Software
Houzz Logo Print
vodabach

Layout living- and bedrooms

13 years ago
I have a problem with the layout of the livingroom and the two bedrooms. Has anybody have a better idee?

Comments (21)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    What is bothering you about the layout?
  • 13 years ago
    HI -- Yes, I can see the living room is just kind of there , like it's just part of the entrance and part of the hall and you can see directly into the bathroom . I don't like that you enter the house right into the middle of the living room. Talk this over with your architect or get an architect to see how these problems can be fixed .
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Oh, and maybe add a door to the bedroom area from lounge so people using those two bedrooms can nip to the loo without being seen by people in the lounge !!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for the positive response. You've made me think again and I've changed the layout somewhat. I think it is more practical now and I've used more of the dead spaces. What do you think?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I have to be honest and say that I don't think this will work as well... If you need storage for outdoor items I would suggest you alter the first plan's laundry/ utility room to add some outdoor storage even have it accessible from the back porch - make a mini outdoor kitchen there if you liked ! But I don't think the second plan - overall - is a step in the right direction ! Sorry !
  • 13 years ago
    Is it only hte storage room in the main bedroom that bothers you? What do you think of the livingroom/2 bedrooms layout? Is this an improvement?
  • 13 years ago
    I don't think that the second floor plan is an improvement on the first one, because the bathroom is only accessible for the people in the first bedroom if they go through the lounge.
    I also think that in both floor plans you'll have a very dark living room.
    Sorry that I can't offer you a solution. Have been puzzling (will think about it some more), but... nope... no brilliant ideas from me.
  • 13 years ago
    Would it be an option to eliminate the garage and build a carport? Or build the garage out to the front halfway for instance?
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for your comments. I would go back to the drawing board!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I keep looking back at this one - I think stick with the first plan add a sliding barn door for the bedroom/ lounge door for interest maybe ?! I think the light from the windows either side of the front door will be adequate for the lounge area and change the utility/ laundry to include outdoor storage and this will be a great home !
  • 13 years ago
    Hmm... I was sort of expecting that there's a porch there and if there is, that will have an effect on the light coming through those windows.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yeah - probably Carolina ! That's why I only said adequate ! Could have roof lights / velux's in the porch to help ?!?!?!?!
  • 13 years ago
    Seems as if gave you quite a shock with the storage room in the main bedroom. I just feel that there is a "dead space in this bedroom and wondered how it could be used. If I put a mirror or something eye catching on the wall and the dresser in front of the bathroom it could work quite well. I took the second bathroom out to the side to get the wall for a TV or music centrum. There is also space for a closet now for all the blankets and stuff.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Ok - I'm adding a sketch of the bottom end ... Just an idea to keep the main middle area flooded with as much daylight as possible - have the walk in robe behind the bed to enable the dining end to be larger - add storage within the dinning room - reduce the laundry - add more floor to ceiling windows ... It's pretty much easy to see from the sketch what I mean - the top half I'd keep as per plan 1 ! What do you think ?!?!
  • 13 years ago
    To be honest..... I think you're a genius!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Feel free to review me with that comment !! Lol !! I just think it's a great space to work with !!! Are you in Holland !?! I was going to try out my Dutch on you ?!!!
  • 13 years ago
    You know the only thing that was bothering me is te 2 rooms that excit from the livingroom. No I've changed every thing except my first problem. By the way I'm from South Africa and this house is for my mother.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Well I think if you add a pocket door or a sliding barn door on that one doorway into the lounge that will be sufficient as it will mostly be guests using those three rooms - if you just don't like the doorway - try placing the tv on the garage wall and turn the furniture to look that way instead - so you don't have to look at it !! If the garage wall isn't quite long enough - lengthen it to encompass the pantry - so you walk from the garage, through the pantry, into the kitchen !!!
    My Uncle Jan lives in SA ! Beautiful country !! I think he's in Fort Beaufort or Knysna ?! Can't remember exactly ! I Do know that SA has a great amount of light - so that will help with this layout too !!!
  • 13 years ago
    I like the idea of walking through the pantry into the kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    I don't see a problem needing resolution. I MIGHT just do away with the side chairs near the front door, mock e the living room suite up (north) a bit, move the doorway to the bedroom hall up a touch to accommodate this (so you can move the TV cabinet north at the same time). All minor. It's a lovely house.