Software
Houzz Logo Print
debodun

Original Watercolor and Shaker Bookcase

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I did find info on the artist who painted this watercolor entitled "Cove on Green River" by Charles A. Hulbert. A woman saw this in my house and wanted to buy it, along with what she identified as a Shaker bookcase. I quickly said $100 for both (this is before I researched), but she offered $25 for both items. I still have them. Was too quick to refuse her low-ball offer. Here is the painting and the bookcase, Opinions?



Comments (10)

  • 8 years ago

    Well, $25 for both is certainly too cheap.

    I think I'd take that painting and get it rematted--perhaps a blue mat?--and hang it up. I'd like it quite a bit without so much pink.

    That is all I know! :)

  • 8 years ago

    Maybe that was done to pick up the pink in the sky.


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    In the fifty plus years that I have been collecting, buying, and selling antique furniture I have never, let me repeat that, NEVER seen a bookcase that can be reliably attributed to a Shaker community, ANY Shaker community.

    Your bookstand is in the style of the Mission / Arts & Crafts period, but I doubt it's a piece built by any known maker. Instead it appears to be typical of designs published in many different magazines the ilk of Popular Mechanics and often as not made by boys in a school industrial arts class or at home in the cellar or garage. Old or new you can find these things for $35 and up depending on where you shop.

    For for the bookstand alone I'd take the $25 and say "thank you very much." Actually, I'd take less... But for the bookstand AND the painting, no way, no, no, no.

    I don't particularly care for the painting myself, but that's beside the point. You have a watercolor by a known listed artist, one that I suspect would appeal to many people, and all by itself that is enough for me to suggest that whomever offered you that price for both pieces was simply trying to rob you.

    If you were polite enough to say "Thank you, no" I salute you.

  • 8 years ago

    That’s interesting, card, because my first thought when I saw the bookcase was, No, that’s more Mission style.

  • 8 years ago

    When I first saw the shelving unit I assumed it was much bigger, then I saw the dimentions, wouldn't you call that a knick-knack shelf? Is it weighted at the bottom? Do the mortises come all the way through or are shelves screwed? Is it steady or wobbly? Maybe call it Shaker inspired

  • 8 years ago

    The book case has nothing to do with shaker...not even inspired by.
    The picture on the other hand is very nice.....the frame alone is worth lots more than $25.....and the picture....well some of his watercolors are priced at $400...notice I said priced at not sold for.
    Find a legit art dealer for your painting and be ready to accept $25 for your shelf.

  • 8 years ago

    I tried to find some prices on his recently sold works, but every site with info required membership/login. He's a trained and well-known artist who has exhibited in the northeast, and info indicates some of his work is still on display in NY and PA. I'm in agreement with Linda that just the frame is worth more. I can't see the quality or condition well from your photos, but assume it's good, and don't know the year it was done, but I would expect at least a $400 price tag.

  • 8 years ago

    Clean and polish the bookcase and it will be worth more. :) It's a nice small size and clean style goes well with traditional or modern furnishings. It's loosely "Arts and Crafts" or "Craftsman" ... popular styles in the turn of the last century.

    The picture is definitely worth more than the 1/2 of $25, but the economics of art dealing means the dealer has to buy pieces for 1/3 or less of the expected retail.

  • 8 years ago

    If you're making things worth more, I'm serious about the mat on the painting! :)

    I'm sure the last time it was matted the dusty rose trend was in full bloom. Right now it looks like a weird mashup between 1985 and 1910.

    But it's got a snazzy frame and it's a nice painting. Pick up the charcoal from the water's edge or something darker for the mat and it will be stunning. $tunning.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert
More Discussions