Software
Houzz Logo Print
je1239barton

'Golden State' Rose

8 years ago

Hi, this is my first time posting. I apologize for asking first about an old HT. But I've been looking for someone who has a 'Golden State' rose, which was a significant rose for the California Nursery Company. It was the official rose of the 1939-40 Treasure Island World's Fair. I've checked at all the places mentioned in HMF: I checked Friends of Vintage Roses, Santa Rosa Junior College, and was going to see if Cliff's has it. And now I see that it is no longer (or soon). Any ideas where I might look for this rose?

Thanks!

Janet

Comments (17)

  • 8 years ago

    I would have thought Burlington Roses was your best bet, but she doesn't have it on her current list.

  • 8 years ago

    Try contacting the volunteers at the California Nursery Co., and asking them if it possibly still grows there.
    https://fremont.gov/2896/California-Nursery-Historical-Park

  • 8 years ago

    Janet, have you left your position at California Nursery Historical Park as of January 1? Gotta be a story. We must get together, friend.


  • 8 years ago

    I'm still a volunteer at the California Nursery Historical Park. We have just restored a historic little triangle bed and I thought that having three 'Golden State' roses in it would be perfect with an interpretive sign. We have great background history to go with it - a movie of Robert Pyle and George Roeding, Jr. at the Treasure Island world's fair holding what looks like a bouquet of 'Golden State' roses, some great pictures of the introduction of the rose. Here's one.

  • 8 years ago

    Neat article! You’d think that ‘Golden State’ would still be available somewhere in California, wouldn’t you? I hope you find it. Lisa

  • 8 years ago

    One would think so! Everyone I asked said that it died some years back. I could find it in Paris, Italy, or Germany, if HMF is correct!

  • 8 years ago

    What a shame that it should be lost.
    It might be possible to import it from a European source, but it's NOT AN EASY THING TO DO.

  • 8 years ago

    It could very likely be masquerading as one of the old found yellow HTs. Janet, the Santa Rosa Junior College listed it on Help Me Find as of 2014 as growing in one of their gardens. Perhaps inquiries in that direction might unearth cuttings or bud wood? It's definitely worth a try. You might also try emailing Cliff Orent to see if he has any information about who bought one from him while he was still operating.

  • 8 years ago

    Yes, I just called Santa Rosa JC this week. They no longer have 'Golden State'. How would I contact Cliff? Is he Cliff's Low Desert Garden? or another? I understood that Cliff's was closed, which is how I ended up here :O)

  • 8 years ago

    Gregg Lowery didn't have it any longer either.

  • 8 years ago

    Hi Janet. I just emailed Cliff to see if he might have any information about anyone who may have purchased it from him while he was still in operation. I've also put out feelers about anyone who may know the other grower here in the US, but haven't received any responses. Keep your fingers crossed! Kim

  • 8 years ago

    Janet, I've heard back from Cliff. The hopeful news is, he laboriously made a master database of where all the roses from Euro Desert went when he closed. He isn't sure if Golden State was still there at that time. He has just found homes for an additional 400 roses to reduce his garden to make it more manageable, and he created another database for that downsizing. He has a trip to take this next week, for a week and promised to search for that file when he returns. It isn't on his current computer, so it must be on one of the other hard drives, under a name he isn't recalling at the moment. But, he is aware of the request and willing to make the effort to see if there is any information about possible resulting plants. Yes ma'am, I thanked him profusely! And, I heard back from the one American garden still listed as containing Golden State. It's in Texas. The gentleman said he had obtained Golden State from Vintage and lost it during their drought, with MANY others. He wasn't able to water anything and lost many plants. He lamented one he lost and really enjoyed was my Lynnie. I have thanked him and offered him cuttings if he wishes them. Lots of "strikes out", with one hopeful "maybe".

    je1239barton thanked roseseek
  • 8 years ago

    Oh, my! What a database he must have. Be sure to send my thanks to Cliff and to the Texas connection!!!!


  • 8 years ago

    Multiple databases! Thank you, I have thanked them profusely.

    je1239barton thanked roseseek
  • 8 years ago

    Back on the trail of the 'Golden State' rose. I'm checking with Portland Rose garden, because they have Gold Medal winners, but haven't heard from them yet. Any other thoughts on where I might look? Someone at the museum on Treasure Island was asking about the 'Golden State'. Next year is the 80th since the world's fair there.

  • 8 years ago