Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Mini 2017

I have the ability to turn any hosta into a mini. I am just lucky I guess. Show your minis today.

Hey Andy!

Comments (38)

• zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Miniskirt

Little Devil

i agree, Paula, any Hosta can be a mini!

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    6 years ago

Here are a couple of my mini's

Blue Mouse Ears

Bitsy Gold, taking it's time to get growing. Maybe I will try it in a pot this year.

Pandora's Box

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    6 years ago

Pandora’s Box was growing in a pot. A squirrel uprooted the whole plant, this piece I decided to try in the garden, the slugs ignored it!

Stilleto above.

Blue Mouse Ears above.
    Sherry

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

Paula that Pink Floyd really got me!

We always have room for 1 more mini or 10 or...

Love the Mini Skirt's. Sherry Surfer Girl, Dragon Tails & LT are so cute. Kathy Little Devil is right up my alley.

Appletini

BME

Cracker Crumbs
    Curly Fries

Dixie Chick

Frosted Mini Hearts

Holy Mouse Ears

Frosted Mouse Ears

Giantland Mouse Cheese

Gold Drop - still surprises me that it is a mini.

6 years ago

A few more.

Itsy Bitsy Spider

Lemon Frost

Lemon Lime

Lakeside Dot Com or Peanut (one in the same or not)

Lakeside Down Sized

Oze

Plug Nickel

Ruffled Mouse Ears

Stiletto

Strawberry Yogurt

6 years ago

One more

Woodland Elf

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

peren, those mini pillows are so cute! I love that Lemon Frost!

Blue Mouse Ears

Cotillion

Country Mouse

Cracker Crumbs

Cream Edger

Golden Tiara

Harry van Trier

Iced Lemon

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    6 years ago

Peren your minis are wonderful. I have a few ,but I am really a medium to large grower.

Bill Dresses Blue had to have it!
    Seedling from Blizzard
    Ripple Effect
    Tears of Joy
    Ken’s Fuzz has a fuzzy surface
    Dew Drop
    Cherry Tomato

• Saija_Finland
    6 years ago

Peren.all I ❤️ your minihostas. Beautiful photos.

Saija

• garyz6ohio
    6 years ago

I didn't take any individual pictures of my minis, but here are a couple of pictures of my mini beds.

another view

I have X-Rated, White Dove, Tiny Bubbles, Teeny-weenie Bikini, Stiletto, Strawberry Yogurt, subcrocea, Silver Mine, Quarter Note, Pineapple Zest, Pink Panther, Pinwheel, Pipsqueak, Pixie Vamp, Pandora;s Box, Ogon Otome, Medusa, Manzo, Little Bit, Little Devil, Little Maddie, Little Treasure, Lakeside Whizzit, Lakeside ZingerLakeside Down Sized, Lakeside Elfin Fire, Jimmy Cricket, Kabitan, Kinbotan, Illicit Affair,Itsy Bitsy Spider, Heart's Content, Hidden Cove, Hide Out,Hope, Heart and Soul, Heart Broken, Fukurin ko Mame, Enchantress, Faithful Heart, Dinner Mint, Cracker C rumbs, Cookie Crumbs, Cameo, Cherish, Blue Silver. Baby Bunting, and Baby Booties. Thanks Paula for doing the Alphabet again - even with all your trials. You are truly special.

6 years ago

Thank you Karin, saija & sunnywood!

Karin as usual I had to look up some of yours. Cotillion and Sitting Pretty are very cute, not a lot of info on Harry van Trier. According to the HL Lemon Frost and Iced Lemon are identical so it will be really interesting to see them over time.

sunnywood well of course you had to have Bill Dress's Blue! Apart from being your namesake it is really good looking. I did not know Country Mouse was a sport of it. Tears of Joy is adorable. I think most of us started with medium to large, Stiletto was my first mini.

garyz that is quite a collection!

• jan_on zone 5b
    6 years ago

I don’t have many minis, and not good individual pics of the few I have. ThIs one, to the right of Lakeside Cupcake, is a NOID. It has quite noticeable paler margins in spring; they become greener later.

Does this look familiar to anyone?

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    6 years ago

love everyone's pics!..such big collections of minis..I have Blue Mouse Ears, Gold Drop, Golden Tiara, Little Wonder, Tiny Tears and Venusta..a Blue Mouse Ears that had heaved and was replanted..it fell apart..now I have several really small ones..

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    6 years ago

Allan P MacConnell (?) I am just questioning the ID. So feel free to let me know. Thanks

BME

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

I have some shy mini's, they're kinda hiding behind stuff.

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

sherrygirl, such perfect, clean minis!

I love your garden shots perren, such an awesome place you have!

Karin, your pip shots, and emerging shots are so delicious.

apologies, had a few beers tonight, celebrating the high 70's we had today, while realizing it really is NOT what I want for February weather.

6 years ago

StevePA..I like that big one on the left in back..is it one of these?..Empress Wu?..Tyrannosaurus Rex?..Blue Angel?..Big Daddy?..Elegans?..can you tell that I don't know..

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

That would be Eola Sapphire, one I've had for many years I bought at a hardware store's nursery dept. Just under 3 feet tall.

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

Thanks Paula for keeping it going!

Alakazaam

Bedazzled ....center

Blue Mouse Ears

Curly Fries

Dorset Clown seedling ....there is two in the pot will need to separate in spring

Lakeside Neat Petite

Lakeside Cupcake

Lakeside Meter Maid

Lemon Lime

• mbug_gw
    6 years ago

...more mini's

Little Red Joy

Little Treasure

Mini Skirt

Moonstruck

Mouse Trap

Pandora's Box

Peanut (or what peren said)

Sun Mouse in bloom

Tongue Twister

6 years ago

StevePA..I couldn't guess Eola Sapphire since I've never heard of it..but NOW I know to buy it when I see it..

• old_dirt 6a
    6 years ago

I've been looking forward to the mini's. I hope to create a new "thingy" with mini's and wanted to see various ones from everyone. Thanks for all the enabling. I do have a few here.

Sunlight Child

Holy Mouse Ears

Fireworks

Cherish

Blue Mouse Ears

6 years ago

old _dirt..Blue Mouse Ears looks great in that unique "pot"..

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    6 years ago

No doubt about it, I have to get a Curly Fries! So many lovely photos here! Love theses minis.

Sherry

6 years ago

mctavish9..great pics..I recently checked out the "little hostas" book..the pics were great..minis are just adorable..

• Kindness Matters (NE Ohio 6a)
    6 years ago

mctavish, you know I gotta ask...what is that blue beauty in the middle of your first pic (not a mini)? Love all of these! Maybe my mini collection will need to grow a bit...

• beverlymnz4
    6 years ago

There is always room for a mini hosta - or 17.

17 Pandora's Box between Strip Tease and Candy Kisses.

Kifukurin Ko Mame

Cracker Crumbs

Frosted Mouse Ears

Green Eyes and Venusta

Lemon Lime (needs some rearranging this year)

Quilting Bee

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

mctavish, great combinations! I will get a lot of small ones and minis this year and hope I will be able to make a few nice arrangements as well.

beverly, I always thought Pandora's box is hard to grow? That's an unbelievable patch you got! 17! I could not find one here so I took Cameo instead...

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    6 years ago

I love the minis. I owe my entire obsession to dhaven. And now it's on! I have a few and am trying to mix them in with larger hostas as well. Last year, I wanted soe of my minis to stand out from their friends, so I created a raised area for them. I'm looking forward to them filling in this season.

Two of my favorites are Baby Bunting and Cherish. But I love them all and have quite a few still on my wish list.

I got this BME and friend in one pot at a garden center last Summer. I divided the blue from the other one and planted them separately.

I have the Little Hosta Book. It's really wonderful. So is Carolyn's Shade Garden website.

• Barb Ure Drouillard 6b Canada
    6 years ago

mbug, what beautiful photos of your minis!

Here are mine:

Baby Bunting
    Blue Ice (I think it is a mini - at least it is in my garden)
    Blue Mouse Ears
    Cherish
    Church Mouse
    Cracker Crumbs
    Frosted Mouse Ears
    Holy Mouse Ears
    Lemontini
    Mighty Mouse

6 years ago

A few more

Pandora's Box
    Popo
    Silver Threads and Golden Needles
    Surfer Girl
    Tears of Joy
    Tiny Tears

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    6 years ago

'Cat's Eyes' late April last year....

Pieter

• mctavish9
    6 years ago

Extroverted Introvert, The blue in my first picture is Winfield Blue. It's been a good grower for me.

I'm glad you folks have kept these pictures going. It is keeping me focused on the fact that it will stop snowing sometime in my life. There are many things I want to do in the garden this year - taking more pictures is one of them.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    6 years ago

Barb, I love love your Baby Bunting!

6 years ago
    papamama, thanks. I'm always worried Baby Bunting isn't coming back in the spring because I think it is a late bloomer or pipper.
    6 years ago
    oops, that should have been popmama :)
  • zkathy z7a NC
    6 years ago

Barb, that’s funny because Baby Bunting is one of my earliest risers, also one of the first ones down in the fall. I’ll look tomorrow and see what it’s doing this year.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH