Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay_liestman41

Leave table here or use as a sofa table?

6 years ago
I want to know if this looks good here or use it as a sofa table? Also am not a very good decorator so does this look ok?

Comments (102)

• 6 years ago

Regarding the original question, for that end of the room, if someone suggested floating that desk diagonally with the chair facing toward the rest of the room I second or third it. Also a second side chair that can be pulled up to or on the opposite side of the desk for a secondary conversation area, project, dining. Furniture and placement that suggests and is ready for function, even if not used that often .

• 6 years ago
    Thanks Groveraxle. I don't paid 7 bucks for the curtains. Walmart had a whole bunch of them.
  • 6 years ago

$7 for the pair or $7 for each panel?

• 6 years ago
    For the pair. 2 panels. On sale at Walmart. Mainstrays.
  • 6 years ago

Ahhh. Great deal!

• 6 years ago

I think you are doing a great job. It is a real learning experience when you find out all these curtain rules that you never knew existed, right?

When you buy curtains you don't just buy two panels, on your size windows it looks like 4 panels would work which is $14 rather than $7. You will see that it makes a big difference on how your window looks.

• 6 years ago
    Okay guys I got a bigger size much better yes? It's not flat.
  • 6 years ago
    Updated pics... Please tell me what you think.
  • 6 years ago

Take the curtains off the rod, raise the rod, then rehang the curtains with rings and clips...

...like this:

Either steam them or iron them, then train them following these directions: https://www.blinds.com/blog/1-curtain-mistake-most-people-make/

• 6 years ago

I'm sorry, Jay, but I don't care for these curtains at all. Your first pick was much better; the color and large pattern on this set don't look nearly as good.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I much prefer the color and look of the first curtains too. I'd just add one more pair for each window so the width is fuller if you're going to close them.

I like the table behind the couch.

Your new console looks nice!

• 6 years ago

Jay, the width of the new curtains works and gives the fullness you need. The colors are neutral and work with your furnishings. I understand your being on a very tight budget and I think you’re doing very well all things considered. It would be helpful to let us know what your budget is so that we can respect that when we give advice.

• 6 years ago
    Well I spent $50 last night on drapes. if I get drape rings they're $7 per pack and I believe 7 or 10 of them are in there. so I can take these new drapes back get the other ones I had up but I don't think they had any more of them.
  • 6 years ago
    anyone have the Walmart app was wondering maybe they can go to my town in the Walmart app and look at the drapes pick out the ones you think will work better in stock and I will pick them up. I need at least 60 in with panels unless I get two 30 inch panels each and double them up. My town is Menomonie, Wi. I hate to hire somebody to come out and buy drapes and hang them up when I think I can do just fine. I'm just having a little trouble picking them out.
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Jay, I think you are a great decorator! I am also on a budget and I know how much harder it makes it... but you have a natural knack. One thing I do to save money is use a free app called Pic Collage. I take pictures of my room and then save (or screenshot) images online, and put them together to see if I like them. You can cut out images using the app so that you get a better idea if you like how something works.

I have always been interested in decorating (even as a child) and I wouldn’t say I know what I’m doing... BUT I will say that I’ve at least improved my skills by studying tons and tons of room designs, even those that aren’t my style. Are you a Pinterest user?

Someone posted a do and don’t about curtains... it comes from this site: https://fredgonsowskigardenhome.com/ He has very helpful guidelines for home deco that might be useful to you.

And on a final note... because I am always on a tight budget, I never ever ever buy anything “trendy,” if I can help it. To me, it gets really expensive to have a modern look because styles are always changing. I couldn’t afford to keep up!

• 6 years ago
    Yep I understand what your saying Alele.. I did reside the rod as high as it can go before hitting the ceiling. I'm going to buy some rings and try that. hopefully I can find the same pattern drapes over there.
  • 6 years ago

Jay, let’s start from scratch. How many windows do you have to dress and what length do you need. If you can find grommet top drapes in your budget, there will be no need for rings. Finding things on sale is great, but if you only buy enough for one window, there may not be any left for the other windows when you’re ready. If you spent $50 on that one window, that’s too much. You can do better than that. What is your budget for all of the windows? If you can’t afford to do all of them at the same time, I’d wait and save my money until I can .

• 6 years ago
    I just came back from Walmart I took the old drapes back and bought the original for $50 to cover all the windows. I bought rings for them it looks a lot better I just doubled them up on this large window here please tell me what you think.
  • 6 years ago

I think you did really well with this choice. Can you take a picture of them open too?

• 6 years ago

Those look SO much better! I like that pattern with your room.

• 6 years ago
    Sure!
  • 6 years ago
    I️ like the extra panels and think you are doing a fantastic job. I️ really like the panels hung with the clips, makes such a positive difference.
  • 6 years ago
    thank you now I'm getting somewhere I think! only problem is I have 4 clips left and that's not enough for the small window so I just turned it on the rod for now until I can go down to the store and get some more clips. here's a picture of it.
  • 6 years ago
    all I need is some more clips for the small window it's not going to be hanging on the rod Like That.
  • 6 years ago

Yes! Great work on the window coverings. Now take a few days to train your curtains--https://www.blinds.com/blog/1-curtain-mistake-most-people-make/--and they will look fabulous.

• 6 years ago
    Thank you Groveraxle!!
  • 6 years ago

Big improvement, Jay!

• 6 years ago
    In time, I will replace the boob light.
  • 6 years ago

What an amazing difference even just from the very first picture you posted to now, you're doing an awesome job! I've been following along and was really hoping you'd go back to these drapes. Hopefully you were able to make it work within your budget. Your room looks professionally designed and not at all like you were on a budget!

• 6 years ago
    Thank you Rebecca! I just need now is three more packages of rings and a curtain rod to do the other window then I'm done with the windows.
  • 6 years ago

Looks fabulous! Well done.

• 6 years ago

I'm impressed with your abilities, you're doing great. I love the drapes, your place looks so pleasant and welcoming.

• 6 years ago

Looks great!

• 6 years ago
    Thanks all!!
  • 6 years ago

The fuller panels and clip rings look good. I'd like them though even without the clips.

• 6 years ago

From what I can see, the clips bring the curtains down to the right length. They appear too short without the clips. Also the clips make them easier to open and close.

• 6 years ago
    Hey guys I just wanted to give you an update I am finished with all of the drapes here's a couple pictures!
  • 6 years ago

Looks great! And I change my opinion on the above and agree K9arlene about the rings help the drapes to be a better length.

• 6 years ago

Looks terrific!! Well done.

• 6 years ago
    So now I need some light ideas to replace these booby lights. Any ideas? That would look nice?
  • 6 years ago

Not sure I’d spend the money on replacing the booby light. It’s not horrible and it isn’t really ‘in’ the living area. What I would do is get another lampshade for your table lamp in a white smooth finish,

• 6 years ago
    That sounds like a good idea. I will look for a lamp shade! or maybe a new lamp?
  • 6 years ago
    Any idea of what type of lamp I should get?
  • 6 years ago

If you're not happy with the lamp you can replace it, but from what I can see, it's blue and seems to coordinate with the rest of your room. I would just replace the shade unless, like I said, you don't care for the lamp.

• 6 years ago
    I really didn't care for the lamp the base is green that here's what I got.
  • 6 years ago
    okay all how does this look!
  • 6 years ago
    Here's another.
  • 6 years ago

Good choice.

• 6 years ago
    Thanks! It looks allot better. it's a little smaller table though but that's okay.