Software
Houzz Logo Print
sillypepper

Is the bench made out of wood and is it supported in the middle?

8 years ago
Contemporary Living Room · More Info

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The hearth ("bench") is made of steel-reinforced concrete. It attaches to the wall on the right side, and waterfalls to the floor on the left side. Thanks for the question!

  • 8 years ago

    Is it supported in the center? Can you share who built it for you? We're in Scottsdale. Thanks.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    It's supported by its attachment to the fireplace itself. It had to be engineered by the builder. Are you interested in contacting the builder? The reason I ask is that I know he won't talk to you to help you out unless you are hiring him. :-(

  • 8 years ago

    Yes we are, but before we would contact the builder we would like to have a price range for this hearth/bench. It is truly beautiful.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Thank you! If you have a builder, you should show it to him and tell him it's concrete. I'm sure your site conditions are different than they were at this home, and he would have to engineer it and give you a quote. I really have no idea, since it was just a part of a very large remodel we did.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you for all your assistance.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Thank you! I usually find what I need at Arizona Fireplaces. They represent every kind of firebox you can imagine,a long with a lot of accessories. They are at 20835 N. 25th Pl., Phoenix, AZ 602/343-1000. Good luck!

  • 6 years ago

    Hi Janet, I was curious if something like this hearth can be done if there is already stone on the fireplace? Also, not want it to be concrete...maybe some other material? Here is the photo of the room that I am working with. I have been struggling with what to do on either side of our fireplace! I would appreciate any opinion or advice. Thanks!


  • PRO
    6 years ago

    There isn't actually a hearth on the fireplace in the photo; it's a tile "surround" that goes floor to ceiling. However, are you asking if you can tile over your existing stone? If it is too rough, probably not. Otherwise, yes. If you have the room, you cold have a contractor put framing on top of your existing stone and give him something to tile to.

    Where are you located? This isn't one of my photos, by the way.

  • 6 years ago

    Hi Janet,

    Thank you for getting back to me. I'm in Scottsdale and the photo above is my house. I was originally asking if there could be a hearth added to this fireplace like you did in the above design? I just wasn't sure if this would be doable since our fireplace already has stone around it?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    LOL Sorry - I didn't see my fireplace image at the top of the feed! Yes, you could add a hearth, no problem. The one you're referring to is "floating", which I don't see in your application. It isn't really floating, as it has a return to the floor at the left end and attaches to a wall at the right end. Let me know if I can help.