Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patricia_smith2468057

Tray ceiling paint colors dilemma

Patricia Smith
6 years ago
So I recently painted my master bedroom SW Canvas Tan. The ceilings throughout the house are SW Ceiling Bright White. The trim is SW Dover White in semi-gloss. The original design had the wall color on the vertical parts of the tray. I hated the racing stripe effect and told the painters to just cover the stripes with the ceiling paint until I decided what to do. Now it’s time to do something.

I’ve read a lot of “what color paint?” threads and looked at Houzz inspiration photos, but i still don’t have a plan. I think my main problem is that the ceiling feels overdone in such a small (12x17} bedroom. It’s like the builder put in a double-tray just to say the bedroom had one, not because it needed one.

I realize it will ultimately be a personal choice of what feels right in the space. But I’m curious how others have addressed similar ceilings. And please don’t get hung up on the ugly ceiling fan! It’s going away. I’m not looking for wow factor, just calm, serene, and balanced. I included a photo of the bed for an idea of the colors I’m working with. I want the ceiling to be an asset! Right now it feels like a blah blob with two whites that look awful next to each other. Please help!!!

Comments (23)

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

Laurel Bern just did a ceiling post on her blog.

• torreykm
    6 years ago

If you had not just painted, my first suggestion would have been to close up the smaller opening. As that probably isn't something you want to get into, I'd paint it to match your trim, or a very pale blue (my choice).

• Carrie B
    6 years ago

I re-paint rooms fairly regularly, and change colors, and I do it myself. I don't love painting. Painting ceilings is hard! So... I'm a big fan of all-white ceilings.

• gustaviatex
    6 years ago

Do check out Laurel Bern's blog post on ceilings as mentioned above. Here is the link My ceilings are giving me nightmares during the day

• Patricia Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wow! Thanks for the link to Laurel Bern’s blog post! That was an inspiration! So, to sum up the general consensus thus far, maybe I should start with painting the first two tiers to match the trim, but in a flat. Then the actual ceiling could either be the trim color or....I could get brave and paint it blue! My adjoining bath is SW Sea Salt. Is that too dark? I’m painting the ceiling myself, so it can be done in stages.
  • T Hill
    6 years ago
    I would paint out the entire tray, both vertical and horizontal the same color as the wall. (With exception of the trim of course.)
  • lascatx
    6 years ago

Reading that blog post makes me want to rip out my tray ceiling. I have the same double tray issue you do plus a lower ceiling portion in front of my windows and French doors out to the patio. My center portion is not as wide, but the number of stripes is the same. What you did for the short term may be as good as it gets.

My room was wallpapered with a floral stripe and two rows of border around the trays. We painted it ll the same in a pastel/off-white but I got bored quickly and wanted more color and a blue ceiling. We did that and started the blue at the 10 ft level to avoid some of the striping (and no wallpaper borders!) so it's kind of like yours is now but with a pastel blue on those to layers and the very top. It's so much better than it was, but from time to time I think about changing it again. The blue is pastel and the contrast with the layers of crown trim is less than with the wall paint, so it may be better than the wall color -- but I don't love it. I'm still not sure how to deal with that ceiling. If you figure it out, let me know.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

I like it best with the entire ceiling, including trim stripes, painted one color, or with only the topmost part painted a different color, especially the pale blue posted above. One of the ceilings in Laurels post is also light blue, though not a tray, and I think it looks really nice.

• torreykm
    6 years ago

Sea Salt is a lovely color. I would consider using that on the ceiling.

• Patricia Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @lascatx I can’t imagine dealing with wallpaper border racing stripes! That must have been one interesting room! Your experience is why I just covered up the stripes initially to give my brain time to adjust to the other color changes. Unlike the pros who can look at an empty space and visualize a completed room, I have to do things in small increments and layers. I eventually get to a good result, but it is painfully slow. Unfortunately I find as I’m getting older that painting is not as trivial as it once was and ceilings are doubly hard on the back and neck! That’s why I reached out for assistance so I can hopefully get these ceiling trays right the first time.

And I finally figured out why that ceiling is so important to me - it’s the first thing I see every morning!!!
  • AB HumVee
    6 years ago
    Sea salt! The muted blue will feel sort of neutral, like the sky and add a serene feel & add a touch of special to your room.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

painting that all white would be a waste of a good feature. I'd prob go dark if it was in my room. but here are some others

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Take a nod from the blue in your bedding and paint just the flat part of tray blue. Then add pretty chandelier.
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Love a pale blue ceiling...then the skies are always clear...looks like it would work with your bedding too.

Here's how we handled the tray in the exercise room.

And here's the soft blue in the guest room....

• artistsharonva
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I like the colors you have.

Maybe consider closing the middle.

Hope that helps visualize the possibilities.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

I played with colors on the ceiling...though with crude tools. But just to give you an idea of how the various options might work...there is not right or wrong...only what you like.

• Patricia Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks to all who have responded! I really appreciate the photos and mock-ups. Lots of good ideas to explore. I can’t paint for a couple weeks, but I’m going to start by painting that top section SW Sea Salt. Since it’s already in the master bath and matches the bedding, it feels like a safe choice to add some unexpected color. Not sure I’m prepared to do the entire ceiling that color, but I’ll see where it leads. Stay tuned! I’ll post photos as I work through it.
  • Patricia Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Let’s assume the blue ceiling is a keeper....
    What would you suggest for a ceiling fan replacement? DH is adamant we must have a fan with light. No chandelier for me. Sigh. But he’s okay with an upgrade. Should I switch to white or just get a more updated version in ORB? Not sure I’m interested in introducing new metals. This is one of those times when I don’t know whether to minimize or emphasize. Is smaller an option since the bed is right under it? If you have specific recommendations, please share photos or links. I appreciate everyone’s feedback!
  • caligirl5
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I went with minimize and installed this fan in both my bedrooms. Happy with it so far!

https://www.build.com/monte-carlo-discus-trio/s1187824?uid=2846711

I'd also consider a simple, light wood fan in your room.

https://www.build.com/craftmade-tg523/s1211039?uid=2894023

• lascatx
    6 years ago

We did a chandelier and I love it, though I do miss the fan. We got a narrow tower fan -- does the trick but prefer a ceiling fa over the horizontal breeze.

You could do something like this fan/chandelier combo-- if the size works.

LN Modern Chrome Crystal LED Ceiling Fan With Foldable Blades · More Info

• Patricia Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @caligirl5 I really like the white one you recommended. Thanks so much for sharing!
  • HU-672235910
    3 years ago

I see this post was from 2 years ago, but curious to see what you landed on as the solution!