Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violkafiolka

Help with Masterbedroom

violkafiolka
10 years ago
We recently refurbished our Masterbedroom but run out of ideas how to make it look cozy but contemporary. At the moment it looks really dull and I hate it! Bed and bedside tables need to stay but curtains can go.
Looking forward to your comments!

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    You have a nice beautiful neutral space here...love the window for the light! I am not sure what type of "feel" you want in your room...these are just some quick renderings so you can see how art can really anchor the room...once you choose art, you can coordinate the drapery, rugs and accessories. Please do look over my portfolios under "Paintings" and "Buy Prints" and let me know ANY pieces you want me to superimpose into your space...I am happy to do so! http://sharoncummings.wordpress.com/
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    The first image you cold g with soft blue drapes...the second would support navy blue...the third you could go with a mid tone green and the fourth...black would look really sharp!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    I would be tempted to add one bed width, floor to ceiling , stripe behind the bed in pale pink and add pale pink curtains - just to take off the cold edge !
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Or pale pink Romans !?!
  • User
    10 years ago
    I agree that you need some type of wall hangings in your rm. You do not say what your tastes are. Photography is another great way to liven up a wall. You can have it printed on canvas in a gallery wrap or regular photo paper and framed. It is very versatile because you can have one large one or a grouping of smaller ones. It can be of flowers, horses, places you have been or long to go such as St. Thomas. I awaken to I mages of St Thomas everyday. What a wonderful way to put a smile on your face. My virtual shop is on Etsy.com,nancyhehmann. Etsy has a lot other shops as well and you can get unique items there.
  • rlamo
    10 years ago
    Liven things up a bit with some bling! Change out the lamps to something with glass or add a chadelier. Change the duvet cover to white, with some texture. Add artwork above the bed, but use warm tones in it, including some warm greys to tie in the grey walls; choose a long narrow canvas, rather than square... You need curtains that come all the way to the window. I would pick more deep grey tones and something with rich texture. Go from the corners of the room all the way to the window to add luxury and continuity. Add bench under the window. It should be just a simple upholstered bench in a colour from your artwork. That's what I would suggest...
  • michigammemom
    10 years ago
    You have a nice neutral room but your bedding is looking a little tired. Take a look at coordinated linens from West Elm for matching shams, quilts and throw pillows. I like this Circles quilt in a platinum color. I totally agree that a large abstract piece of art would complete the look.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    I'm guessing ( from the building ) that this is in UK ?! So bedding from John Lewis might be closer ?!
  • violkafiolka
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    These are awsome ideas! Thank you very much for taking the time for your comments! I will consider them all! By the way, I forgot to mention that contemporary style is what I like most but I am really open to other styles.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    Contemporary Bedroom · More Info

The Library Building - Clapham · More Info

Contemporary Bedroom · More Info

The Library Building - Clapham · More Info

inspiration pics for ideas.
  • hparks74
    10 years ago
    New bedding for sure. Something in yellow, grey and white.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    OOPS one picture came through twice. I meant to post this one as well.
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Very nice, clean lines in your room. IKEA?

A different duvet, the black mirror from Ikea, one behind each lamp would be fun, then one of these great paintings suggested on the wall opposite your window. (Except the one top right…creepy looking..eyeballs or another body part :>).
    Ung Drill Mirror · More Info
  • violkafiolka
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much! I am very new to decorating - do you think I should start with a painting first and then from there decide on the colour of curtains, etc? Also, I was hoping for a vanity table with a mirror on the left wall - do you think this is a good idea?
  • PRO
    Maisons Laprise
    10 years ago
    You should start finding a fabric you like and then choose a paint color in link with it. :-) The opposite is a lot harder.
  • violkafiolka
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry, I meant shall I choose the painting/picture first and then the fabric?
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    The first thing I thought when I saw your room was how cold and institutional it seemed. I would warm it up with a taupe paint, then use aqua as an accent color for a spa-like feel. Team that with color-block drapes in beige and aqua, with crisp white sheets, and a patterned bedding. Find coordinating artwork, like in the following photo:
  • PRO
    Maisons Laprise
    10 years ago
    Oops, sorry !
    I think you should choose the fabric first (if you want a patterned fabric) and if you want a plain fabric, you could choose your paint/picture first and then choose your curtains.
    Hope it's clear !
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    Excellent advice Maisons! My home is a clean modern look...I do not have drapes....but I did choose my rugs first...then put up sentimental art (grandma and MIL both artists)....and I painted custom pieces to coordinate with my rugs which have patterns....If I was going with solid rugs, I would have painted the art first. So I agree with your reasoning here.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    @violkafiolka given the variety of fabrics readily available, I would go with art first then match the fabrics to one or two colors in the art. If you go with fabric first, you may not have a lot of choices in art to match with it. I know it sounds backwards, but if you think about it, it makes sense.
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    Helps that I can custom paint whatever I need for my home....LOL...but if you focus on the art first then drapes will be easier...as KShoa says.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    One person's opinion :)

The other way to look at it... If you're more picky about art, pick your art first, then you can choose your fabric. If you're more picky about fabric, then choose that first...
  • PRO
    Larrys Photo Art
    10 years ago
    Terracegallery had some good suggestions so I don't need to elaborate and they have some outstanding abstract art. I take more traditional fine art photography images and have included some images in the blue and green color pallet that would work well in a bedroom.
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    Beautiful work Larry! The important thing is that you find art that you love and that gives your room the feel you want...do you want soothing and relaxing or something with a hint of sexy? Cheerful? Tropical beachy? Mediterranean? If we know more...we can give better ideas. :)
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    Your closet doors are very modern...something like this would be complimentary.
  • violkafiolka
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you very much Terracegallery - I really like your work! I should have said my favourite colours - grey, red, black, white and green... I would like my bedroom to be relaxing with a luxury feel to it.
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    The suggestion above lower right would work great with your colors and it is contemporary, soft and dazzling...adding luxury drapes and bedding to this would look amazing! http://fineartamerica.com/featured/smoldering-red-abstract-modern-contemporary-art-by-sharon-cummings-sharon-cummings.html
  • Amy Stanley
    10 years ago
    I feel like your bed needs attention- pillows and layered bedding would add a softness- I love your drapes- and yes a piece of artwork behind the bed would be great- Perhaps a deeper gray and white bedding with a pop pillow in red or green depending on your art piece- do you have a preference for art style?
  • fjollpjoskan
    10 years ago
    Green is a relaxing color in the right shades, ofc. I would suggest a green accent wall! Some artwork would be nice as mentioned above. As for beddings I would suggest either a simple bedspread or "duvet covers" in a somewhat darker colour that complements the accent wall and pick up the color again in the curtains. If it is in your budget consider something in a bold pattern like marimeko. I would not go with the "american style" beddings with loads of pillows, sheets and blankets in this space. Where to put all the extra stuff when sleeping etc.
  • violkafiolka
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you very much for your amazing comments. I will take them on board and hopefully end up with a nice bedroom :)