Software
Houzz Logo Print
sparklybloom

How to decide on handle sizes for different kitchen cupboards?

8 years ago

I’m having my kitchen done soon and have plans drawn up with cupboards, but can’t tell what size handles I should use on each. I am using pulls on the drawers and they are sorted. The handle I like comes in 10cm, 15cm, 20cm and 25cm lengths. I assume I should use the longest length for a dishwasher? Should I then use the same length handle for the cupboard next to it, because it is the same width and the only other cupboard on that wall? Will it look wrong to have a shorter version right next to it? I really like the look of it all matching but the handles aren’t cheap. When it comes to the integrated fridge freezer, should I use the same on each even though they are split 70/30? I then have a very narrow larder cupboard next to it so symmetry is going to have to go out of the window because I will need to use a much smaller one fixed horizontally rather than vertically.


Should I try to make it so that there is the same sized gap between the ends of each handle and the ends of the doors? Does it look bad to have one horizontal and ome vertical next to each other? I’m already tearing my hair out and we haven’t even started yet.

Comments (16)

  • 8 years ago

    Do you think I could get away with a smaller handle then? I definitely can't afford the largest size handles all over. And I still have an issue with the fridge freezer and then the larder cupboard - larder cupboard will need to be the smallest size because it's so narrow. Does that open it up as an option for using elsewhere?

  • 8 years ago
    As long as the length of the handles are all the same it's entirely your choice which size you opt for. Too small and you may find difficulty placing all your fingers in the space if you do use all your fingers. Some people grab the handle with a couple.
  • 8 years ago

    I just can’t see how the same sized handle will work for a dishwasher and the larder cupboard. The dishwasher is 60cm side and will be heavy to pull down, whereas the larder cupboard is only 30cm wide.

  • 8 years ago

    I would love to have the same handles on the cupboards as I have on the drawers, but my husband says they’re too small. So we’re compromising by mixing the handles and I only get the ones I love on the drawers. Do you think that will look ok because they are different types of door? It’s kind of spoiling the look I wanted but I admit the pulls are quite small for his hands.

  • 8 years ago
    We have knobs on all cupboards & drawers inc dishwasher. Think they’re 30 mm and all fine.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Hello @sparklybloom. Mixing cup handles on drawers/dishwasher & knobs on other cupboards looks great. I’ve attached a photo of a P&P kitchen island to demonstrate which houses a dishwasher & bin with sink cupboard in the middle. More photos of this project can be seen in our profile. Good luck! P&P
  • 8 years ago

    They're not really knobs or cup handles, these are the ones I had my heart set on https://www.dowsingandreynolds.com/shop/kitchen-drawer-knobs-nouveau/

    as you can see they have a small gap underneath but are attached on at the top, so not exactly a gap all the way around which you can grip, like a knob. Taking into account that they are only 42mm wide, I think it'll make them too awkward to use on large doors. I'd be willing to deal with it but my husband is putting his foot down.

  • 8 years ago

    Any other advice? I wanted to mix those above on drawers (of which I don't have many) with the knurled skyscraper handles in the same finish on cupboard doors. I love the semi circles and really want an entire kitchen of them. Another issue is that I also have handleless cupboards in the kitchen. Only three above the hob, in white. But is mixing handles and knobs too much on top of already having different doors?

  • 8 years ago
    People do have different handles/knobs on drawers to doors. So to clarify; a pull (as in your link) on drawers and then handles in the same colour on doors. I wouldn't put 2 different 'pulls' on different items. Take a look at some images on Google to give you a good idea.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    hi sparklybloom,

    had a look at your link and the handles you have in mind, very nice! what kind of kitchen have you gone for, because your choice of handles seem to be able to go with either a classic or contemporary kitchen.

    generally for our classic style kitchens we advise clients to go for all the same sized handles in length and diameter. for pull out/runners drawers or doors we suggest a cup style handle and for a swing open door, we suggest a knob handle. seems to be the popular choice.

  • 8 years ago

    Hi, thanks for the comment. The kitchen I’ve gone for is light grey shaker on the base and tall units and then one run of horizontal Matt, white handleless units on the wall. I was going for an updated classic look, I suppose. Obviously, the upper cupboards won’t have handles anyway. I don’t like any of the knobs I’ve seen, only these semi circle pulls and the knurled handles.

  • 8 years ago
    It's probably just me but I wouldn't mix shaker with handles and handles fascias. To me it doesn't work. Two different colours maybe but not 2 different designs.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Hey Sparklybloom,

    Daisy England above has a point. We actively encourage our clients to be creative with their designs when they use us but sometimes certain styles do not match so well.

    plain matt handless door fronts on wall units will take away from the shaker theme. would you consider handless shaker door fronts on the wall units with a push to open system. this way you retain the shaker them and it becomes contemporary without the handles.

    your colour scheme is good, it is very popular now for shaker base units to be grey or blue with white wall units, it goes really nice together.

    here is one we are working on at the moment for a client, who wanted bluey grey base units with white wall units.

  • 8 years ago

    I did originally plan for shaker cupboards above with push to open mechanism, but whilst working with the designer I changed my mind. There were some issues with practicality. I also want them to be wide horizontally rather than vertically, which didn’t look right when I saw the plans. The handleless units look exactly as I want, so I’m going to go for it! However, I do have push to open shaker cupboards on the wall in another area, but it’s not a cooking or eating area. Difficult to explain. They are tall, vertical, traditional looking ones. When looking at the finished plan it looks fine because the push to open shaker style cupboards can be seen not too far from some tall shaker cupboards, whereas the handleless ones aren’t near any other tall or wall units. I’m not sure I’ve explained that very well, but the plans and walkthroughs all look good.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm going over it all in my head again now. Damn it, I thought this was something I had already dealt with and decided but now I find all the different options and reasons swirling through my mind again.