Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gpolcha1991

Kraftmaid Vantage vs Waypoint cabinets

Heidi Geniviva
6 years ago

I am remodeling my kitchen and have narrowed my selection down to kraftmaid vantage or waypoint. Both are full plywood with soft close doors. Do you have an opinion as to which one is the better choice? Any info is much appreciated.

Comments (24)

• User
    6 years ago

Neither. Move up the food chain. Buzzwords isn’t quality.

• bobkook
    6 years ago

Sophie, I've seen you trash Kraftmaid more than once, but with no explanation. I am no cabinet expert but have done a little homework, and the Kraftmaid cabinets seem good to me. I hope to not make a mistake, so I (and likely others reading this thread) would love to hear your thoughts behind your comments. Thanks in advance...

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    6 years ago

I put Kraftmaid cabinets in our basement kitchenette. I think they are now about 10 years old. They have held up very well, but this is a secondary kitchen that sees occasional use. The drawers still glide nicely, doors shut evenly and quietly. Having said that, I’ve been researching cabinets for the new(to us) cabin that we are going to update and am finding better options for not much more money.

I would love to know which brands Sophie would suggest that are rung or two up the food chain.

• hjk73
    6 years ago

Sophie, I’d also be interested in finding out what you consider better than KraftMaid for the price. You seem ok with ikea (for the price), but only if you assemble and install yourself. Whats a value buyer to do?

• P McG
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Here it is 24 months later and I too would like for you Sophie Wheeler to please give us a reason behind your response about Kraftmaid cabinets. Which cabinets did everyone end up purchasing and what do you think? Thanks!

• darbuka
    4 years ago

Unfortunately, Sophie has been banned from this forum, so you won’t get an answer to your question. Yes, Sophie could be snarky, and because some people have very thin skin, we’ve lost a valuable resource.

• nycbluedevil_gw
    4 years ago

What do people think of Waypoint? I have heard that is a lower down on the price/ quality chain. Someone is steering my sister towards that (or Fabuwood) for her kitchen, but I am skeptical

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Waypoint is a limited entry level product, with some issues with their painted finishes. . KM Vantage is a good quality mid grade line and had many potential options.

• Heidi Geniviva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We ended up putting JD Henry Heartland cabinets in our kitchen and Kraftmaid in our master bath. The JD Henry cabinets are awesome! The Kraftmaid finish is already starting to peel. Both are white. The difference is night and day.

• P McG
    4 years ago

I've never heard of RD Henry before but will look into them. Right now I've ruled out Waypoint and was considering between KM (upgraded to wood boxes) and Forever Mark Ice White Shaker (they're an RTA cabinet that come standard with wood boxes). I have to get my decision made because we hope to have everything ready for the remodel so we can head south by the middle of February. My concern is the paint on the KM and I will also be putting cabinets in our bathrooms.

• User
    4 years ago

You’re comparing a great American made semi custom line with stock Chinese junk? What’s wrong with this picture? KM is more than double the quality. It has thousands more options too. Not hundreds. Thousands. Better everything. Including better furniture board that’s way better than bad plywood. Don’t let idiotic wood prejudice place that beam in your eye when you’re searching for the mote in others.

• P McG
    4 years ago

@Wayne Emerson I'm probably going with KM although mine won't be the vantage they'll be from HD. I just hope there won't be any problems with them arriving damaged or any long term problems with the paint. Good luck to you.

• Wayne Emerson
    4 years ago

It may save you quite a bit of money to go to a Kraftmaid dealer vs Home Depot or Lowes and get the vantage and upgrade to a full wood box vs MDF. The difference for us was close to 5K going with the dealer. We are getting a lot of cabinets and options for our space. Good Luck it could be time well spent. If you are in Ohio there are several very competitive dealers.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    4 years ago

I'm a KM dealer in Ohio and beat box store prices quite often. Right now KM is having another big sale like they did in late 2019. Sale goes til March 2 I think.

• gnujko
    4 years ago

Wayne Emerson, I am also in Ohio and looking at Kraftmaid cabinets. Could you give me the names of these competitive dealers? I am in the Cleveland area. Thanks!

• Wayne Emerson
    4 years ago

Hi gnujko. I am on the east side of Cleveland (Mayfield) . If you want to save a lot of time see Julie Kozy at Lumberjacks in Akron. They also were lower on Cambria countertops than the others places I visited and had quotes from . https://www.lumberjacks.com/ . She is there on alternate Saturdays. Great to work with - we are doing Kraftmaid ColorMatch (We pick the color - KM matches it ) and they have been most helpful. Note that the rock bottom prices are at the KM store near Youngstown but that works only if you have a significant amount of flexibility, time and patience. Here's some links on that... https://celebrateeverydaywithme.com/kraftmaid-outlet/ . https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kraftmaid-Outlet/157382037638468. http://tinascucina.blogspot.com/2013/07/kraftmaid-outlet-warren-ohio.html . Also I know a great company to do the work if you need a contractor. Good Luck!

• P McG
    4 years ago

@The Kitchen Place how do I find a "dealer" in Missouri? I'm currently working with a pro desk person at a HD considering KM cabinets. I'm only looking at all plywood boxes.
    Thanks

• Wayne Emerson
    4 years ago

KM website has a dealer locator. Plenty in your state . https://www.kraftmaid.com/find-a-retailer/

filter by zip code and click on the local dealer box . - good luck

• P McG
    4 years ago

@Wayne Emerson I did and have a couple places to contact tomorrow. Except one is also a contractor and I have my contractor already. I'm hoping they will sell the cabinets w/o doing the install. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I call. Thanks for the tip!

• Dee Sunshine
    2 years ago

Where can I find a KMV dealer and installer on Long Island, NY
    Thanks

• layla_soliman
    2 years ago

I am in Charlotte, NC. Very nervously trying to pick out cabinets. Around here it seems like the contractor you pick determines your cabinet choices. The contractor I like best so far has recommended Legacy Presidential line. Any word on their quality? I love the waypoint colors but the quality issues I hear about on forums like this have scared me. I don’t like the legacy wood stain options as much, but if it’s higher quality it’s worth it. The same contractor can also do custom stuff but I am sure that’s crazy expensive. Hubby doesn’t like white cabinets so it’s down to espresso or charcoal stain with a contrasting cream color hood and probably a cream island (still struggling with whether to do a contrasting island as well).

Sorry for the long post. I will take any help I can get.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

Legacy is a lower end line...Presidential series is their super beefed up construction option, if I remember correctly. I used to sell Legacy years ago. The contractor works for you...is it in his contract that HE supplies the cabinets?? On one hand, I can understand why some contractors pick certain dealers to work with. They work well with them, trust them to get the order right....etc. Delays can cost a contractor a lot of $$$$. On the other hand, contractors need to find a good, better and best cabinet line options or they are limiting their clients on cabinet choices. You should tell him that at a minimum you want a semi-custom line. Semi-custom lines have better finishes. Legacy is a lower end line with several box construction options (ie Presidential). I wouldn't use that line...unless you are on a budget. But my guess is, presidential and semi-custom wouldn't be that far apart in price.

My only other advice is on the espresso finish. It became popular about 10-15 years ago when Starbucks stores remodeled with all espresso finishes....to complement their 'coffee theme'. That style is now hugely dated. Consider another stain. If you want something more timeless, go with a medium brown....not too red or yellow. I've not seen the Legacy charcoal but assuming its a dark gray? or almost black? The gray trend is also starting to slide. But if you love it....go for it. It's your house.

• layla_soliman
    2 years ago

Thank you so much! I just saw this response. It’s hugely helpful because I decided to give myself more time to decide. Yes, getting the cabinets from the contractor is in these guys’ contracts in this area. We are on a budget but I can’t find a stain that I love, and hubby doesn’t like white cabinets. So we may stretch it and go custom. Very grateful again!