Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sophieshouse

Bosch dishwashers- annoying to load?

Mary
6 years ago
I am reading some online reviews that Bosch dishwashers clean well but are annoying/inefficient to load due to poor design of the trays. What do you think, Bosch owners?

Comments (40)

• sofaspud
    6 years ago
    We have one but it's a decade old, so my comments may no longer be applicable. Ours has no electric dryer depending instead on a heat refelective interior to dry with its own heat. It is very quiet, achieving this through thicker insulation, which means the interior has a smaller footprint. On our top rack, we have one "lane" that's a little too narrow for a normally sized glass as a result, but the bottom is just wide open with a utensil holder. The new models might have more in the way of adjustment. So that's that bad. The GOOD is that it has worked without a hitch for a decade, is still going strong, and is quiet. More than makes up for a small bit of incovenience.
  • Mrs. S
    6 years ago

I have a Bosch and I don't find it annoying to load. The silverware holder can go in front or on the side of the bottom rack. I think ours is about 5 or 6 years old now. Yes, it does a great job, and I would never go back to having a heating element in the bottom, like other brands do.

This is our 2nd Bosch, and this time we upgraded to the one that has the "double-dipped" reinforced trays--defnitely worth it. The tines are very sturdy and substantial. Also, this current dishwasher has the upper 3rd tray. I love having that extra tray for little things that just won't fit elsewhere easily. I love everything about this dishwasher, actually. It is so quiet you can't tell it's on standing right next to it, except for the little red spot it shines on the floor to give you notice.

I also think I made a good choice having the control panel on the top of the door, facing up to the ceiling (I'm having trouble describing it). But when the door is closed, you don't see the control panel. I like the handle, which gives it a sleek look, and I also like the simple, sleek stainless front we chose, which has no giant logo. I'm not one to want big logos in my kitchen.

• jrb451
    6 years ago

We recently replaced a 13 year old Bosch with another one. The new one loads differently and limits the positioning of the silverware basket in the lower rack. Like Jakvis says, deeply dished plates and bowls are a little more challenging. Re: the silverware basket, we quickly adapted to the top level silverware tray and have removed the SW basket altogether. Really like this feature. You'll be surprised how quickly you can adapt to the changes.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

I also have a new Bosch and it’s very challenging to load bowls. We also removed the lower silverware container and only use the top one.

• Mary
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    For those who are finding the loading challenging would you buy it again? Thanks!
  • ifoco
    6 years ago

I like the Bosch we have and its not very old. I HATE the way it loads. I like the adjustable second rack. I like the third rack. I removed the other silverware storage to under the sink to give more space for large casseroles or pans What does not work for me are the plates the bowls and even the wine glasses. Unfortunately, that's the bulk of what most dishwashers have to wash. We have bowls that are deeper and they fall over and plates that you have to load leaving every other tine empty . They just don't work staked tightly together. The fold down tines don't help at all in this regard. Ours is mostly empty because of the above mentioned limitations. I generally run a half load cycle. I do find it annoying.

I am actually looking at other dishwashers that have better interior arrangements. I'm looking at KitchenAid which seems to have a better interior layout. Then I read their reviews and wonder which of the evils is less. Maybe I will buy their racks (if they fit) and install them in the Bosch too bad you have to make those kind of decisions and not find something that is absolutely wonderful after you spend your hard earned dollars.

Inga

• 3katz4me
    6 years ago

I don't think so but I'm not that particular about loading. I get everything in there one way or another and it all comes out clean. There are just two of us so it's not like I have to fit dishes from a family meal in there.

• Cavimum
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We have a five-year old 800 Plus series Bosch and it is very easy to load, including bowls, but I have seen different models have different configurations. The shape and thickness of your bowls and dishes can also make or break the ease of loading. Ours are all on the thin side and bowls are not very deep---more wide and shallow.

• cluelessincolorado
    6 years ago

My old one had a loading learning curve for sure, but cleaned like a dream and I really liked being able to load plastic anywhere. Miss it a lot and I would purchase another in a heartbeat.

• KD
    6 years ago

It took us a bit to figure out the best arrangement when we got our new Bosch, but we don’t find it annoying now. We don’t have the third rack - I want that in our next one for dealing with all the random little stuff.

• oneandonlybobjones
    6 years ago

Here's a video review from someone who doesn't like the rack layout for loading a Bosch DW.

• einportlandor
    6 years ago

Mine is 4 or 5 years old. LOVE it!

• Anthony C
    6 years ago

we bought a bosch in 2015 and never had any problems with loading it. Maybe we just didnt know better?

• Sue 430
    6 years ago

We love ours. The arrangement took some getting used to as it was different than the older Bosch it replaced, but once we figured out how to make it work for us all was well. We put plates in every slot (not every other as another poster mentioned) and have no issues. We use the silverware holder in the front right side and use the third top rack for things like utensils, ramekins, etc. it’s great! We have very deep bowls and they can go either on the bottom or middle rack with no problem. We put them where ever it happens to be less full at the time.

• masterbathreno
    6 years ago

Ours is a couple of years old. I still never feel like I'm running a full load. There are some nice things about it, but we're moving, and I'm looking forward to having a non-Bosch dishwasher again.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

I had a Kitchenaid and it was loud and the wheels broke off of the racks many times. I would get the Bosch again because of how quiet it is.

• vinmarks
    6 years ago

We have a Bosch. We had one in our old house as well. We didn't have problems loading it. While our new house was under construction we were in a rental house which had a Kitchenaide and we hated it. Plates would fall over, stuff wouldn't get clean, it vented out the top into the counter and stunk. It had a third rack that was useless because it was so narrow. I couldn't wait to have a Bosch again.

• elsaduty
    6 years ago

I love our Bosch (3 yrs old) and have zero issues loading it.

• alex9179
    6 years ago

We had one for a few years before our house was declared part of a federal disaster area. I loved it then and, I miss it now. However, I sprung for the 3rd rack, which increases your flexibility with smaller items and cutlery. Didn't use the basket, at all. I also gave away my chunkier dishes and started using my slim dishes and bowls, because of the fit.

I cooked at least once a day, usually more on average. Laying a section of tines down in the middle and lowering a little shelf in the bottom rack all helped puzzle things for a really full load that was clean at the end of the cycle. I loaded that thing with all kinds of pans, pots, mixer bowls and I was a lot happier with it than the one in my rental. It has very wide spacing between tines and I can't fit nearly as much as I could in my Bosch.

It just depends.

• Steve J
    6 years ago

We really like our Bosch 800. One thing I highly recommend is bringing in some of your dishes to the store and try them in your prospective models. We did that with our stoneware as it was fairly thick and glad that we did. They fit just fine, but I'd rather find out before buying than after.

• whirlpool_trainee
    6 years ago

This is my 2010 Bosch/Siemens dishwasher. The racks are a little different than most of the US baskets - but one should get the idea. I stuff it pretty full.

HTH, Alex

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Not annoyed by my Bosch d/w but as empty nesters, I would like my next one to be maybe a two drawer deal, so I can run small loads. I find it a pain to use up a lot of stuff so I can fill/run efficiently. And I will always rinse my stuff—my d/w is strictly a sanitizing tool.

• dadoes
    6 years ago

OMG, Alex. Now you'll have to explain to the folks here what's a Bob Load, LOL.

• boba1
    6 years ago

Alex, wow! If all those loads were quite heavily soiled, ..... I'm honored. Befitting the designation!!

• whirlpool_trainee
    6 years ago

Thanks Glenn and Bob. :)

Some of these loads were photographed after washing, thus the clean dishes. But overall, I try to be good and avoid rinsing (unless it's like fish or garlic etc.). What's BobLoading? It's the proper way to load a dishwasher. ;)

• bpath
    6 years ago

I really like my Bosch with third rack. Once I took out the silverware basket it was much easier to load on the bottom. Of course I always have to get used to a new dishwasher, finding the best way to fit things, but this dishwasher has been a challenge on the bottom rack. Some fold-down tines would help.

I wish dishwasher racks were interchangeable among models, and even among brands.

• homechef59
    6 years ago

I've had Bosch at all price ranges throughout the years. I liked them. Now I have bought a house with an Asko. I can't wait for it to die. It may out live me. The silverware basket is in the back of the lower rack. This means I have to open the door all the way, pull out the entire rack and drop in a spoon. I like cracking the door and dropping the spoon in the front of the rack. It's a small thing, but it bugs me every time I do it, which multiple times a day.

• mayanl5
    6 years ago

Bosch benchmark here. Love love it. The silverware upper rack lines up perfectly with our silverware drawer. Amazing. So quiet and I like putting plastic anywhere too. Yes you do have to clean the filter regularly and the tines are a little too close on the bottom rack for big items but certainly not deal breaker.

• Amy
    3 years ago

I have a Bosch and a Miele. The Miele racks are so much better. The dishes in the bosch fall over all the time. When unloading the dishwasher you have to pour water out of lots of the items. I’ve watched videos to try to learn how to load it to no avail.

• doreycrouse
    3 years ago

We have had a Bosch 300 series for 3 years after owning a Whirlpool Point Voyager machine for approximately 7 years. I will be completely honest with you and state that a majority of people would be able to utilize the racks in the Whirlpool better due to the uniform shape and sizes of the rack slots. However, if you spend more time to figure out better arrangements in the Bosch, it fits significantly more. We have the 3rd rack and removed the cutlery basket to increase bottom rack space. With that being said, I can hold 3 days worth of dishes in comparison to the 2 days that the Whirlpool could hold. This is simply because of the slightly tighter rack spacing. Some people do not like this, but I have never had an issue with it. All of our dishes come out significantly more clean than in the Whirlpool. We actually put bowls in the bottom rack on the right, and put some items like strainers or small pots on the top rack with greater utilization of space!

• boba1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Alex, I'd forgotten about those videos. To think after 15+ years, the moniker created because of aw.org buds watching me load dishwashers is still being used. But my my 5.5 y/o KitchenMore has bit the dust. And KitchenAids are nowhere to be found available around here until September. So I'm going with a Bosch 800 series. And I've never played with a Bosch. I'm gong to attach examples of my baking/roasting dishes as well as cereal bowls I'm so used to placing them on the side or back and the bowls just all in a neat row of 9 in the front. So Alex and Dorey, where can I place these as well as fry pans? I'd seen a viedo on Bosch web site of collapsing some of the tines in the bottom and placing a similar Pyrex dish in the gap in the bottom rack facing the center. Jut seems like such a waste of space.

• jane__ny
    2 years ago

I bought a Kitchen Aid almost 2 yrs ago and am so impressed with the cleaning. I've had various dish-washers over the years, including a Kitchen Aid and went back to it because I wanted heated drying.

It has a third rack which I do not use because I can put higher pans and tall glasses on the top shelf.

This machine cleans perfectly. I have not had a problem with it at all. It is totally quiet. I'm very happy with the cleaning and drying.

Jane

• boba1
    2 years ago

Jane, thank you for the response, but as I mentioned in my post, KitchenAids won't be available until August or September according to the stores where I live. And I need a dishwasher now.

• jrb451
    2 years ago

In our Bosch, that Pyrex dish would be placed against the outer edge of the lower rack on the right hand side. No adjustment to any tines necessary.

• Lukki Irish
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I love my Bosch and find it easy to load for my needs. You do have to fiddle a bit to get the hang of the rack designs, but I like them much better than the Maytag we had for 13 years. I spent (wasted) a lot of money on dishes trying to find plates that would fit in it. With the Bosch I have, that pyrex dish would go along the very back or on the left of the bottom shelf or often times I lay it down in the second rack. I have some soup dishes that are similar in size & shape as the pie plates. They fit in the rails on the right that face the back or the long set of rails along the back. (I hope that makes sense)

• Rs S
    2 years ago

I have a Bosch. Super quiet, gets everything very clean. But I hate the rack layout. I can’t get nearly the amount of dishes I could with other dishwashers I’ve had. It’s very hard to place bowels and glasses. I do like the top pullout utensil tray though.

• Kathy Stuart
    2 years ago

I agree. we dont use that many plates and when we do, i wash by hand. we use many glasses and bowls which do not load well.

• Lise Hedstrom
    2 months ago

My huband with a Ph.D. in physical chemistry has decided that he knows better than Bosch. He loads the plates backwards, the opposite or facing the wall. That drives me crazy.

• Paula Elk
    7 days ago

My Bosch is very quiet and cleans so well! I just HATE the cutlerly baskets. I would do anything for new ones.