Software
Houzz Logo Print
lindsaymwade

More shutters?

13 years ago
We just bought this newly built home and we think it needs more shutters - do you agree? thinking about dark gray shutters and a "putting green" shade front door.

Comments (13)

  • 13 years ago
    Yes, I agree that you need more shutters.
  • 13 years ago
    Same here. Shutters really make a difference. I like a red door but green could work nicely on your home.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    YES YES!!! Also include shutters on side and back of home!!!!!!!!......it will make a huge difference
  • 13 years ago
    thanks everyone! beck and gray interiors - very good thought! thanks
  • 13 years ago
    Put your money into buying some good size trees, that is what your beautiful home is missing.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes - add shutters on the double windows to the right of the front door as you face it and the double windows above the porch as well as both garage windows. You may not need them on the front porch windows but consider some hanging plants and/or rocking chairs there for visual interest and to add a sense of "home-iness". Foundation plantings will also add a great deal. Your house is lovely, you just need to give it those little touches to make it stand out. Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    I disagree that this house needs any shutters. I would take off the 1 pair that are already on the house. Shutters should only be used where they would look like they could be functional. Putting shutters on double windows where the shutter would never be able to cover the window looks fake. Your house already has pleasing proportions and a calming colour scheme. Shutters will only make it look busy. Plus once you add them and don't like them you will have screw holes if you decide to take them down. Also your siding becomes discoloured under the shutter from dirt build up.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Shutters are a lovely addition, but be mindful of the original intent of shutters and make them generous enough to
    appear to actually close over the entire window if they were functional and shut. You will be amazed at what it will do to bring your home into scale. I would not add shutters to the windows where you don't have the width.

    Peeling Bark Birch, either white brown, would be lovely in front.

    Jan Goodwin
    Jewel Box Designs
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I agree with curygirl: Adding shutters will only make the house look busy, which it already is with all of those windows and siding. Adding shutters with no functionality is also a skeuomorph and really should be avoided. (A colonial style house like this doesn't have to have them.)
    The real issue here, also pointed out by curlygirl, is the landscaping: the bare-ness you are responding to here is the lack of coherent approach and use of land at the edges of the house and leading up to it. I'd tackle the landscaping FIRST and then decide if you need to add shutters. With a few trees to counter-balance the house (I see a dark burgundy Japanese maple, for one.), and some nice shrubs in place, all creating a pleasing variety of color and texture, you'll probably be glad you avoided the shutters.
    Also, front door: Choosing a color that contrasts and adds a pop (red, blue), would be better than a dull putting green. I'd choose door color in tandem when choosing landscaping colors. Houzz has a ton of posts about "When to paint your front door ...." so look around and come up with a tri-color palette that takes into consideration the main house color, the secondary color for trim, and then choose the complementary tertiary color for the door and any other outdoor accessories.
  • 13 years ago
    I say paint front door black to match black shutter
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    When you have a home that "resembles" a certain style, does NOT make it THAT style... You are trying to warm up your look to be more inviting...
    I truly agree about the landscaping.... I assume it might be your next project ... Window boxes would also help the bareness you feel when looking at the home "head-on"
    I don't get the feel of a "period true" house....do what you can to cozy it up and achieve a warm, soft and inviting look / feel..
    Arbor above garage doors would be welcoming also
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Shutters will definitely add a bit more flare and curb appeal to your home. We agree with happyjackjane in reference to adding shutters to those specific windows. We do not think your house will look to busy if you put them on specific windows. Be sure to visit our profile for more ideas regarding shutters and the specific styles you may looking into.