Software
Houzz Logo Print
limape

Help with seating area

13 years ago
I got these two Victor wing chairs from West Elm. We wanted a comfortable place to seat, read and have a cup of coffee. This wall is right off the kitchen. Now I don't know what to do with it. I wonder if it was a good idea. Something does not seem right. Should I paint the mirror a light color or loose it? please help!

Comments (16)

  • 13 years ago
    It does look like a good spot for a mirror, though the trim is so wide it is a bit overpowering...
    Do you have a wide painting or a set of monochrome photos that might work there? It might be worth the effort to try out different alternatives to see if they make you feel more comfortable. Alternatively, you could surround the existing mirror with drapes to match the ones on the window
  • 13 years ago
    Contemporary Living Room · More Info

    see inspiration pic
    larger table with standing lamp, print on the wall . with your 2 chairs.
    Possibly as CA-K is suggesting?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Before you spend any more money, try repositioning the chairs a bit by turning them so they are facing each other more. Remove the little table, put the ottoman between the chairs and find a dark wood tray for the ottoman Turn the mirror vertically behind the table. Not sure about the rug. The size/shape looks off.
    Jennifer Neal Design Studio · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I feel like you need a coffee table. A place to put down a breakfast dish and coffee. An informal eating area should be intimate and warm. You need a place to rest your elbows and put down the paper or you probably won't use it. I think a built in bench breakfast nook with a table might work better.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Unless the two chairs are part of a seating area that includes a sofa, I would stick with a table between the chairs and would not use a coffee table. But as I mentioned earlier, a larger round table would be a much better look for you.
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    Timore Round Mirrored Accent Table · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for all your help!! a bigger table sounds nice. Do you think the chairs are too big for the space? I wonder if I made a mistake with these chairs. I am attaching more pics.
    Should I look for a bigger area rug? or no rug?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    The chairs work. The rug is too small, but might work if you pull it under the front feet of the chairs. Of course that means it won't be centered on the French doors, if that might bother you. Do you really want the mirror to double your kitchen? I'd want it as a floor mirror where it would reflect a beautiful view or over a buffet to double the effect of a stunning chandelier.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think if you pull the chairs away from the wall by 6 to 9", and not angle them quite so much, they may be able to have their front legs on the rug. You could try a bigger rug if you can return the current one which looks very nice.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    A bigger table will make a great difference. Love the chairs!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    We definitely agree that the space needs a larger table between the chairs. Also maybe try a pretty floor lamp next to one chair, perhaps a torchiere or arc lamp, unless you would want to consider a decorative table lamp on the accent table.

    Your almost there, it looks like a cozy spot to relax, but just needs a bit more personal touches.

    Good luck!

    WeGotLites.com
  • 13 years ago
    Try putting the chairs on the rug.painting the frame a lighter color.
  • 13 years ago
    All your ideas are awesome. The table I have right now is 19" d x 24"h and we agree that the table is too small I really like the table that Carolyn suggested and that one is 21"d x 25h. Is that still small? Should I do bigger in diameter but not taller?
    Thanks for your help!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Your table looks smaller than 19" diameter but the height is fine. There's no need to go up just 2" in diameter. You're right that you need to get a table bigger than that, probably 24" diameter or more but same height, give or take an inch.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Your chairs are perfect, they just need the right table.
  • 13 years ago
    I think its that table too! Maybe a table with more visual interest to the bottom
    Of it! Same height.