photo of the corner to the right of the sofa?


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    This is a beautiful room, and great looking fireplace. I agree with CD-R that a large rug would be nicer. Also agree about the furniture arrangement. I think a softer design would be preferable for the two matching chairs, maybe a modern wing chair? The room is very tall, so something with a bit more height might be nice.

  • 8 years ago

    You might try changing light bulbs. Looks like you are getting a very yellow cast from the lighting. Is the wall opposite the sofa the closest to accurate color? If so, you have a nice neutral that will go well with most colors. Look for art that pleases you -- colors and images in a style that reflects how you want to feel in the room. Your accent pieces can tie into those colors.

    You can try the sofa facing the FP, but the room looks like it might be a bit narrow for that. In which case the chairs would go on the side opposite the sofa and/or opposite the fireplace. Where would it make sense to have a swivel chair that could turn to change focus? What is where you were standing to take the photos -- just a wall or a door? How much space is there to that end of the room? Whatever you do, please move the chair out of the corner between the FP and sofa unless it is intended to be the timeout chair -- and even then you might put it in the far corner of the room. ;)

    Tash thanked lascatx
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    There is an inherent conflict here between the TV and the fireplace. Plus a lot of circulation to deal with. I agree that the angled TV is unsightly. If you have the budget for it, put the TV on a wall-mount bracket with a swivel arm, centered on the wall. Then you could keep the sofa centered on the large arched opening. Maybe one swivel chair to the left of the sofa and some poufs in front of the fireplace.

    Benajmin Moore Edgecomb Gray is a nice warm neutral.

  • 8 years ago

    The room is a little narrow

  • 8 years ago

    If you place your sofa facing the fireplace, is there not enough room to walk around it? Furniture can "block" a doorway if there is room to comfortably walk around it to enter the room. The reason for that placement is to avoid too many long items in a parallel line creating a bowling alley kind of effect. If the sofa stays along that wall, yes try the TV opposite the sofa and placing another chair opposite the one you already have near the fireplace. I suggest finding another chair very similar in style and size to the one you have. The chair you like, while being lovely, may be too large for the room.

    Ottomans are a great idea. They could be placed in front of the windows if you move the chair(s) to the other side of the couch.

    Color scheme - you have yellow, brown and red - so stick to those colors - you can vary the shades and possibly add small bits of forest green in the decorative items.

    How you decorate should be your personal choices, trust your judgement (the chair sofa and table you have look very good together) - just remember to have some items taller than the furniture - floor lamps, for example. The tree is cool, I would highlight that if it were mine (place it against a background that wasn't white). A fairly good size rug and pillows on the sofa will make a big impact, since your upholstery is solid (no patterns) choose what you really like in a pretty design.


    Tash thanked sonni1
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Some thoughts:

    --A rug will immediately warm up the room. I don't think an animal rug will be large enough. Get a big rug in cream, brown, and an accent color. Add pillows in the accent color.

    --Art over the fireplace depending on your taste. A natural subject works well to go with your rustic fireplace. Get a large piece.

    Sorry, but the West Elm chairs is awfully boxy for the room and doesn't play well with your sofa. If you're trying to harmonize the fireplace and sofa, a leather chair on legs in camel would work. This one's from Wayfair.

    Side tables:


    Seriously consider bookcase/media shelving across the room for the TV and another art work.It looks "off" in that corner and brings down the room. Ikea is a good source.

    Last thing: fill the fireplace with birch logs and add a basket of them on the hearth. You can get them cut to size at Wilsonevergreens,com. Even if you have a gas fireplace, a basket of logs on the hearth brings a natural element to the room.



    Tash thanked housegal200
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    How wide is your room (wall with windows and fireplace) and how wide is the sofa?

    Please try this:

    OPt 1)

    1) move tv to the large wall where the sofa is (or pretend it is there for now)

    2) move sofa to face the fireplace, but move it all the way to the left

    3) Place 2 chairs on either side of the fireplace

    OPt 2

    1) move tv to the large wall where the sofa is (or pretend it is there for now)

    2) move sofa to face the tv. It will sit on the right side of the fireplace, but face the tv. There will be some room behind it to walk.

    3) Place one chair on either side of tv

    Tash thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 8 years ago

    I will rearrange and repost

    Thanks everyone

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio