Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittany_carroll32

Feels like something’s missing...

Brittany Carroll
6 years ago
Open to suggestions! I’m decorating a dining room wall (between 2 shutters), and have already hung the two pieces shown, but can’t shake the feeling that there’s something missing. What would you add or change to complete the look? Going for a modern farmhouse style, and both items are made with galvanized metal so I’m hoping that’s a step in the right direction. Thanks in advance for your insights!

Comments (15)

• songbird07
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Do you plan to add curtains on the windows?

Also, can we see pictures of the rest of the room (All walls)?

• amykath
    6 years ago

Are you attached to those two pieces? Are you adding curtains? Other photos of the room would help a great deal!

• PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    6 years ago

Yes, a photo taken further back showing more of the room would help a lot.

• chellelayton
    6 years ago

I think these are super Cute! But too small. Try covering more of the wall with similar objects or larger versions of the current pieces.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Sorry cute is not IMO a feeling I want in a DR , clocks never belong in spaces where people gather and the whole words on the wall thing is not really decor IMHO. An actual piece of art would be better but we really do need to see the space further back and I think drapes or roman shades on the windows might be in order.

• tfitz1006
    6 years ago

I would not use those items, too cutesy in a lovely sophisticated space. Look forward to seeing more pics.

• Brittany Carroll
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I was afraid to post a photo where the signage was too small, and have included a photo of the full wall in this comment. My issue is the plantation shutters on either side of the decor - if I go bigger than this, I’m concerned that I would lose the ability to leave the shutters open if I wanted. Grateful for all of your ideas!
  • mindymoo834
    6 years ago

I would move the buffet on the left to that space with an oversized mirror resting on it together with 2 lamps or a nice piece of artwork

• rebeccamomof123
    6 years ago

I like the pieces you chose but they are too small and still don't offer enough of a background. Could you find a rustic mirror to center between the two windows then hang the windmill over the mirror with the "gather" sign along the top?

• saratogaswizzlestick
    6 years ago

You have a pretty room but those two pieces just don't work. I think a funky old piece would look great there. In a similar area I have a wall mounted antique grater. It was inexpensive but it is authentic and a conversation piece. Go to yard sale, antique stores, Salvation Army and find somethings quirky and wonderful for that space.

• deegw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

How often do you actually open the shutters all the way? Right now your decorative arrangement looks skimpy. If you beef up the arrangement with things that are more substantial and the objects occasionally get covered by the shutters, it's not a big deal.

A rug will also help ground the space, add some interest and make the space look more finished.

• Brittany Carroll
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @rebeccamomof123 - I love this! Ties the individual pieces together while adding some of the farmhouse charm I was going for. Gold star for creativity!
  • rebeccamomof123
    6 years ago

I have very similar taste, so I had a feeling I knew the look you were going for, you just needed a little inspiration! Be sure to post pictures once you put it all together! Have fun!

• Brittany Carroll
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @rebeccamomof123, you bet I will! Thanks again!!