Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jstropic

Seedlings compared

jstropic (10a)
6 years ago

Please feel free to show off your seedlings.

These are seedlings from a selfing of RF/Junihitoe.

Triple

Double

Single

And the one that wanted to be different lol

Comments (18)

• Julie Wignell
    6 years ago

I love 'the one that wanted to be different'! That's my favourite!

jstropic (10a) thanked Julie Wignell
  • catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Jody, that's a great show! I vote for the single :-)

Anja

jstropic (10a) thanked catsandhippies
  • jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Julie, the color on that one is really vibrant - you can't miss her!

Thanks Anja, it was a nice surprise to see them all blooming.

Donna, I am disappointed in the lack of color in that one, hopefully she will get better with a year in your care. I will say that they are very willing to take pollen so.... :)

• lokai99
    6 years ago

Really, I like them all. The single is something I'd buy myself if I saw it for sale. The triple is full and lively. The double is nicely patterned. The different one has a really lovely recurred thing going on. For me, single is my favorite just because I am partial to singles.

jstropic (10a) thanked lokai99
  • dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    6 years ago

I'll probably try something on the second flower, any suggestions? At first when she started to open I though it might be Ratatouille but her shape is much different. Maybe I'll stick some Santos on her, and maybe the striped leaf Sonatini; those should spruce her up, who knows!!!

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Donna, I wonder what another selfing would do? Blanca? Or Graffiti or Exotic Star. I have Exotic Star starting to flower and Graffiti flowering. You might have good luck with that seedling because she has less color and striping which exposes more spots. Thinking of this because of the discussion on H. Pardinum. Lots of possibilities

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    6 years ago

You're right of course and I just carefully removed the pollen from the first two flowers and they aren't nearly ready to pollinate yet so I will have time to think.

I will have 4 chances so.. I will follow your advice and self one and perhaps try Exotic Star, Giraffe and one of the striped leaf ones. That's my plan for now at least!!

jstropic (10a) thanked dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
  • catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Donna, yours is beautiful but Jody's is just outstanding, I would buy it too if it was for sale :-) But if you self it there could be a chance that the seedlings get that nice red marking in the throat as an extra :-)) Santos is of course always a good idea and what about Sonatini #1623? I could send you fresh pollen if you like...

Jody, what did you put on yours?

Anja

• lokai99
    6 years ago

Oooh, Donna I quite agree that Giraffe could make it even more special. I also agree with Exotic Star... and you know, I do love 1623.

Jody, is this single consistently a single? Or might it act like Jewel and give fully double, single, or semi double ?

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anja, I was thinking along the lines I mentioned to Donna. I also have Jewel blooming. Since she is white and scented..... so many hippis are starting to bloom now. ...so many choices ! I have some more of this cross that are sending up scapes so we will see how they turn out. I'm thinking the seedling Donna has might be a great parent because of its less saturated color. So far I only have selfs of this, so I'm not sure what to expect from another cross. Hoping we get lots of seeds to share so we can all find out together. :)

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anja and Lokai, hopefully, the original bulb blooms this year and I can self it. Then I can share seeds. I will let you know. And thanks for the kind comments. Jody

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Jody, if you need one more choice I could send you pollen of #1623. Did you self the seedlings too?

Does anybody know if selfs from a single could be double when there is a double in the singles background?

Jody, it is so nice when many hippis are in bloom in spring! Please post pictures of the other flowers too :-)))

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anja, thank you so much for your offer! I will messsge you.

These are the seed pods that are developing

Mozaique x RF/Junihito

RF x Blossom Peacock

Pretty Woman x self

Pretty Woman x Jewel

Red flash x (self?)

• lokai99
    6 years ago

So far, most of my attempts have failed this spring, but I might have good news.

My Yellow Star had 3 scapes. I pollinated all flowers with a variety of frozen pollens. All failed. On the third scape, I pollinated with the same frozen pollens, but this time I had a fresh Chico blooming, so I dusted all flowers with Chico also.

All have begun to swell and turn upright. It is too early to tell, but if I should get seeds, I am happy to share. I am guessing that Chico may be the father because that is the only different pollen I tried.

jstropic (10a) thanked lokai99
  • berkeleysgr8
    5 years ago

Yellow Star and Chico could be a very interesting pairing! I look forward to seeing the first blooms in a few years, assuming you get viable seeds!

jstropic (10a) thanked berkeleysgr8
  • lokai99
    5 years ago

I did not... :(

But I have very mature pods on Machala of some interesting combinations.

This year, Yellow Star was neither pod fertile nor pollen fertile for me..... perhaps in the future.

• berkeleysgr8
    5 years ago

Since I love cybisters, your Machala crosses will be eagerly awaited too!

Sponsored
More Discussions