Software
Houzz Logo Print
bettina4579

Is my contractor over charging me?

8 years ago

I live in the Bay Area, and I want to remodel my single story, 1200 sq ft home. It was built in 1971 and nothing has bee done to the house to update it; everything is original. I want to remodel the entire house, and update the exterior as well. I am still getting bids from contractors. One contractor gave me a bid of 180K, and it only included remodeling the two small bathrooms, electrical, plumbing, moving the HVAC to the attic, and removing the popcorn texture from the ceiling. It didnt even include a new kitchen or windows; and materials were also separate! The second contractor told me 118K to remove the popcorn texture, vault the ceiling in the kitchen, and move the HVAC to the attic, and add two french doors, thats it.


Are they over charging? I know labor is very expensive, but I feel like I could do more to my home with my budget. I feel like they are trying to use up all my budget without doing much work. Am I wrong?

Comments (8)

  • 8 years ago

    It's kind of hard to tell. SF and NY are two of the most expensive areas in the entire country to build or remodel; tell us what you want, then we can start to think about if it's expensive.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    How are you getting the bids? Do you have a detailed set of specs? If not, then your pricing will be all over the place - like it sounds now. Which means the bids are almost worthless. The contractors need to be bidding on the same job so you can compare accurately. FYI, contractors will bid high if they don't want the job. Sort of like a PITA fee on a job that is too small.

    Who is going to handle the details of this extensive remodeling? I mean someone that will over see the GC because you need someone to manage all the details. That is the person you need to get first to nail down the specs with you and then they will also have contacts in the industry so you don't get nailed to the wall with those PITA fees.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    For a whole house Reno including exterior the 180k comes to 150 per sq ft. That is extremely low! In my high cost of living area renos average 500 to $700 per sqft when including kitchens and baths. Even in low COLAs expect to pay $250 per sq ft for average work. It is cheaper and easier for contractors to build new and essentially your scope of work is going to give you a new house. So expect to pay more than what a house your size cost to build in your area.

  • 8 years ago

    I get it. It's a lot of money for stuff that's not even that fun. I mean, it's not like you are going to have a dinner party to have everyone oooh and ahhhh over new HVAC ductwork. At least you can show off a shiny new kitchen, but showing off a flat textured ceiling just isn't the same :-D

    Maybe it will help to look at it from a different perspective. Whenever I undertake a project like that, I ask myself two questions: One, how do these renovations change the value of my house? And two, is it worth it to me to spend that amount to get what I want? The contractors are telling you what it is worth to them to complete the renovations; now it is up to you to decide whether it's worth it to you. To me, that doesn't sound expensive for that scope of work, but there are a lot of things that we don't know about the scope of the project.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    " I know labor is very expensive,"

    Having lived for nearly 20 yrs and worked in CA myself. I can tell you CA has the cheapest labor available, forced me to leave town cheap. Refocus on QUALITY.

  • 8 years ago

    Good friends bought a 1000 square foot dump 25 years ago in Bernal Heights for $200,000. Since then, all they've done is repair and maintain. It's worth $2,000,000 now. I wouldn't even try to guess what it costs to remodel in SF.

  • 6 years ago

    How much did you finally end up paying?